GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Question for the guys running an Accusump: where the hell have you fitted it??? :runaway:
I'm about to go for the 3qt unit with a manual valve, and as it's quite a big part, I don't really know where I can bolt it...

If you guys got pics, I'd be pleased to have a look at them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Mine is fitted in the boot.

Unfortunately car is in the garage at the moment and I don't think I have any pics.

Cheers,

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've run an oil line through the whole car?????
I thought about it too, but I wonder if such a long oil line would affect the efficiency (time of reaction) of the Accusump device or not...

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It was done by the previous owner.

Wouldn't the lines always have oil in them, so the delay time would be very small, as it's not as if oil has to fill the lines before going int the engine?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Accusump themselves see no issues with a boot mounted set up, *IF* you use big bore lines, no smaller than -12, feeding into -12 oil cooler lines and cooler with -12 stubs with appropriately high flow fittings. I am putting mine in the footwell, but it's not a car I regularly use on the road.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the moments, here are the places I'm thinking of:
- driver footwell, transversally. Pros: I planed to use a manual valve...at least it will be easy to operate from the seat!! Cons: need to find how I can run the oil line through the firewall (any idea?), I like when it looks as std as possible in the cabin...that big blue thing won't help!
- bolted to the strut brace. (red circle on the pic below) Transversally, behind the strut brace, in front of the ABS pump. Valve sitting above the engine. Pros: under the hood, not a hassle to fit. Cons: wonder if the Accusump will cope with the heat of this area... and it won't look really neat: I do like when my engine bay is not a mess.
- along the catch can, longitudinally. (green circle) Operating valve sitting of course way higher than the gauge. Pros: under the hood, quite neat, access to the valve is ok. Cons: need to move my Aquamist pump, the resistor pack, fitting the accusump unit itseld will require a custom manufactered stand, driver's side of the engine bay will be defo overcrowded.
- behind passenger's headlight, longitudinally. (blue circle) Again, operating valve sitting of course way higher than gauge. Pros: under the hood, quite neat, access to the valve is ok, fitting is quite easy. Cons: kinda block the air coming to the air fliters from the air duct running through the passenger front wing.

Opinion?

Sadly it seems that nevermind which route I go, I'll have to go for a 2qt unit because I won't have enough room to fit the 3qt bottle...

TriniGT: I don't want anything to lower the amount of fresh air which goes to the rad. ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Can you route the lines where the heater lines are, well only if you don't run the heater lines that is.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car is not a track day monster. I also use it on the road, so yes, I still have the heater...even the aircon!

·
Registered
394 Posts
im intrested where you can buy an accusump ?????? i would put one if i had on the chassis rail on the offside if the hicas valve has been removed

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I ended up using -10AN hose to connect my Accusump from the boot. Canton has excellent customer service - they called me up to walk me through some bits, and although -12AN is recommended, -10AN wouldn't be bad by any stretch. And it has been working just fine.

Get an Accusump in hand, then start trying to fit it in your engine bay. You'll find your options very limited. And don't forget all the extra plumbing required to fit it; that stuff takes up a fair bit of space as well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kismetcapitan: which size have you gone for? It seems the 3qt unit is too big to be fitted under the hood or in the driver's footwell...
I've done a kind of a simulation with an empty plastic bottle which is approx the same size of a 2qt accusump with its gauge fitted, and it's ok for all the places I've listed before.

But I wonder if 2qt is big enough...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I use a 2qt. I thought I'd be sticking it under the hood as well. But where I have it mounted, I could have gone with a 3qt, barely, and although more is better, 2qt is more than enough as an oil buffer - remember that the engine, wet sumped, is designed to run on 4 liters, including all of that reserve that's sitting in the oil pan at any given moment.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I use a 2qt. I thought I'd be sticking it under the hood as well. But where I have it mounted, I could have gone with a 3qt, barely, and although more is better, 2qt is more than enough as an oil buffer - remember that the engine, wet sumped, is designed to run on 4 liters, including all of that reserve that's sitting in the oil pan at any given moment.
so are you saying the 3qrt is not suitable for a rb28 with Tomei pump and extended sump, fast road and occasional track day.:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts