GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im definitely toying with the idea of getting an AP, but what are peoples thoughts on the following:-

Do you think a car that has used an AP would be less sort after than a standard car, personally i would definitely want a standard car.

I will almost certainly sell before the warranty is up

I suppose you could put back to standard before selling but if you dont declare that the ecu has been reflashed then the buyer subsequently finds out his warranty is invalid further down the line then things could get messy

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
buyer beware and in the absence of any misrepresentation of the item for sale..........................

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
if you uninstalled it, selling what you have at the time. history is not miss representation

how many cars have been tracked but the buyer says "only ever driven on the road" how do you dis-prove it besides coming to the forum

·
Registered
187 Posts
do you have your car yet?
if not then just wait until you get it and its run in properly/get the 1200mile service. drive it like that for a bit, you might find that its fast enough already for you, lets be honest with or without the AP its gonna be fast

·
Registered
565 Posts
how would you know?
Robbie,

I think the only way someone would know was if they paid for a pre-purchase inspection.

This has become really popular in the States for people buying used.

They look for 2 things:

Number of launches (Doesn't affect us in Europe)

Secondly they are looking for the boost figures and the number of flashes across the CAN Bus showing re-flashes (Thistle correct me if i have gotten this technical bit wrong????)

This shows instantly if a Cobb AP has been fitted.

It would not put me off buying, but if someone is going to pay for this inspection then there is every chance they will use the results of it to haggle the price down.

Once the Stealers cotton on that they can make money from the inspection as well, expect it to become common practice.

Maxxwaxx,

If you are going to sell before warranty expires then think twice about the AP, unless you intend to modify the car for a specific reason, e.g. track or quarter mile use with other mods over and above the AP.

The AP makes a huge difference, but are you really going to benefit from it's improvement on the road on a regular basis? Yip probably but you will have to weigh this up versus possible problems selling on at a later date.

Am i fitting one, absolutely...........I am not helping am i.....lol

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was hoping no one was going to mention this, but this is what I was thinking too.
Its really annoying, but if I was based near an open minded dealer like MH, I wouldn't think twice, but Im getting a bad feeling about the dealers down south, mine being motorline...first they wont fit the y pipe, next thing they dont have a technician available.

I just hope they loosen up a bit because Phil is a nice guy and they other service and sales guys seem good too. Glyn Hopkins is my next nearest dealer and Im not hearing great things about them either.

At the moment I am looking to just wait and get stuffed on official Nismo parts, more to keep things official and keep them on side.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Guys, you have a Nissan GTR for crying out loud. Not tuning it is just rude. They are to be tuned, and trust me, the public looking for 2nd hand GTRs will for sure tune it. This is not o posh show car. It is a Jap performance car which simply needs tuning just like the old skylines, subaru's and evo's.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Guys, you have a Nissan GTR for crying out loud. Not tuning it is just rude. They are to be tuned, and trust me, the public looking for 2nd hand GTRs will for sure tune it. This is not o posh show car. It is a Jap performance car which simply needs tuning just like the old skylines, subaru's and evo's.
Well put :thumbsup:

Stop worrying about resale values and warranty issues and enjoy the car how you choose :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I concour, even with a neutral hat on

It's not a Hyundai, Kia, or even wine bar supercar

History shows tuning of GT-R since the 80's, given time there will be more modified 35's than standard.

People will be pleasently surprised how easy, safe and effective it is to reach 550-600hp on the 35 with just a Y-pipe and map, that is a dam nice road figure. Unlike the previous Skylines which tuning wise were expensive to reach 600bhp, they always broke, people lost their cars for months, it put some people off skylines for life ! ecu was prehistoric and hard to tune, RB mostly unreliable. It's not looking like this is the case with the VR. We know stock internals are good for over 650-700, by which time only then does engine life expectancy de-crease and plasma liners wear.
It is believed only haltech R35 has blown an VR, i think down to gear change issue.

Its fair to be causious and worried, but then same can be said for walking across the street or getting on a plane or getting married

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Well if Dave doesn't I will !! Yes these cars are, as EVERBODY knows are built for tuning. It says so in the bible !!! If you are worrying about warranty, resale value etc, don't bother tuning in fact don't bother owning the best car for years. As for your HPC not complying to your every whim, go get someone else to carry out the work and then worry if anything should go wrong (remember this is Japanese technology as is built to last as long as You dont do something stupid)

I am like others getting a bit fed up with this "HPC" "Warranty" thing, if you want to build a car to your spec and take a "risk" (calculated of course) then buy a car from an importer, there are many who are far more knowlegable than some HPC's !! Ask BEN or Iain Litchfield!!!

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
LOL! You do often post a lot of crap Steve, but "these cars are, as EVERBODY knows are built for tuning. It says so in the bible !!! " is a classic! :chuckle:

Yes, Ben's reply above was totally written with me in mind.
It cost me well over £15k to get Godzilla 1 up to 600/620hp and then at least that again to cover the rebuilds!

570-580hp for the price of a Y-pipe and a Cobb, all easily reversable within an hour, is simply unbelievably fantastic value.

·
Registered
486 Posts
LOL! You do often post a lot of crap Steve, but "these cars are, as EVERBODY knows are built for tuning. It says so in the bible !!! " is a classic! :chuckle:

Yes, Ben's reply above was totally written with me in mind.
It cost me well over £15k to get Godzilla 1 up to 600/620hp and then at least that again to cover the rebuilds!

570-580hp for the price of a Y-pipe and a Cobb, all easily reversable within an hour, is simply unbelievably fantastic value.
oh god,

im getting itchy now. Lucky Im moving house soon, therefore Im broke for a few months at least.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
Secondly they are looking for the boost figures and the number of flashes across the CAN Bus showing re-flashes (Thistle correct me if i have gotten this technical bit wrong????)

This shows instantly if a Cobb AP has been fitted.
Not directly related to the point at hand but a few years ago I 'won' a remap on my diesel FIAT. Whilst the guy mapped it I had a chat to him about how detectable it was (I didn't really car as the warranty was long gone and the extended warranty wasn't work the paper it was written on). Anyway whilst quizzing the chap I asked him about the reflash counter and he replied that as a matter of course they would reset the counter to it's previous number whenever the ECU was flashed (by them). I wouldn;t think it beyond the realms of possibility that a similar service could be offered regarding the boost levels too.

On this basis I'd be suspicous of any 'standard' car. Who is to say it hasn't been tampered with and 'made good'. I'd rather buy a tuned car where the owneer is upfront about what has been done. Will also say you the time and effort in doing so yourself.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Dave, I had you in mind LOL!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts