GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys
need some freindly advice

while tootling around town in traffic is it better for the car to drive it in lower gears or the highest gear as ive heard differing opinions.. ?

also is it ok when your parked up and in your car to keep the engine running on idle say for 1/2 an hour or so or should you switch engine off ?

and can you just start your car and drive slowly in the morning or when cold or do you have to wait till the oil gets past 70 degrees and then drive off ?

cheers SKY

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hi

I think its better to get in and wait 30 seconds then drive off. You shouldnt be leaving it for 1/2 an hour. Until your oil is up to operating temp, just take it easy and stay off boost. I have heard leaving it to idle creates its own problems (someone correct me if i am wrong).

If i have been on a bit of a run and temps are high i normally just drive around slowly for a bit to get the temps down and then probably let it idle for a few mins before switching off and tucking it away.

In traffic just take it easy and use the normal gears.

Hope this helps with what your after :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
(all imho)

1) I drive around 2k - 2.5k rpm when in town etc.; not slogging it at really low revs nor revving high as it's not necessary.

2) If parked up the engine goes off. Why have it on tickover?

3) I always drive to warm the car up (again, revs 2k - 2.5k, really gentle throttle etc.). This gets everything warm including transmission fluid etc. and I reckon it's much kinder to the engine than letting it tick over for ages until the oil's warm (how long would this take???). I think an engine runs much smoother (i.e. better balance) and with better oil flow when it's driving (higher revs) rather than ticking over.

·
Registered
411 Posts
theres conflicting opinions about the warm up of the car. some say let it idle for a while then drive really slow because the majority of the strain on the engine is done when cold. on the other hand if you idle/drive like granny when its cold, it takes a lot of time to warm up, and during that time the engine is worn at a very accelerated rate.

both extremes make sense. i would just take off when the oil pressure has built up, then keep it under 3- 3.5k rpm till its fully warmed up.

also never leave the car idling for a long time, it promotes carbon buildup on the valvetrain, over time, or so i hear.

as for driving around town, whatever gets you the best gas mileage:p

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI guys

sorry about these dumb questions and i did try using the search button but cant make head or tails of it ..

i was out driving in the rain today and was advised that i shouldnt drive it in the rain as these cars dont like it ?

also yesterday i drove on an A round for about 15 miles (speed was about 100-120 km on average ) 140 max and my oil temp hit 99 degrees and stayed there for about 10 mins , is this too high and dangerous for the engine ?

car is a standard import r34 gtr ..

cheers guys all advice is welcome

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
lol, car'll be fine in the rain. 99 degrees is no worries for decent oil either. :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Rain is only a problem if the underside hasnt been undersealed and 99 is ok. If the weathers hot the car will run hotter so dont worry too much. An oil cooler will help in the hotter weather though.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh thanks again .

i dont think my cars been undersealed .

but i'll only drive it for six months a year plus it lives in a garage .
will this do ?

cheers

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If its not been undersealed try and avoid the rain and salty roads etc- just speeds up corrosion. If your going to drive in winter will be worth under sealing in the long run to keep it in tip top condition.

You should be fine in summer time though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
hi

oil is a bit high really for that little speed

when you push it that temp will rocket

the standard 34 rad is poor i would upgrade that first as that will reduce engine temp and in turn reduce the oil temp. if your oil is that hot cruising then the engine/water temp must be high too.

what were your water temps at that speed?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
higher gears will generally use less gasoline, so not necessary.
you only need to leave hte car running for up to a minute if you've been pushing it, under normal driving you don't really need to leave it.
I wait about 20 seconds before moving my car, and generally take it easy until the water temp is up to average.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers guys , i have the afternoon off work so will take her out and check the water temp at that oil temp reading..

really appreciate the advice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts