GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all , Ive been a jap car fan for ages and in the past 5 years have owned 3 scoobs , 1 been a 11.5 sec Type ra and at the moment have a track toy GT4.

Decided to bite the bullet put the GT4 up for sale and buy a GTR.

The Price limit is 10K and have been mainly keeping my eyes open for good R32's but stumbled across a R33 with over 100k in clock and he wants £7.5k.

So i have a 20min phone call and he tells me the history , Imported in 99 ,V Spec , he's owned for 18months and wabts a M5 , parts bought from middlehurst nissan (Cam belt etc ?) .

Previous owner popped engine @ 500bhp +!!!!

Now for the good bits , R34 engine 46k with red manifold ?, can this be done ? , R34 front gold brake conversion . This work has been done by a leading skyline company somewhere in Manchester , is there any ?
The car is box standard with no boost upgrades etc.

Can the engine transplant happen and ifso is it a good or bad thing having a R34 engine ?

Sorry for all ??? but the GTR is all new to me :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
cant answer on the 'red manifold' ?!?

R34 GTR engine transplant is cool, defo a good thing ! Assume it's got the 6 speed gearbox as well ?

Sounds very, very cheap for an R33GTR though...too cheap if you get my drift.

Any more details ?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It does sound very cheap for red cam cover R34 engined GTR, gold brembo's as well.

Hpi clear?

Might be on the register at that price.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I agree it sounds like a bargain. The replacement engoine is a good thing but check the bodywork for rust as R33s are known for it. Also, as suggested check there is no history, the seller should contact BIMTA on your behalf and get a certificate.

When you go and look at it tell us where it is and I'm sure someone from the GTROC will be only too happy to accompany you and offer some free advice and information.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the gold brakes he says cost £2.5k ? is this realistic or is he pulling my pud ? Are RB Motorsport any good and are they in manchester area ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cant answer on the 'red manifold' ?!?

R34 GTR engine transplant is cool, defo a good thing ! Assume it's got the 6 speed gearbox as well ?

Sounds very, very cheap for an R33GTR though...too cheap if you get my drift.

He did tell me that he is selling cheap due to the mileage been near 120K on clock , but when he told me that the car has had a R34 transplant that pricked my ears , will check the 6 speed box , are you asking that because a 5 speed will not fit from the R32 I take it

Thanks to you all 4 ur help

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
RB Motorsport (Rod Bell) is in Mawdsley (Chorley), so not in Manchester, but not a million miles away.
RB seem well known on here and generally seem to have a good reputation.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you have an R32/R33 GTR engine you have to change the drive shafts (as well as other parts) to use the R34GTR gearbox...hence my question.

I personally wouldnt worry too much about what the odometer says if he can prove the R34GTR lump has only done 46K. However it does mean the rest of the car has done 120K....so worth checking it over properly for tired parts.

I think if you bought the gold brembo R34GTR discs and calipers from Nissan brand new then yeah 2.5K sounds about right.....Skyline parts are EXPENSIVE !

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
will check the 6 speed box , are you asking that because a 5 speed will not fit from the R32 I take it

Thanks to you all 4 ur help
It would be most unusual for the 6 speed to be there in an R33, no reason to assume it would be.

Whatever the spec, at that price it certainly sounds like a fantastic bargain but I would certainly get RB Motorsports or someone silimar to look over it for you for peace of mind. These are not cheap cars if you develop a major problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Engine might be newish but rest of car (suspension, diffs etc) might be worn with that mileage hence the low cost. Bits for skylines are expensive so might not seem like such a bargain 6 months down the line. Also is engine was changed, WHY! Had it a hard life and if so the rest of car might be same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Taking it all on board .
thnx guys

·
Registered
597 Posts
from previous threads, r34 gtr engines into earlier Gtrs are quite normal, cos newer and readily available (suppposedly earlier R32 gtrs are the best of the oe engines).

Front brakes, i thought r33 & r34 are the sajme apart from colour and the fixing bolts are 14mm as opposed to 12mm or vise versa, so no real benefit there and the original can be refurbished so why the change? (£2.5K, i can believe that if main dealer:chuckle:)

Its a good price if all checks out, though i tend to be more cautious if i think things don't add up, hence brake question.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been through the same predicament myself before. I bit the bullet, bought the high mileage performance car and took a chance.... And it cost me much more than I'd expected as stuff just kept failing...(It wasn't a Skyline).

I'm now rid of that and put it down to experience, but will be getting myself a low mileage GT-R this time.

Newera's probably going to get the nod.. Just looking at finance.

Currently have my eye on this one: Newera Imports - home / stock / carDetails

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are the main things to look at on a R33 . Going to look at it tomorrow .
The guy does seem very genuine and owns his own garage , this car been his weekend toy . All the recent work he has carried out himself over the past 18 months inc oil and filter every 4k etc etc.
Hope it goes as well as it looks in the picture , ha ha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK Chaps I am now a GTR Owner .
The car was fantastic and the engine doesnt have a mark on it !
Got it for 7.5k which was the max I was willing to go even tho he had it advertised at 8.5k
Box standard car so what can I buy with my spare 1k ?

·
Registered
501 Posts
So was it the R33 GTR that you got? If so then thats the bargain of the century!

Butuz

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
get a nice exhaust and induction kit to start with :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep a R33 GTR V Spec with the fins on the rear diff :smokin:

It has a HKS back box and HKS induction already fitted.

This car had a load spent at middlehurst nissan , were is that ?

Bring on me and my big [email protected]@rd GTR :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts