GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Ooo Matron !
2,207 Posts
You might find you can just squeeze it in your garage.

For example, my garage is very narrow (modern house, so single garages are). I drive into the garage until the mirrors are level with the door, then fold them in (i.e. they act as a guide). But more often than not, because I'm aiming to be as central as possible, I can't get out of the driver's side door. So I have to shufty over and exit via the passenger side (driver's seat right back, hoick my left leg over, then my arse over to the centre console and then pull my remaining leg over). I've also carpet on both walls so I can open the door onto the wall without damaging the door.

Finally, after a lost a fair bit of weight 2 years ago, and hence a few inches off my beer gut, that does aid in squeezing in and out (oo-er missus !).

·
R35 Section manager
11,053 Posts
Yeah I know, but I don't want to accept that.

My garage is big enough for a small car like an RX7, but not a GTR, so my only option is driveway.

My house is camera'd up but we all know they don't give a toss about that.

I was thinking of adding several trackers to it, so if they find the first one they will think thats it.

Ram post as well as a steering lock and Ghost 2.

Is there anything to stop them lifting it I can install?

I have a van as well, so doubt I would leave the GTR anywhere else at night other than my driveway.

Cheers for your help

Theres a post on here somewhere with 35s in small garages. You would be surprised what they can fit into

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I think the key is to never get complacent - just take sensible precautions/measures and enjoy the cars for what they are. I was really nervous when I first got mine, always checking the Tracker was working etc etc but then got more confident. But I still take care when filling up, always leave a space between car in front when at lights etc to minimise risk of getting carjacked. I'm not paranoid, just don't ever get complacent.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You don't often hear of GTRs getting stolen - I can only recall two or three being reported on here... I remember one that got nicked from a hotel car park some years back. They certainly don't seem to get stolen in the way some other high performance cars do. I think you're being overly paranoid about it, personally!

·
Registered
142 Posts
You might find you can just squeeze it in your garage.

For example, my garage is very narrow (modern house, so single garages are). I drive into the garage until the mirrors are level with the door, then fold them in (i.e. they act as a guide). But more often than not, because I'm aiming to be as central as possible, I can't get out of the driver's side door. So I have to shufty over and exit via the passenger side (driver's seat right back, hoick my left leg over, then my arse over to the centre console and then pull my remaining leg over). I've also carpet on both walls so I can open the door onto the wall without damaging the door.

Finally, after a lost a fair bit of weight 2 years ago, and hence a few inches off my beer gut, that does aid in squeezing in and out (oo-er missus !).
I also have a new built narrow garage but it’s enough. I’ve marked it with A little line using paint outside and make sure my tyres fall on the edge of it, that made it really easy as I just drive straight in and I am so used to it by now. Also I have put a brick inside that stops the car tyres couple of inches away from the wall. And yes also have carpet fitted on driver’s side wall 😄

·
Registered
142 Posts
If someone is targeting your car and been watching you, doesn’t matter if it’s in a locked garage as it can still be stolen. Nothing is 100% for professional thieves. I had electric shutter fitted with alarm so that might be an idea. It’s a new home build narrow garage and I can fit my BMW 5 series without any problems and GTr’s are about 40mm less wider. If it’s a stand alone garage, extension is a possibility and worth for future supercars you are going to own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think you're being overly paranoid about it, personally!
Ok great, so the vibe I'm getting is, do what you can...cool.

Someone said about the loud exhaust, but thats a double edged sword for me as a base jumper, I'm often getting home in the small hours so can't hack the neighbours off with that.

Thanks everyone, I think a steering lock, ghost 2, ram post and my cctv should suffice for an insurance claim if needed.

In regards to GAP insurance, I thought that was just for cars that are financed...I'll check it out anyway

Cheers!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ok great, so the vibe I'm getting is, do what you can...cool.

Someone said about the loud exhaust, but thats a double edged sword for me as a base jumper, I'm often getting home in the small hours so can't hack the neighbours off with that.

Thanks everyone, I think a steering lock, ghost 2, ram post and my cctv should suffice for an insurance claim if needed.

In regards to GAP insurance, I thought that was just for cars that are financed...I'll check it out anyway

Cheers!
Use ALA prices are very competitive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Reminds of some years back when I bought an Evo 10,only to find out when I got it home that it would not fit in the bluddy garage.
..so I had a bit of a restless nite,kept looking out the window making sure the thing was still there in the early hours

only to discover in the morning that I had left the fecking keys in the ignition all night :D

·
R35 Section manager
11,053 Posts
Reminds of some years back when I bought an Evo 10,only to find out when I got it home that it would not fit in the bluddy garage.
..so I had a bit of a restless nite,kept looking out the window making sure the thing was still there in the early hours

only to discover in the morning that I had left the fecking keys in the ignition all night :D
Bloody brilliant 🤣👍

·
Registered
656 Posts
It looks really bad in uk. We don't have that much theft where I live tough. Here is how I secure mine at night. Also installed a ring doorbell. Lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It looks really bad in uk. We don't have that much theft where I live tough. Here is how I secure mine at night. Also installed a ring doorbell. Lol View attachment 265164
I thought about this.

I'm assuming this is a daily for you, does moving the other car every time bother you? I'm sure its worth moving everytime just for the peace of mind.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts