GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how easy it would be to replace the OEM oil pressure gauge with a decent aftermarket stepper unit - has anyone done this in the past?

I'd like to keep a closer eye on my pressures but don't really want duplicate dials on the dash!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a fair point. There's always the low pressure light on the dash too though, and a decent stepper gauge and sender should be far more reliable than the OEM units!

Judging by the lack of replies I guess this isn't something that's really been done much before? I might have to get hold of a spare set of clocks to figure it out - a broken set would be great if anyone has one!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
that's a fair point. There's always the low pressure light on the dash too though, and a decent stepper gauge and sender should be far more reliable than the OEM units!

Judging by the lack of replies I guess this isn't something that's really been done much before? I might have to get hold of a spare set of clocks to figure it out - a broken set would be great if anyone has one!
If you have a look in my thread in the picture section you'll see what I've done.

I have replaced the centre gauges with stack items (oil pressure and temp, boost) and moved the voltmeter to the position of the oem oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great, I assume swapping the voltmeter in is easy and just needs a live and earth from the cluster pins?

I'll take a look now, sounds like a really good option!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
That's great, I assume swapping the voltmeter in is easy and just needs a live and earth from the cluster pins?

I'll take a look now, sounds like a really good option!
Sort of.

You'll need to isolate the 'live' pin on the motor from the PCB (otherwise you'll be sending oil pressure info).

I think that the earth pin is the same.

I took a pin from the appropriate incoming wire on the loom for the centre gauges. I forget exactly but I think that a normal live was no good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts