GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, this is my 1st post on the site. Just need some advice on buying a skyline. Right here goes... Basically Im looking for an R33 GTR, I have the cash to buy one (off the for sale section) and im spoilt for choice as there are two I like! These being "TrojanSports" and "Vycka25". Both are really nice examples, however one may need a complete engine rebuild and to be honest is quite scary as I have no idea how much it would cost, the other seems in perfect condition (and in my opinion is in the best colour!!). I joined this site as like most of you I have a passion for cars and have saved up a while to be able to make a purchase like this. Previously I have owned a rover coupe turbo and r5 gtt, I am 22 and insurance isnt a problem as Ive no points or convictions. I dont mind spending the money on running costs or general servicing but dont want to be fleeced into anything!! Look forward to hearing your views.
Many thanks,
Daniel:bowdown1:

·
Registered
25,726 Posts
the cost on running a skyline is far far more than what youve been driving matey

i would consider what you want

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Coincedence...my two cars before the skyline were Rover coupe turbo and before that, 5 GTT.
And, yes, skyline running costs are in a totally different league!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hello mate and welcome to the forum!

The search function at the top of the page can offer you some valuable info,

Engine rebuilds can cost up to about £5k

Just a thought but have you test driven one yet?

Just as a word of warning, these cars are affordable but the running costs sometimes can be a bit of a chore,

I haven't looked at the cars you mentioned for sale but the power and performance difference between what you have driven and a tuned skyline is gonna be huge, overwhelmed me a first (had a civic vti before)

Sev

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome Daniel,

The cost of fuel alone will be enough to bring tears to your eyes, never mind the cost of a full engine rebuild on any GTR.

I don't see why you consider insurance on a GTR won't be a problem as a 22 year old. You should get some quotes before you decide to take the plunge.

Sorry to sound negative, but DO NOT under estimate the costs associated with GTR ownership,

Good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much chaps.
Yes i have driven a skyline, however it was a gts (I know there is a big difference between the two!!) As for the previous cars the r5 was running 230bhp at 25psi (tuned at KTEC), nowhere near the power of the gtr i know!! I forgot to mention, I will only be using the car for weekend purposes only, as I cycle to work (good for your health apparently). As for the insurance, I will be 23 next monday, yipee, and already got in touch with adrian flux, I have 5 years driving, 0pts, no convictions and will have years no claims, the quote was just under 2 grand (fully comp). Does all of this help my case a little?
Really appreciate your opinions.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
230BHP in an R5 Turbo must have been insane what with the weight of the thing. If anything the off the line acceleration might be a let down in the GTR compaired to that but i think the continued pull through third and fourth will make you smile a lot. The little R5 used to run out of steam at about 100, the GTR will not!!;-)
Good luck with your purchase.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
I really wanna know what kind of crappy GTTs people have owned when they all say they run out of steam at 100mph!

Mine was "only" [email protected] but would pull at 100mph round to 140 on the clock (revs are way too high then to go further) jus as well as at lower speeds.

Back to the point of the threads, GTR running costs in the UK are a complete shocker, if people will pay it, garages charge it, and people pay it, so you royally fooked mate, lol.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If it helps I went to buy Vycka's car when it was owned by Doctawoo. We checked it all over and is a very good example...sure you would have no problems with it. Woo took care of it in his ownership too, strictly weekend car etc.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
230BHP in an R5 Turbo must have been insane what with the weight of the thing. If anything the off the line acceleration might be a let down in the GTR compaired to that but i think the continued pull through third and fourth will make you smile a lot. The little R5 used to run out of steam at about 100, the GTR will not!!;-)
Good luck with your purchase.
Yeah the acceleration was quick however, like you said it just died in 4th and 5th and struggled to hit the ton. Miss it a little bit but reliablity on it was awful (over heating not starting etc) basically anything on it what could go wrong went wrong (not surprising when standard r5 is only 115bhp!!!)
Really tempted by "doctawoos" old one but torn with the one currently owned by "trojansport"! Dammit!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts