GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, just a bit of advice , im new to the r34 gtr scene and have neither owned one nor driven one untill this one , its standard and in mint condition, i wouldnt say i had trouble exactly getting used to the getrag 6 speed box but its obviously different to my gtt, i am however finding on the odd occasion that getting it in to first and second can be a bit awkward Ie) your not 100%that it is in and when you try and pull off it clearly wasnt , this is not consistent . the car pulls beautifully like a train in all gears and once its in gear it never pops out or anything (once its in its in so to speak) so at the moment im just in the "should i be concerned stage " any advice would be appreciated .

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I would say first thing to so is change the oil. Make sure the right type of oil is used. The Getrag gearbox uses ATF fluid type llD or lll. Do not use conventional gear oil.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say first thing to so is change the oil. Make sure the right type of oil is used. The Getrag gearbox uses ATF fluid type llD or lll. Do not use conventional gear oil.
Ok thanks, would you say from my description it could be a disaster or would there be more signs if is was something to fret about ?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Castrol Transmax Z is one of the handful of oils that most owners are using. I've yet to change mine for it...
That's right.

You can also use confidentely the Royal Purple Synchromax. It's approved Toyota V160 which is what the Getrag Toyota wants ... and the Toyota gearbox is the same as the BNR34.
And from my understanding the Mobil Multi ATF is probably the direct replacement for the original oil recommanded by Nissan (Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF)

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
If you have changed the oil then the likely cause would be a syncro. Be prepared to get it rebuilt. May as well do the whole lot while your at it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
is it hard to put into first and second gear when its cold ?? once warmed up does it go into gear easier ?? what clutch is in the car now?? standard or twin plate ??
If standard clutch then changing the gear oil may fix the problem.
if is a twin plate it could also be the clutch is on the way out as I have experience this about a year ago, having problem engaging first and second. thought it was the master cylinder gone change it still does the same, change the oil still does the same so in the end took the clutch out and one of the plates are warn, change the clutch and is good as gold.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The clutch is basically new, an Exedy Carbon Twin. New fully synthetic ATF oil didn't help at all -the problem will be a worn synchro ring (it's fine shifting slowly at lower rpm). I might try the Cusco Transmission oil next, just to see if it helps (I used it on a 5-Speed Evo box with a similar problem and it worked wonders).

Next time the box comes out, for whatever reason, it will get rebuilt...until then I can live with it. All other shifts are fine, cold or hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts