GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of upgrading my brake disc's and I'm looking for some advice on aftermarket disc's. What disc's do you recommend to use with oem calipers.....Alcon, Ap racing etc? I use my Gtr for road use with maybe the odd trackday eventually. Thanks Gaz.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Your best bet would be the Alcon ones that use the oem bell. They work out a lot cheaper. Iv always used the Cosworth Street Master pads with them. Litchfield or Kaiser stock them at the best price.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I have the AP J hooks on mine and they've held up well. They're around £700 IIRC :)

·
Vendor
3,007 Posts
Got these in stock!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You could give rich or ewen a call at Clark Motorsport they have DBA Rotors that work very well go and do a search for the full report we done on these fantastic rotors after testing them at knockhill a few weeks ago. Worth a call you may be surprised with the cost of these rotors and how good they are.

Keith

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Pad choice is quite important.

I had the 400mm Alcons on my MY10 with Cosworth Streetmaster pads I didn't think they were that good.
Personally I'd look for a slightly more aggressive pad as the whole point of a brake upgrade (to me) is making them far more effective.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Im in a similar position, also looking to upgrade from the standard discs and pads, but there is so much choice and so little comparative testing. One track day with someone using a set of discs and pads (especially when thats the equipment that stock to sell) is not enough.

I have held off for so long on buying discs and pads because of this and I am still no closer to decision........ luckily my stock discs and pads have lasted 15k miles :)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Im in a similar position, also looking to upgrade from the standard discs and pads, but there is so much choice and so little comparative testing. One track day with someone using a set of discs and pads (especially when thats the equipment that stock to sell) is not enough.

I have held off for so long on buying discs and pads because of this and I am still no closer to decision........ luckily my stock discs and pads have lasted 15k miles :)
Hi Graham

Me and Suzanne are back at knockhill on sat will report back on our brakes after the track day. You will notice a big change once you do change from the std brake setup. I know that the std setup on our car was not good when driven hard.

Keith

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Hi Graham

Me and Suzanne are back at knockhill on sat will report back on our brakes after the track day. You will notice a big change once you do change from the std brake setup. I know that the std setup on our car was not good when driven hard.

Keith
What are you testing? The same ones....

Im looking forward to the change, my issue on track was boiling fluid and losing confidence in the brakes as the bite/pedal felt as if it was taking in different places. Have since changed to braided lines and the fluid, seems better. Need to get back on track, but work has taken over everything :chairshot

·
Vendor
3,007 Posts
Can you :
Alcon Front Rotors £650 per pair (RRP £870)
Alcon Rear Rotors £650 per pair (RRP £870)
Ferodo DS2500 front Pads £197
Ferodo DS2500 rear Pads £197

plus VAT and Shipping

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
What are you testing? The same ones....

Im looking forward to the change, my issue on track was boiling fluid and losing confidence in the brakes as the bite/pedal felt as if it was taking in different places. Have since changed to braided lines and the fluid, seems better. Need to get back on track, but work has taken over everything :chairshot
Yes Graham

testing the same ones, no point changing as these work so well I was scrubbing off about 100mph in a distance of 150m going into the tight hairpin at knockhill lap after lap,i would go as far as saying that these DBA rotors and Carbone Lorraine pads have been the best I have tested in a road car to date.

Graham now that you have changed your fluid and your braided lines, you fluid wont boil the same now but the std rotors and pads will heat up that much that your std rotors will crack and your brake pad material will start to break up. you may be ok depends how late and how hard your committed on the brakes going into the corners.

better to take your std rotors off now if they are still in a good condition and get something for them. That way you could offset what you get for them against the cost of the aftermarket rotors. once you crack your std rotors they are scrap worthless. something for you to think about.

Keith

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Yes Graham

testing the same ones, no point changing as these work so well I was scrubbing off about 100mph in a distance of 150m going into the tight hairpin at knockhill lap after lap,i would go as far as saying that these DBA rotors and Carbone Lorraine pads have been the best I have tested in a road car to date.

Graham now that you have changed your fluid and your braided lines, you fluid wont boil the same now but the std rotors and pads will heat up that much that your std rotors will crack and your brake pad material will start to break up. you may be ok depends how late and how hard your committed on the brakes going into the corners.

better to take your std rotors off now if they are still in a good condition and get something for them. That way you could offset what you get for them against the cost of the aftermarket rotors. once you crack your std rotors they are scrap worthless. something for you to think about.

Keith
Dont believe in selling 2nd hand brakes discs and pads like this

I am working on some custom ducting for the front calipers ;) have a spare front bumper just need to do some fibre glassing.

I liked the temp gauges/indicators you had on the calipers where can I get these?

Not that committed or braking that late.... 600+hp GTR is still faster than most things on track :D

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Dont believe in selling 2nd hand brakes discs and pads like this

I am working on some custom ducting for the front calipers ;) have a spare front bumper just need to do some fibre glassing.

I liked the temp gauges/indicators you had on the calipers where can I get these?

Not that committed or braking that late.... 600+hp GTR is still faster than most things on track :D
nothing wrong will selling good rotors to someone that is looking for good replacements for a road car that don't want to pay Nissan prices mine will be going up for sale only done 12k miles and thanks to Tazz still like new.

fitting ducting is ok Graham but the only thing that you will cool down is the inside of the calipers as the metal back plate behind the rotor stops any air getting blown onto the rotor itself.

I plan to remove the metal backing plates as that's why the rear pads seen more heat than the outer ones.

Clark Motorsport posted saying they car sell the temp gauges/indicators give Rich a shout.

Keith

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
nothing wrong will selling good rotors to someone that is looking for good replacements for a road car that don't want to pay Nissan prices mine will be going up for sale only done 12k miles and thanks to Tazz still like new.

fitting ducting is ok Graham but the only thing that you will cool down is the inside of the calipers as the metal back plate behind the rotor stops any air getting blown onto the rotor itself.

I plan to remove the metal backing plates as that's why the rear pads seen more heat than the outer ones.

Clark Motorsport posted saying they car sell the temp gauges/indicators give Rich a shout.

Keith
Personal choice really....

The ducting is similar to what the guys run for Time Attack in the US, so should be quite effective, but brake temps (via paint or gauges will the best way to prove it to myself).

Thanks will do

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Some interesting (comparative) reviews - AP, Alcon, Racing Brakes, etc.
Review of RB Brake Rotors - Brakes - GT-R Life

Also found these on the SVM site, which look pretty cool:-
Brakes for Nissan GTR
Front & Rear Package Price £4250.00 inc VAT & Installation (All Models of R35)

Level 3

Stillen Nissan GT-R R35 Carbon-Ceramic Matrix Brake Upgrade

The STILLEN R&D team continues to develop industry-leading performance products with long-standing technical partner AP Racing. Their hard work has resulted in the release of the next generation in Carbon-Ceramic Matrix (CCM-X) brakes for the Nissan GTR. This kit utilizes a new High Thermal Capacity (HTC) process which helps pull the heat from the CCM disc surface deeper into the 3D core to allow the discs to operate cooler through more efficient use of internal venting and air flow.
I would be very interested to know about the life of this stillen setup and the performance!! Any one got running it?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi Personally I would not recommend the Cosworth street master or DS2500 for track in 600hp+ full weight GTRs! Material just isn't up to the job of sustained high temperatures lap after lap on circuit. Also OEM fluid will boil over so minimum required is change the fluid or fluid and hoses.

Keith has tested the CL RC8 pads and IS still testing as he will be at Knockhill again this weekend. Either me or Keith will report back with our findings after the weekend.

CL proved to be very good on track, we were so pleased with the results we started to stock them.

Other pads we would recommend are the Carbotech and Pagid RS29

Rich

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Hi Personally I would not recommend the Cosworth street master or DS2500 for track in 600hp+ full weight GTRs! Material just isn't up to the job of sustained high temperatures lap after lap on circuit. Also OEM fluid will boil over so minimum required is change the fluid or fluid and hoses.

Keith has tested the CL RC8 pads and IS still testing as he will be at Knockhill again this weekend. Either me or Keith will report back with our findings after the weekend.

CL proved to be very good on track, we were so pleased with the results we started to stock them.

Other pads we would recommend are the Carbotech and Pagid RS29

Rich
Totally agree wrt the pads, I have alcon disc's with the streetmasters and they really did not hold up well for a stage 4 car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts