GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,i've had my car for a few months now so i think it's time to modify, firstly i'm thinking of adding some air filters my question being : if i do this how much will this raise my co level i know perhaps that this will depend on what system i use but a broad idea is what i'm after.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott said:
I wouldn't bother if I was you.
Save up for an exhaust instead if you don't have one already!

You get a bigger bang for yu buck!
hi scott i feel the combination of the two would be more benefical than just one of them but the exhaust is next on my list.cheers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
venners said:
hi all,i've had my car for a few months now so i think it's time to modify, firstly i'm thinking of adding some air filters my question being : if i do this how much will this raise my co level i know perhaps that this will depend on what system i use but a broad idea is what i'm after.
:mad:
What car do you want to instal that stuff in? Will you take part in racing?
If not simply safe your money. This can give you only disapointment - we call it 'psychical tuning'. Your acceleration will go down for 95%.
Zdrowko

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Basenji,
This statement you have made above is plainly wrong !

Venners is running a R33 GTR Vspec, if you look under his avatar on the right hand side of the screen you'll see this.

The RB26DETT is well known to have a very positive response to an exhaust and air filter swap.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks jason i thought basenji's response was a little odd and was wondering if i was the only one who could see my avatar,i've swapped air filters before and found very favourable gains in terms of bhp.perhaps basenji feels the heat from the engine bay will be sucked into the filter thus not giving much benefit but i usually put ducting from the front of the car to the filters so the benefit can be realised.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Indeed you are right venners

there is also a side vent in the wing on the GTRs and this is fed from the front of the car and ensures that cold air gets fed to the filters.
You may get heat soak I guess but there is plenty of cold air coming from the feed.
Make sure it is not blocked as it is blocked as std by some sort of plug.
**** knows what that other bloke was on about. What a mong.

NLW

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Guys,
I think Basenji was speaking of most NA cars, where an airfilter swap will not make a big increase in BHP.

I remember when I fitted my first ever KN and thought my car sounded faster. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had GT version done in my engine and I was thinking about air filter + pipes or some special pipeline ( I don't know its name, probably jet pump or ejector) but after some examination in the garage decided to skip it, because the cost compared to profits would be too high. And of course you need a skilled mechanic to fix all the pipes properly. Without those pipes all sports air filters are almost aways useles. In Poland many young people start their mechanical tuning with air filters, magnetisers etc and the results are easy to guess. That is why I suggested leaving the the idea.
Calculated profits for my car were:
basic power: 41hp
after GT:50hp
after air filter + pipes: 51,5hp
As you see the results are not very impressive.
But I beleive that you are not angry with me.
Zdrówko
P.S. What are NA cars?
Does skyline means cars after tuning?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Basenji,
What is a Tico GT ? Who manufacturers it ? What is the marketing name in the UK ?

NA = Naturally Aspirated, basically meaning a normal engine which is not running forced induction, ie. Turbo or supercharger.

Does skyline means cars after tuning?
I think we have a language problem here !

Incidently the 1.5bhp increase over 50bhp without your filter, is a 3% gain, I'd have done it :)

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Lets get back on topic :)

Venners,
I can't see the airfilters causing a huge difference to the co levels.

Have you noticed that Shin and some others have gone back to running the stock air box with an aftermarket element ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
JasonO said:
Basenji,
What is a Tico GT ? Who manufacturers it ? What is the marketing name in the UK ?

NA = Naturally Aspirated, basically meaning a normal engine which is not running forced induction, ie. Turbo or supercharger.

I think we have a language problem here !

Incidently the 1.5bhp increase over 50bhp without your filter, is a 3% gain, I'd have done it :)
Well yes, why not some more English learning for me?!?
So, what is this skyline??
About the Tico. It is an A class vehicle of Daewoo (korean) production, now exchanged into a new Daewoo Matiz model. What is its English name - I do not know.
Have a look at http://republika.pl/du_tico/index2.html and then galeria.There you can find some more or less tuned ( may I say tuned?) and one of them is mine. It can give you impression. It was quite popular in Poland and some other mid European countries.
Unfortunatelly I cannot place any picture here.
Zdrówko

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Lets get back on topic :)

JasonO said:
Venners,
I can't see the airfilters causing a huge difference to the co levels.

Have you noticed that Shin and some others have gone back to running the stock air box with an aftermarket element ?
hi jason,i did'nt see that thread why did they go back to standard airboxes?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I think more than anything else it was to do with the quality of filtration and less to do with airflow.

I think Cem runs his R34 like this too.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So, what is this skyline??
erm, its the car that this website is dedicated to. Take a look on the front page and you can see a few.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts