GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted aero catches to a carbon nismo style bonnet on a R33 GTR ? Ive bought some and found bits of info where some people have fitted them but if I locate the pins in the slam panel area, its where the reinforcement on the bonnet is, which would make them impossible to fit ? For the life of me I cant seem to find an area to locate the pins, that wouldn't go through the reinforcement ??? Any help appreciated guys,
cheers
Daz

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice one :) This is my bonnet from top.

This is a pic of the underside, I do not know the make of the bonnet as I bought it of another member.

Here are 2 picks of where the holes would be located, if I used the existing holes In slam panel, by headlights. You can just make out the yellow dots which I marked.

And here is a pic of my car with bonnet lifted. It seems anywhere I can locate the locking pins on the car body, is where the reinforcement round the bonnet is ? Which would not allow me to fit the aerocatch ?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Aaaaaaah
I gotcha...
Ok - on mine the "second skin" is also cut away. Totally misinterpreted what you meant.
What I will be doing however is fitting a second clamp underneath that EPRacing sell (probably available elsewhere).

I can't really picture it for you but as a fitment it'll be something like the following later description from the top down...
Aerocatch
Outer skin of carbon bonnet
Aerocatch under plate
Gap to second skin...
At this point these will be bolted up in the normal way, but using longer bolts (75mm from memory)
Then...
Lower/second skin
Then another aerocatch plate
Then finnally the base nuts.

At the moment...
It's a bit of a slash and dash with a larger hole being in the lower/second skin.

But like you - want it neat and tidy.
As a side side note - I'm using 2 plates because the top one adds strength and the lower one keeps the look clean when the bonnet is up :) but you could get away with using 1 plate if desired/if at all.

Lengthy setup - but make sense?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I know what you mean, but will the aero catch sit flush on the bonnet ? And also with ,I guess the 2nd skin ,will have to be cut away 1st to enable exact alignment of the pin head, so as to get the top plate of the aero catch in the correct place ? And then the 2nd plate fitted after would not sit flush on 2nd skin would it ? sorry, hope you picture what I mean lol

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Hey Daz

My catches sit pretty flush that way around currently.

For locating the pin - you just need a whole rather than the whole thing cut away.

Regards the skin... You may be right. As said - I'm not that far ahead yet :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts