GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help...

The missus had an accident in her R34 GTT last month, smashed it up a bit... to the tune of £6.5k in repair costs actually

Anyway the insurance company have just informed me that it's a total write-off. They haven't yet told me what category. What process do I need to follow in order to buy the salvage off the insurance??? They've told me it's not an option and that I would have to buy it off the salvage yard but that seems crazy! Surely if they can sell it on to a salvage yard, they can offer to sell it on to me? The Salvage yard will want their pound of flesh and that make it untenable.

So can someone PLEASE tell me what I need to do in order to keep our most precious possession? :bawling:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think the law has changed on this matter and you can no longer buy back.

I know that certainly when my MX5 was vandalized and they offered to write it off, they refused to let me have the option to buy it back.

They offered to EITHER let me keep the car and have a check worth less than the bill of repair OR they'd take the car and give me the guide price which was based on glasses guide; which in my opinion heavily under valued the car.

I would suppose it depends on what category a write off it is... It may be deemed unrepairable and therefore not suitable for the road.

How much $$$$ worth of mods were on it?

·
Registered
25,945 Posts
Hey Folks,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help...

The missus had an accident in her R34 GTT last month, smashed it up a bit... to the tune of £6.5k in repair costs actually

Anyway the insurance company have just informed me that it's a total write-off. They haven't yet told me what category. What process do I need to follow in order to buy the salvage off the insurance??? They've told me it's not an option and that I would have to buy it off the salvage yard but that seems crazy! Surely if they can sell it on to a salvage yard, they can offer to sell it on to me? The Salvage yard will want their pound of flesh and that make it untenable.

So can someone PLEASE tell me what I need to do in order to keep our most precious possession? :bawling:
before its picked up strip everything off it you can do / (within reason)

id swap a crap set of wheels etc of it, remove the spoiler etc

·
Registered
537 Posts
well my car got smashed and there is no way the salvage is taking that car. as its still under police investigation i told the copper that when you finish the investigation i'd like my car back and i dont want it to go into no insurance storage to which he agreed .Even though he told me theres nothing left of it but he did mention something that may help you which was that the CAR IS STILL YOURS AND BELONGS TO YOU.

·
Registered
525 Posts
they sometimes forget to collect the car and if they don’t contact you about the collection of the car after a couple of weeks of getting the cheque just say you got rid of it cuz you thought they didn’t want it as it was taking up storage and your friend (imaginary) was charging you. As most insurance company’s don’t like storage charges. this mite work? it has in the past with others.

·
Registered
664 Posts
all you have to do is insist on the fact that you want to keep your car and they will deduct up to 20 per cent of the value they have already offered you so that you can keep the car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
they sometimes forget to collect the car and if they don’t contact you about the collection of the car after a couple of weeks of getting the cheque just say you got rid of it cuz you thought they didn’t want it as it was taking up storage and your friend (imaginary) was charging you. As most insurance company’s don’t like storage charges. this mite work? it has in the past with others.
This is bollocks isn't it. How would a insurance company forget about the car. Total rubbish.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If the car is in the insurance bodyshop, can you just go and take all the good bits off then?
yes you can , strip the car mate thats the best and cheepst way out for you , buy another gtst cheap and put all your stuff back onto it , any questions pm me and ill give you my number , im a car estimater and been in the trade for over 10 years now

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
This is bollocks isn't it. How would a insurance company forget about the car. Total rubbish.
Nope insurance companies (like many others) often make mistakes. I had a car which the insurance company completely dropped the ball on and assured me on numerous occasions had been picked up and was being fixed in fact hadn't.

·
Super Moderator
15,843 Posts
Agreed, there was a guy on another forum I go to whose insurance company got around £5K of storage fees built up, so the recovery firm stuck his car on ebay to try and recoup the money...first he knew of it people were emailing him saying why is your car on ebay!!:chairshot He managed to get it back prior to sale and remind the insurance company they hadn't yet dealt with it....!

Trouble is if it's a certain category write off nowadays it's law it has to be scrapped by a registered vehicle disposal firm. That means often you can't buy it back, so if you can get in there and get any bits off as it will be crushed anyway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your feedback. As it happens, the underwriters have flat-refused to let me keep the salvage... that is their policy and despite A-Plan doing their best to convince them, they are sticking to it. :( Good bye lovely car.

There were no mods to speak of really... going to drop by the bodyshop today and strip the Apexi airfilter out. Will also keep the mats! And as soon as I can grab hold of some standard GTT coilpacks, I'll strip out the Splitfires that are hidden away in the block. Buggered if anyone's getting their hands on all that good stuff.

Wheels are a bit of a mess anyway after the accident so no point swapping those. Tyres were all excellent but that's just being picky I think! Spoiler... hmmm... dunno if that's worth keeping hold of or not.

Bloody engine only has 46k miles on it... wish I could keep that! :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't under-estimate what standards parts are worth too. If it's not seriously nailed down, strip it out and flog it on here...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bloody engine only has 46k miles on it... wish I could keep that! :)

Go and buy a blown Ca18 on the SXOC then take your spanners down there and recover the RB :thumbsup: place the CA back in the gap and get out of there fast:squintdan it's not like they need to drive it.. probably wouldnt even notice...

Insurance firms really do forget who they work for sometimes. and it winds me up something chronic.

good luck.
/Steve

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'll be surprised if you can get away with exchanging engines. I'm sure someone at the bodyshop would stop you doing this. Unheard off.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I was joking but then thinking about it giving someone 50 quid to look the other way this close to xmas may well work... if you gave them enough money they'd probably strip it for you.

/Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts