GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Mine is now fitted and running great. It is running so good infact my car is now boosting at 1.3 bar instead of 1 bar on standard turbos:runaway:

Ive set the controller up and back at 1 bar now, boost is amazingly smooth compared to the stock pump where it was a bit all over the place and my boost reading on my profec b spec 2 are much more accurate.

The pump is very quiet as well which is a plus for anyone who hates loud ones.

The way we fit it was to remove the rubber sleeve with mounting arms from the standard pump and drill some holes in it then use cable ties to firmly mount it inside the rubber sleeve and put it back on the standard mounting bracket.

We used the filter pipe nipple from the standard pump as well but it wasnt a great fit so we put some JB Weld around the edges so it doesnt leak any fuel. Its working great!

·
Registered
110 Posts
That sounds a bit like my install, the only difference was I used hose clamps instead of cable ties. I dont remember having to jb weld the filter pipe nipple, i think i used a rubber type sleeve.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
+1 to the above

when i get chance between ordering other upgrades to get to 600bhp :D

Tib

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Has anyone fitted these to an R32 GTR? I need a pump ASAP.

Is there any difference between the fuel pumps and fitting on a R33 compared to an R32?

Baz

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think it shouldnt be too hard, I just looked at a R32 fuel pump bracket and it looks like a simple swap affair just like the R33 was.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Ok, So I had a look, and then I fitted it....

I took a couple of pics but as usual got busy and forgot to take as many as I would have liked.

One thing I will say, The fuel pickup filter that comes with the pump wouldnt allow me to put the pump back in, So I made a small modification to the pump in order to use the original tank filter. Apart from that, Easy job.

It got a very solid sounding and reassuring hum to it too, But not so loud as to bother, my old pump was pretty much silent, Which I suspect was partly do to it being worn.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
hi mark as regards the size, do you think it would be possible to mount 2 side by side in the tank.
might prove a neater install for reasonable power street cars not wanting to fill the boot with swirl pots and extra pumps. (might order two and give it a go)

Tib

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
You want 2 of these pumps in 1 tank ? Yes, I would say its entirely possible, the bracket that the pump fastens to is huge, im sure with a bit of work you could rig something up like that.

Just give me 5 mins and ill see if any of the pics I took might help you...

Ok....Fat old pump on the left...

I would also say that the hole in the tank is easily big enough to take 2 of these pumps side by side.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
with 2 in tank running to a twin entry fuel rail there should be no need to upgrade any of it later on.
just trying to over spec everything on my build to, as you know what its like you set a goal get there then want more power lol.

the plan is to upgrade the turbo's and fuel system system to get 600 @ the fly then save up for a RB30 bottom end so it may be over spec'd to run 2 for 600bhp but it will all pay off when the 30 goes in it.

Tib

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Dont neglect the fuel tank breather when you put 2 pumps in, I dont know from fact but I would guess you would need to allow more air into the tank.

Do you do the work yourself ?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
yeah most of the work i do myself (classic car mechanic by trade) so no labour costs :thumbsup:

just learning about turbo's and mapping as i dont like to pay for something i can learn to do myself.
hopefully i will single turbo my 33 set the first map enough to get it to a tunner (probably TRL as they are only 20mins away and are legends on mrl for mapping) then going to do the course eurospec do on dyno's and mapping. i see from your progect thread you to do most of your own work.

i dont like leaving my car with someone else and not seeing/knowing exactly wat they did.
plus if it blows up and i built it i've only got myself to blame.:D

Tib

ps i would probably look at fitting a second tank breather to be on the safe side

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
after looking at those pics of the old and new pump i dont see why i couldnt mod the lower part of the bracket put a 1/4 inch peice of rubber inbetween the two pumps and mount them side by side intank then just run a new lines for the 2 pump to a twin entry rail and use the old feed as a larger return to the tank (removing the old return) that coupled with some 720cc injectors and a frp should be good for well over 600hp and up to 700 with a bit of fuel pressure added. worst case senario i get to 700bhp (eventually lol) and just need bigger injectors :thumbsup:

Tib

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Should be quite easy for you to rig up... I for one would like to see what you do, maybe in a project post ? :)

I went out in mine today with the new pump on, And its like the car has be reborn, Every scrap of hesitation and flatspots have all gone, Once it hits 3000rpm it goes a bit mental now instead of feeling like its hit a wall. So, now to find some new injectors and get this emanage fitted.

Very pleased with that pump :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
once i've saved all the bits up i will try and take some pics when i fit it all, still not 100% on which turbo setup to go with yet. but decided on fueling and ecu choices, already fitted a clutch to deal with the power plus all steel topend hks gaskets. i do have a project thread about somewhere. just most of my money has gone on parts waiting to be fitted. :(

here's my slow moving 33 project lol http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/138679-my-r33-gtr-2.html

and my even slower 200sx build http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/149746-my-uk-spec-200sx-s13.html

Tib

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Ive started having issues with mine already.

Car wont start when tank is under 1/4 then it wouldnt start at all, so we had to do the 12v feed mod which seemed to fix it as the variable voltage crap was not giving it enough volts.

Then the crap we put around the nipple to hold the pickup pipe on started leaking so we have had to mount the pump right at the bottom of the bracket with the sock that comes with it, hopefully it should be ok then.

Will let you know friday.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
what did you use to fit/seal the pick-up???

how has it run since the live wire mod??
do you not think it could just be the standard power and relay playing up??
which specific pump did you go for???

Tib

21 - 40 of 60 Posts