GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a R33 GTS-T

How many think a BOV/Dump valve is a necessary small mod, and how many don't if you do, what type/make have yoy got please.

Also the same with a Turbo Timer, my car is Standard do I need one or not.

Many Thanks Di

·
Registered
399 Posts
A turbo timer is always one of the first things you should by, relatively inexpensive compared to the potential saving they can make, even on a standard motor.

As for BOV's, beware going from the standard re-circ type to an atmospheric one as you'll have idling problems for a while, best thing to do if you're going to do it is reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative and putting your foot on the brake for a couple of minutes then re-connect (make sure the wheels are as straight as possible when doing this as if they're not you WILL have hicas problems).

I added an HKS SSQV BOV to my R33 GTST along with other stage 1 mods (standard turbos tho) and it did make a slight decrease to the lag between gear changed when giving it the big foot. Just make sure you dont let the revs drop suddenly to idle when you're driving or you'll stall and lose the steering!

In short a BOV like the HKS SSQV is a nice complimentary mod to anything further you might do, however if you don't plan on upgrading the power over time you'll find that the standard recirc one is more than adequate.

The HKS SSQV does make a nice sound tho :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
turbo timer was the first thing i chucked in the bin when i got my car.

keep the revs low for the last mile of your journey allow the car to idle while your finding everything thats fallen on the floor and gone under the seats, turn it off and lock it up

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I'm with AndyW on this, Turbo timers aren't actually a requirement. What you need is the discipline to not razz it for the last couple of miles, and to remember not to turn her off immediately you pull into the garage forecourt for a top up.

Same with the BOV, not actually needed on the standard setup, you already have a perfectly functional one fitted from the factory. Only thing you'll gain by fitting an aftermarket one, is a nice noise on gear change and some dodgy idling if it's not properlly setup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, so am I right in thinking that my R33 (N reg) Has a factory fitted type of dump valve already, that Nissan must of thought adequate if the car is to be kept standard ?

If so I think I will keep it that way as I don't intend to modify a lot for a while.

The turbo timer I like the idea of ...

I have heard a lot of things can effect the Hicas one of the things that really concerns me is the amount of people who say that an aftermarket steering wheel can mess it up.

Some say it's to do with the wrong boss not taking the Hicas sensor or something like that.

But then look at how many have aftermarket steering wheels It's not that I dislike the standard one but my leather has seen better days

Any thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's true a lot of things can upset the HICAS, different size wheels etc. Not sure about the steering wheel though, although a smaller one may take more work as the leverage would be less blah blah.

Do a search on HICAS and have a read about the various problems people have encountered. My rule is, if it aint broke don't fix it (or lock it out) but if it gives you trouble then consider binning it.

Just my 2p worth but I've felt the feared 'HICAS twitch' at 70mph on the motorway and it scared me, probably due to the relatively poor quality road surface but from now on I ALWAYS keep 2 hands firmly on the wheel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreicate your comments greatly. I may be a girl but I am surrounded by nice cars, as my son and his friends all have 200 sx's I have had one too in the past, and a none turbo Skyline, but it wasn't like the Turbo one at all.

What is the HICAS Twitch what does it do then exactly?

My Skyline was imported this year in January and it is TOTALLY STANDARD
I like it that way to a point.

The only thing I would change is the wheels, but then as you say it can effect the Hicas. I may just have these refurbed the centers look aweful down to the plastic (YUK)

Which car do you have?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
skydi said:
so am I right in thinking that my R33 (N reg) Has a factory fitted type of dump valve already, that Nissan must of thought adequate if the car is to be kept standard ?
Yes, There is a BOV fitted from the factory. If you pop the bonnet, and stand by the passenger wheel, looking at the inlet pipe leading to the throttle body (where the accelerator cable connects), you'll see a small (6cm dia.) top-hat style valve to the right hand side of the inlet pipe about level with the big Nissan badge on the top of the cam covers. This is the factory BOV.

skydi said:
Some say it's to do with the wrong boss not taking the Hicas sensor or something like that.
Behind the stock steering wheel there is a disk which marks the rotational position of the steering wheel and sends this signal to the HICAS. You won't have any problems replacing the wheel if you use a proper boss designed for the Skyline. They can be sourced from most of our banner advertisers.

skydi said:
Which car do you have?
I drive a R33 GTS25t, with the stock steering wheel and HICAS. :D

GeorgeBush said:
Each to their own I guess.
Who'd want to be like you anyhow. ;) :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANK YOU SO MUCH you are the FIRST person to explain about the Hicas to me. I have even posted on other Forums.

At last someone who knows.

So would I need to ask for a Skyline Hicas Boss then. Any banner advertisers wishing to reply please do (Send a PM if you are not permitted to sell in this forum)

I don't mind the stock steering wheel but mine is not in good condition I guess I could replace it with another stock one ?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
skydi said:
(Send a PM if you are not permitted to sell in this forum)
No don't PM Skydi if you're not an authorised trader on this site, you'll end up getting banned when Di tells me who you are.

Di,
Our authorised traders have a great reputation for supporting users, don't encourage the riff-raff. ;)

Give one of the banner advertisers a call (or post in the Traders Index), they'll sort you a boss, wheel and lots of advice at a good price. :D

I recall a thread from SDU, saying that it's possible to revive the OEM steering wheel with some saddle soap and tlc. Certainly mine responded well to lots of leather cleaner from Autoglym. Maybe Alex at Serious Performance has something to offer ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG I am so sorry I didn't know the traders weren't permitted to PM me, Please forgive me I am still learning, I do appologise. I have some Professional Leather products didn't think of that, I will give it a go THANK YOU. I am sorry about the error. I consider I have been given a slapped wrist. I hope you won't put me in the Riff-Raff catagory !!! Di

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Di,
Relax ! You weren't to know, and if you read my message again, you'll realise I wasn't 'slapping' your wrists. :D

There are certain traders who support the running of this site, and they pay for advertising rights. You can be assured of the business practices of these traders as we have done background checks etc. prior to setting up with them.

Buying something from non-authorised traders is a bit risky (becasue this is the internet), especially as we have lots of users, it's not possible to vouch for all of them.

Enjoy the forum, relax a lot, and get to know the regulars.....pretty soon you'll be telling me to STFU just for fun. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts