GTR Forum banner

What do you see on your GT-R Sat-Nav screen when you park at a junction?

• My position is represented accurately every time

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • My position is shown as being a distance away from the junction

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • My position is shown accurately at some junctions but not at others

Votes: 7 29.2%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned on other threads, I've been having a few minor problems with the Sat-Nav in my GT-R. I did some tests last weekend by parking at the intersection of two roads and seeing how this was represented on the screen. During every test, my car was pictured as being some distance away from the junction. The effect of this inaccuracy is that on tight city streets I end up missing my turns, my camera warnings are late, and on roundabouts with several exits it can be difficult to tell which exit I'm supposed to be taking (if I only rely on the visual representation).

I found an option in the menus (I still don't have the new manual) that suggests that it will enable me to manually enter my position but this didn't seem to help with the test described above.

So, it would be good if some of you Sat-Nav owners could try the "Supraman Test" and let me know how you get on. Many thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whoever that was that responded so quickly, did you actually do the test as described? If you did, then thanks very much for your prompt response!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I will try later or tomorrow and post back - cannot say I've noticed any problem so far but will make sure for you.

D

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Mine is fine for accuracy:thumbsup: But! The petrol stations are about 10 years out of date where I am (North Dorset) & it does not display traffic informtion on the map, but does list incidents on the info button?:confused:

Dave.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Are you doing the position tests after period of time? I'm thinking like my skycaddie things get more accurate with more satellites which means giving it more time to connect to them.
Saying that i've not had time to drive my car for about a week! :cry: But will give it a try next time out.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you doing the position tests after period of time? I'm thinking like my skycaddie things get more accurate with more satellites which means giving it more time to connect to them.
Saying that i've not had time to drive my car for about a week! :cry: But will give it a try next time out.
I did the test in the middle of a 30 minute journey, after being frustrated at missing two turns. Thanks for agreeing to try it out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My Sat Nav positioning is spot on .......but on one or two ocassions the Camera warning has been late :bawling:

CJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
59 Sat Nav

I travel a lot in my job and previously used a tom tom. The tomtom takes me on main roads alway. The gtr sat nav on the fastest route setting is taking me on the country roads. Have had lovely new route drives.

Does anyone know if GTR Sat Nav knowns best or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just does checks

My tom tom route yesterday was 77 miles on main roads at busy times, est time 1h47 min

GTR Sat Nav 64 miles est 1h 57min

So if i hit traffic i could easliy make up the extra 10 mins

GTR Sat Nav know best ?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Dave you may have already checked, but there is an option to show traffic information on the map screen, CT_ITP (from memory) or similar is shown on the screen when it's active.

Mine is fine for accuracy:thumbsup: But! The petrol stations are about 10 years out of date where I am (North Dorset) & it does not display traffic informtion on the map, but does list incidents on the info button?:confused:

Dave.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Dave you may have already checked, but there is an option to show traffic information on the map screen, CT_ITP (from memory) or similar is shown on the screen when it's active.
Yes, I have tried that thanks, Might have to upgrade the map or the car:nervous:

Dave:thumbsup:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have just ordered the latest discs being released shortly at £250! but these will ensure that the overall system is brought in-line since the initial install at the manuf plant.

I have also heard that the discs are not serial coded to the car and therefore these could be used to update more than one system and this may make me a very popular member of the forum:D

·
Registered
923 Posts
As mentioned on other threads, I've been having a few minor problems with the Sat-Nav in my GT-R. I did some tests last weekend by parking at the intersection of two roads and seeing how this was represented on the screen. During every test, my car was pictured as being some distance away from the junction. The effect of this inaccuracy is that on tight city streets I end up missing my turns, my camera warnings are late, and on roundabouts with several exits it can be difficult to tell which exit I'm supposed to be taking (if I only rely on the visual representation).

I found an option in the menus (I still don't have the new manual) that suggests that it will enable me to manually enter my position but this didn't seem to help with the test described above.

So, it would be good if some of you Sat-Nav owners could try the "Supraman Test" and let me know how you get on. Many thanks.
I have updated to the latest Discs and didnt notice the issue until I was in London at the weekend and the updated Sat Nav was bloody awful in London streets and the graphic was off the course and the system couldnt recalibrate quickly so constantly missing junctions and turns and as you said the accuracy of the graphic and audio was out of step.

I am in discussion with the HPC and will definitely be looking to re-install the previous Sat Nav version as this didnt have the issues at all.....:bawling:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Was in Glasgow last night and the vehicle position was far enough away from actual position to miss the correct turning at least twice. Bit hopeless as it's when you're in areas you don't know that you really need it. Original version nav version.

Glasgow has a lot of elevated sections of road, something the engineers obviously forgot to take into consideration as it constantly thinks it's at ground level; leading to "turn right" on the M8, lol

Interesting to see what happens with the HPC and find out whether it's worth the money to upgrade.

Least it found the Shell garage ok...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Was in Glasgow last night and the vehicle position was far enough away from actual position to miss the correct turning at least twice. Bit hopeless as it's when you're in areas you don't know that you really need it. Original version nav version.

Glasgow has a lot of elevated sections of road, something the engineers obviously forgot to take into consideration as it constantly thinks it's at ground level; leading to "turn right" on the M8, lol

Interesting to see what happens with the HPC and find out whether it's worth the money to upgrade.

Least it found the Shell garage ok...

Doubt it will have the m80 and m74 upgrades on it...which makes a big difference up here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts