GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,as in the title I'm thinking of removing the AC... Thing is this the sort of job I can do or am I looking at having to take it to a garage to have them take it out. And don't know how true it is but some say with the wight taken out my 33 I should see a bit more proformance. Any pleases with this.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its not really a hard job at all. Hardest part is taking out the headlights to remove the front radiator. Depending on the rules in your country you should get your coolant drained professionally so it isnt released into the atmosphere. I am doing the opposite and am replacing what was stripped out as i preferred to be cool in the car, as my RB30 sucks in a heap of heat especially in summer. I figured with mine if i notice the power loss i will just add more HP. It uses almost nothing though if the AC pump is not running. And i could always lose the same weight myself as im replacing with the AC. haha

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Had mine completely stripped at RK TUNING just to be sure!

·
Registered
154 Posts
ac

stripped mine out of the r32-not too bad but getting pump bracket off was a bit of a bugger-saves weight rather than power,
Missed it a bit this summer though!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi all,as in the title I'm thinking of removing the AC... Thing is this the sort of job I can do or am I looking at having to take it to a garage to have them take it out. And don't know how true it is but some say with the wight taken out my 33 I should see a bit more proformance. Any pleases with this.. :thumbsup:
I had the AC removed for me at MGT Racing. Removing AC components is always one of the first things I do with any car I'm having 'tuned'. On the Scooby, all of the AC components removed saved about 25KG! I'm sure it was something similar in my R34. Although you are not increasing actual HP, you are improving power to weight ratio.

I've not measured the actual weight loss in my R34, but in the scooby, losing AC (25KG), losing sound deadening (25KG), fibreglass front and rear bumpers (10KG), Carbon bonnet and bootlid (10KG) replacing the front seats with fixed back Sparcos (30KG), was a decent weight loss exercise at 100KG, and made a noticeable difference to braking, cornering and acceleration.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had the air con removed in my Subaru years ago and would never do it again, I feel lucky to have it in my RS Evo.
As far as I'm concerned any gain to be found with weight saving or performance isn't worth cooking for in the summer, the more comfortable and relaxed you are the better you will drive. ;)
Unless it is for competition use of course.
J

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Mine isn't a track day toy only.
What does 15-20kg save you on a lap of Brands Hatch in a 1400kg+ car?
0.2 seconds?

So the air-con stays and it works well. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts