GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I just recently got my baby detailed and tinted at PW pro 2 days ago.. Great job and it looked fantastic..

Nissan GTR | PW Pro

Today i went over the Under the Rainbow car wash to get it cleaned as i had heard so much about the place.. Unfortunately someone in a range rover backed up into my car ! :bawling:

It really pissed me off as i am SOO ANAL about my car and so careful, then someone else comes along and smashes into my front bumper :( Really sucks and im so gutted that it happened..

Now i realize that i need to find the best way to get this sorted asap.. So my two choices are to go through insurance or do it myself..

Most people have advised me NOT to go through insurance as they will send my car somewhere cheap or to Nissan to get the dent popped out and respray the front bumper.. Apparently this is not a good route to go as they job will not be done properly.. Paul at PWpro advised me to go through insurance as it keeps my paint warranty. However others have told me the paint warranty only covers rust :s So im a bit confused as to what to do..

The second alternative is to get the individual who has hit my car to pay for the repair (He has already agreed to give my up to £200) and get it done from a proper bodyshop..

I went to a bodyshop just behind Ace Cafe and they told me they could do it for £250.

Now I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give me as I have never had an issue like this in my life ! So i have no experience dealing with this :/ I have had a bunch of cars and kept them all spotless for almost 5 years.. And my favorite one gets hit :(

Is there any recommended bodyshops in or around London that have a good reputation dealing with GTR's ? I prefer to send my car to a 'proper' place where they have people who are experienced with GTR's and will do a top job.. Dont really care weather it will be more than £200 i just want my car looking like brand new..

Here are some pics;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57333195/DSC_0250.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57333195/DSC_0252.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57333195/DSC_0253.jpg

Thanks,
Hashlak

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Speak to the owner of the Over the rainbow carwash - Alfie.

His cousin, which may have been the paintshop you went to behind the Ace Cafe, are the best people I have used to date.

I can't believe the one time you went to the car wash, and based on such good reviews, you get reversed into.

I have been there most weeks for a year or two, and never had a problem. So sorry to hear about your bad luck.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
sorry to say I completely disagree with Paul on this one. There's no way on god's earth I'd let a nissan approved paintshop touch my car. Warranty or not, after they've done what they do, you'll need a complete redetail.

You've already had a quote from the best paintshop I know of, I'd stick with it.

It's a minor dent, maybe drive it for a while, get some stonechips then have it redone to fix some stone chips at the same time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wasn't suggesting anything different. Assuming they have a good reputation and they are doing it properly - not painting the bumper cover on the car, stripping it, making good to any stone chips before repainting etc.

£250 sounds very reasonable. I'm fortunate in that the company I always use for any bits and bobs of paintwork is not only Bentley and Aston approved but also Nissan. The whole paintwork warranty thing is irrelevant when applied to the bumper cover since any claim is likely to be based upon corrosion which as was mentioned isn't going to be an issue on the bumper cover.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
sorry to say I completely disagree with Paul on this one. There's no way on god's earth I'd let a nissan approved paintshop touch my car. Warranty or not, after they've done what they do, you'll need a complete redetail.

You've already had a quote from the best paintshop I know of, I'd stick with it.

It's a minor dent, maybe drive it for a while, get some stonechips then have it redone to fix some stone chips at the same time.
my point to hassan was to involve the insurance company and have the car attended to by Nissan due to its age and having plenty of warranty left

just my personal preference

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Second that Adam, Nissan body shop definitely NOT the way to go. Mate of mine just had his car back from them following an insurance claim and it was shocking; imperfections and even to the wrong colour code.

Had the front bumper on mine re-sprayed at an Aston Martin approved body shop cos the stone chips were grating on me, 285 quid all-in...top job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
my point to hassan was to involve the insurance company and have the car attended to by Nissan due to its age and having plenty of warranty left

just my personal preference
There's also the hassle of an insurance claim and the mark on your record.

I've spoken to Alfie now and it would appear that Hasklak is fairly young for a GTR owner. I'd avoid anything at all that can load his policy. Even non-fault claims can count against you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Had the front bumper on mine re-sprayed at an Aston Martin approved body shop cos the stone chips were grating on me, 285 quid all-in...top job :thumbsup:
Assume Davies Motor Company in Cardiff? If so, as mentioned in my post, they are Bentley, Aston but also Nissan so win-win :)

You still have to keep an eye on them though. Sometimes their quality control leaves a bit to be desired when they're busy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I work for bodyshop for almost 5 years ... Try to heat it with a heatgun be carefull because no paint is better than the original paint for a small dent like this i will leave it like this or like i said try to heat it very gentle and push a bit from the inside with something smooth of course remove the bumper first ... Sorry for my english
Nic

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated and has put my mind at ease knowing that it can be properly repaired without any issues..

Adamantium, have you got any re-spray's done before from Alfie's cousin's paintshop? Just wanted to know if they properly match the paint and weather it will stick out or not from the rest of the cars paint.. At first I was a little bit hesitant as i drove into the place lol, had to dodge some massive craters on the way :p..

I think I will go down the second route and avoid using the insurance as I am only 22 and i know that this will affect my premium in some way :( Hopefully they can just pop the dent out and give it a mini detail, because i have inspected it very closely and it doesn't seem to have been scratched or added any impact marks.. The guy slowly backed up into my car ..

Ill make sure that £200 gets into my account and will get the number of the individual in the bodyshop from Alfie to book my car in ASAP..

Thanks again,
Hashlak

·
Registered
496 Posts
I work for bodyshop for almost 5 years ... Try to heat it with a heatgun be carefull because no paint is better than the original paint for a small dent like this i will leave it like this or like i said try to heat it very gentle and push a bit from the inside with something smooth of course remove the bumper first ... Sorry for my english
Nic
Unfortunately it's right on a sharp crease in the bumper. Don't think you'll ever get the clean crease back without a repair.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The dent is on the crease it will never come out with a heat gun in a million years,,,
You would be looking around 350 by any good Bodyshop.
Bumpers never match from factory, all plastics dry different from steel panels,
Ford bumper now come painted so do Honda, same there they never match,
Take it to a Bodyshop that has been recommended by a happy customer,
Regards Goldie,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Accident express in mundells court welwyn garden city are superb. Faultless work do revere rangerover work and landrover and porsche main dealers. Good price and they get thecar done on the day they say it will be finished

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You need the car looked at for potential damage behind the nose cover. The bonnet pyros or the frontal impact sensor could have been affected.
I would definitely go through insurance, if it were my supercar. You would then have a "non fault" claim, which won't affect your premium. His insurance will cover the cost. And he wouldn't be telling me how much, I'd be telling him. And I'd tell him to learn to drive too. :chuckle:

Bad luck mate. :mad:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Those sound like very good quotes for bumper resprays - I have had two quotes for mine (stonechips bothering me), and both were well over £500, though that is for pearlescent paint.

Nissan resprayed my bonnet when I bought the car (two bad dents, one of which was like a scratch too) and managed to damage the carbon fibre inserts on the bonnet, plus they got overspray on the front wheels :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Second that Adam, Nissan body shop definitely NOT the way to go. Mate of mine just had his car back from them following an insurance claim and it was shocking; imperfections and even to the wrong colour code.

btw this was on Storm White

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated and has put my mind at ease knowing that it can be properly repaired without any issues..

Adamantium, have you got any re-spray's done before from Alfie's cousin's paintshop? Just wanted to know if they properly match the paint and weather it will stick out or not from the rest of the cars paint.. At first I was a little bit hesitant as i drove into the place lol, had to dodge some massive craters on the way :p..

I think I will go down the second route and avoid using the insurance as I am only 22 and i know that this will affect my premium in some way :( Hopefully they can just pop the dent out and give it a mini detail, because i have inspected it very closely and it doesn't seem to have been scratched or added any impact marks.. The guy slowly backed up into my car ..

Ill make sure that £200 gets into my account and will get the number of the individual in the bodyshop from Alfie to book my car in ASAP..

Thanks again,
Hashlak
Yes I have. He did an incredible job twice respraying the whole side of my q5 when it was keyed. The result is indistinguishable from new.

Alfie is a detailer. He doesn't just wash cars. He's a perfectionist and will spot anything on a car that's been done before. I have never dealt directly with Alfie's cousin, I have left it with Alfie. If alfie isn't satisfied that a job meets his standards (which WILL be higher than yours) he will have it done again. I prefer it that way as it's less hassle and easier to have him in charge of quality control as his relationship to his cousin makes it easier than it would be for me to demand it is redone.

Because he's a detailer, the work and finish is considered from a detailers point of view with regard to finish and lacquer. It's not that the job is ok, I don't know where I would go if I wanted a better job.

Insurance claim for a 22 year old on a gtr would be insane. Whoever tells you that a non fault claim doesn't affect your premium is ill informed. If non-fault has no effect why is it even on your record? I think it's unfair but that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I joined the M4 to the noise of my then Celica GT being battered by stones which were falling out of a lorry infront of me.

I overtook the lorry, with my hand on the horn the whole time, pulled over onto the hard shoulder, and got his index number as he went past.

The car was covered in stone chips, from head to toe, front to back.

He didn't stop.

Went to the police station, and got an incident number.

The whole car was resprayed at his insurance cost.

Non fault claim. No extra charge.

Mind you, that was nearly 20 years ago now. Maybe things have changed.

If you had a proper shunt and the airbag didn't go off because the G sensor has been dumbed down? That would be my concern.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts