GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently got hold of a bayside blue 2001 R34 GTT.

The car has had the waterpump and cambelt done prior to my ownership. But i have since noticed that the car is losing coolant, i've topped up the overflow tank to max and after a drive the next morning the it will be at min, done this about 3 times now. I have driven the car hard and there is no over heating issues, gauge stays at halfway and oil temp is just under 110. but when i pop the bonnet i can hear bubbling noises at the back of the engine just above the coil cover.

I have pressure tested the system at 1 bar for 3 hours and there was no loss in pressure
I have bought one of those combustion testers from ebay, put it on the overflow tank and there was no colour change
I have done a search and have bled the coolant, heater on, open bleed valve etc until there is no more bubbles coming out of the bleed valve.

the issue is, if i leave the car for say 4 hours and open the bleed valve there is more bubbles coming out, so i keep topping the rad until there's no bubbles.
leave it for 4 hours and there's bubbles again.

is there just loads of air in the system or is there something bigger you think?

i'm taking the car to Jez (h-dev) on wednesday for some work and i'll see what he says.

thanks

James

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Is the top rad hose suppose to be hard when engine is hot?
It shouldn't be rock solid, Is the hose 'bulging'?
I'd try filling up the 'overflow' tank and give the engine a rev, if coolant pisses out of the tank then you may have a cracked block or maybe even a gasket failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It shouldn't be rock solid, Is the hose 'bulging'?
I'd try filling up the 'overflow' tank and give the engine a rev, if coolant pisses out of the tank then you may have a cracked block or maybe even a gasket failure.
Its not bulging. But the hose pressure doesn't seem to change. It's the same hot or cold as in not hard at all. But when I pressurised the system at 0.9 (rad cap pressure) the top hose is hard ish.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have a leak somewhere, you should hold 1 bar in the cooling system and leave it for an extended period of time to see if you're bleeding off pressure anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts