GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one please explain what the Lamda sensor does on WOT?
I know it does nothing with regards to effecting the engine but will it show a voltage to indicate a rich AFR?
Freind of mine has just fitted an AFR gauge, when on WOT it goes right round to lean and off the scale. Its running low boost, no det and runs fine!
On part throttle the AFR gauge displays as it should, ie, fluctuating as the ecu continualy adjusts AFR for good mpg.
Is the lamda U.S?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Peter, but does it/should it give a positive voltage to indicate a rich AFR even though the ecu goes into open loop?
At the moment the lamda seems to be giving no voltage on WOT to indicate very lean, ie, zero!

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are two different types of oxygen sensors fitted to Skylines, AFR gauges only work with the type fitted to the R33 and R34. The R32 uses a different type and is not compatable with these AFR gauges.

If it is the right type of sensor, then the voltage should go up to about 0.9V on WOT. If it the gauge is showing lean, then I would suspect the it has been wired up incorrectly.

:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eye, he's connected it in to pin 29 (its a 33 gtst) so that would appear correct. Its looking increasingly likely that the sensor is stuffed.
He's connected a digital meter in and on WOT its showing zero voltage.
Although it seems to work ok on part throttle, it does seem very slow to react with minor throttle fettlling.
I used an AFR gauge on my impreza and it was instantaneous with any throttle movement.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When oxygen sensors fail they read lean usually. Narrowband sensors (ie like the oem sensors in most cars) also read lean when overheated. This is invariably worse in a failing sensor, so this certainly could be an explanation if it's ok at cruise but reads lean (ie 0v) under WOT. Borrow a sensor off someone else (or get a new one) and see if this fixes it.

Simon

NB Martin, yes your traces look normal

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SIHethers said:
When oxygen sensors fail they read lean usually. Narrowband sensors (ie like the oem sensors in most cars) also read lean when overheated. This is invariably worse in a failing sensor, so this certainly could be an explanation if it's ok at cruise but reads lean (ie 0v) under WOT. Borrow a sensor off someone else (or get a new one) and see if this fixes it.

Simon

NB Martin, yes your traces look normal
Thanks Simon, very helpfull mate and kinda goes with the thoughts i was having, thank god:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts