GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i need to extend my sump but stumbled across the accusump system. How do you rate these?

I can see it being my choice over a extended sump on the simple fact of cost and not having to remove the engine to fit it. Along with it pre oiling the engine before starting. To me its a no brainer to buy this over a extended sump

My question is. When you loose oil pressure and this accusump thing squirts extra oil in for you. Well dont it end up over filling your sump untill it sucks its 3 litres of oil back into its system?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I have both. Makes oil changes twice as expensive, but it's worth it :)

The Accusump maintains a constant equilibrium with the oil system. Basically, when you let off the throttle and let the engine drop to idle, oil pressure plummets as fast as the RPMs. But with an Accusump, the pressure "crash" is dampened. The Accusump never empties fully, unless the engine is off and you forget to shut it off, or if you open the valve without turning on the engine, then yeah, after about half a minute the thing is empty.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
be forewarned though - Accusumps tend to require creative plumbing:

All that -10AN hose looping around the oil filter - that's the Accusump plumbing, checkvalve, manual shutoff valve, and back into the oil system. The second pic is a closeup of where the Accusump tees into the oil return. The Accusump itself is in the boot, with a long -10AN braided hose running all the way back there.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i was to mount mine above or below the intercooler am i right in thinking i would need only 1-2 meter of pipe (-10) to get to the oil filter where its teed into it?

Also as the one im looking at has a electric valve i wouldnt have the manual bit you have would i?

Basically alot more simple fitment?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If you build your sump the right way, you probably wont need a accusump.

But, it is a very smart product.

I dont have one in my car, done lots and lots trackdays, never had any problem with airpockets in the oilsystem.

Asim

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
the electric valve is bulky. If you can fit the sump around your intercooler then yes, that's a great place. But these things are rather big.

Frankly, if you've got to choose between an extended sump and an Accusump, go with the extended. A lot easier to deal with. But an Accusump does two things and extended sump can't, well, three things - it dampens changes in oil pressure - oil pressure neither spikes nor plummets suddenly. I think they call this "surge control". It preoils the engine - since installing my Accusump, my engine has never, ever been started with zero oil pressure. 7 bars of pressure in a full Accusump will bring the engine up to about 2 bars pressure before you even turn the key. And if your oil pump breaks, you have a maybe ten seconds to shut your engine down. Although this last bit would be hard to see if you're caning it on a track. Basically, you'd have to realize your oil pressure is slowly but surely dropping, while the engine is going and it should be stable or rising. I don't look at any of my gauges while driving hard, so I rely on flashing idiot lights (warning lamps) to tell me if something is amiss. My oil warning is set to go off when pressure drops to 3 bars.

All of this is driven my a Tomei oil pump btw. I've got 9.5 liters of oil in a fairly convoluted system, which surely puts a bit more load on the oil pump than a stock setup.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Got an Accusump fitted.

Extended sumps may cause an issue round my area, as they limit ground clearance and there are lots of sleeping policemen!

Like Kismet, it is boot mounted.

Would try and take pics, but car is in the shop having the engine rebuilt..........wasn't oil starvation though!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i have more room than you 32 boys. I have a 34, am i correct thinking that?

Im sure i have seen a pic somewhere of it mounted to the front of a 34.

Am i correct thinking there is only actually one oil pipe to connect?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found that picture. Its on the BORG that RIPS rebuilt (r33) however it seems to be missing the aircon rad so maybe it wont fit like i would of liked.

Do you think there would be enough room on top of the intercooler?

I would really like to keep my boot space.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Where exatly do you guys fit the accusump in the engine's oiling system? I have one laying around too, waiting to go on my rb when I take her out this winter but Ihaven't got a clue how the plumb it in...

I also have an extended sump... for extra security and engine lifetime ;)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think you plume it into a sandwich plate at the oil filter or T off it if you already have a oil cooler kit etc.

Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I think the front bumper bar will take up the space above the FMIC, so no dice there.

I don't have the R34 engine bay layout memorized, but if you moved a few things around, like threw out the windscreen washer bottle and coolant reservoir (replacing that with an aftermarket unit, I forget who makes it but it's like a breather system and you end up with two(?) smaller coolant tanks), you could fit it in the engine bay, IF you get rid of the pressure gauge and use a 90 degree fitting off the other end. (you don't really need the pressure gauge, air is pumped in with a normal bicycle tire-type valve, and you can read pressure directly off that. You might be able to fit a 2 quart Accusump in that case. Maybe. You'd have to have a fair bit of it tucked inside of one of the front fenders.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
what is the height of these? I can only find a diameter size. Toby is your a 3 quart one? 22" long i think?

P.S, paint your strut brace and rocker covers. Its the only thing letting that engine bay down ! LOL.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I did touch up my engine bay, it's all good now :)

I thought my extended sump would make the drain plug the lowest part of my car as I'm lowered quite a bit from stock ride height...but turns out, it's my DOWNPIPE! Huge, fat Mines 4" downpipe, sticks out lower than the extended sump. It gets scraped sometimes over speed bumps.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts