GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i upgraded to steel turbos on my 32 GTR i bought R34 elbows to be fitted aswell but i didnt realise that they have different size lamba sensors to what my 32 had. Anyway where i had them fitted kindly supplied me with 2 used lamba sensors. Since having my power fc fitted when i go to sensor check one of the sensors is always at 3.96v (the lamba for the front turbo).

Am i correct in believeing the lamba sensors are only used off boost? And would it affect my fuel economy by only having 1 working one? If so is it possible to replace the lamba sensor (front turbo) with the turbos and elbows in place?

lastly anyone got a used working R34 lamba

sorry for all the questions

thanks in advance

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Lamba sensor is used for Idle and light cruise. If you have one thats not working it will run rich.

I wouldn`t buy a used sensor as they are a wear and tear item which means if you are buying a used sensor it may not have much life left in it.

Richard

·
Registered
19 Posts
as Richard says best to fit new about £100 and yes you can fit them without removing the turbo. Bit of a tight squeeze and you need the right tools :mad: i.e long reach socket or crow foot spanner hope this helps.

·
Administrator
31,759 Posts
turboshed said:
When i upgraded to steel turbos on my 32 GTR i bought R34 elbows to be fitted aswell but i didnt realise that they have different size lamba sensors to what my 32 had. Anyway where i had them fitted kindly supplied me with 2 used lamba sensors. Since having my power fc fitted when i go to sensor check one of the sensors is always at 3.96v (the lamba for the front turbo).

Am i correct in believeing the lamba sensors are only used off boost? And would it affect my fuel economy by only having 1 working one? If so is it possible to replace the lamba sensor (front turbo) with the turbos and elbows in place?

lastly anyone got a used working R34 lamba

sorry for all the questions

thanks in advance

i'm no expert so i'll say what i was told

i'm running with my lambda's disconnected until i can get a power FC, as i changed turbo's without changing maps.

my car runs 1 bar boost, and if it is overfuelling, its not dramatic

theres no smoke under boost (black) and on a 1000 mile trip to the ring, running an average speed of 100mph each way, including 9 laps of the ring, and lots of ragging about, i returned 19mpg

its not an ideal situation, but it's not that bad

mook

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
hmmm, so your R32 running R34 lambda sensors....? It's no wonder they are playing up.....they are the wrong type. R32 uses titania and R33/R34 use zirconia type...

out of interest, what voltage is the other reading? It should flip flop between 0.1 and 0.9 volts every 1 second!

Yeah, after 3k rpm the ecu cuts the heating voltage to the sensor so they are no longer supplying a feedback voltage to the ecu, so economy doesn't change much if you run with a dodgy one, unless it's telling the ecu to fuel like mad up to 3k! if so, it;s better unplugged than running!

Pretty straight forward to replace in-situ, but defo get the right tools for the job!
Make sure you don't crossthread them putting in the new otherwise it's a big job to try and retap the elbow in place! Also take care removing them, very easy to destroy the thread on the sensor and also the elbow if you are unlucky!

few options here....
1.You can put the original sensors back using an adaptor (available from me)
2.get someone from a bosch service centre to spec you a suitable replacement in the M18 thread
3.run something like power FC and disable the O2 sensors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts