GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Phil,

I said nothing about the deletion of the box will lead to injesting dirt, just warmer air.
Fitting a bad quility aftermarket filter to a box (or in cone form), WILL lead to engine wear.

Will it help if I sum it up like this:

Box & Standard paper filter = Cool air, High restriction & Good filtering.
Box & 'Sporty' panel filter = Cool air, High restriction & Bad filtering.
Cone filter = Warmer air, Low restriction & Bad filtering.
Cone filter in paper would = Warmer air Low restriction & Good filtering

Unfortunatly nobody makes a cone filter using quality paper. :mad:

As surgested by most, and I agree, the warm air issue isn't a big one, only a few degrees in it.

All I was doing is helping people:
1. Realise the trade off.
2. Help them to decide the best protection out of the after market brands.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Scott...you never said what you think about HKS PF filters. I recall you thought the foam did not have an oily substance, in your previous argumentation....so does this chanage what you said about poor filtering?

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dino,
My notes arn't meant to be what I think of them,
so much as how well they preform under our lab tests.

And these tests show a trend for each type of filter media regardless of brand.
I was first unaware that the HKS was oiled, but this was pointed out by a few people.
But this does'nt change much, its still foam with big holes.

From what we have seen in after market filters:

The Apexi type of cotton wool filter performs very well, with lower restriction than paper,
but with lslightly lower filtering capability.

After that I'd say go for trusty old K&N.

I wouldn't, myself, go for either foam of a mesh.

Look at the numbers yourself on the first page of this thread.

The decision is yours.;)

·
Registered
997 Posts
OS GIKEN 3litre.

Guy is that what you`ve ordered? ;)
Henry:smokin:

The Blitz Supra doesn`t have "filters" just fine stainless steel mesh! I`m into HKS Purple foam on the R33.

Henry.:smokin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I suppose the heat- in -the- bonnet problem could very well be solved by installing one of those aftermarket bonnet cover with the vents on it such as those made by Top Secret, Electra etc etc. The only poblem with the vent is that rain water tends to sip through it when the car is parked!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Evening all,

Just a quick question from a humble 200sx owner (grovel, scrape and so on and so forth;) )

How does water affect the performance of a cone filter and how effective is a cone filter against water?

I'm currently trying to decide what to do with my box (so to speak) and after reading this thread have pretty much decided against a panel filter.

However a thought struck me the other day whilst driving in torrential rain, spray and standing water (sometimes all at the same time) of how effective an aftermarket filter would be in said conditions, or does it not get that wet around the filter?

Some people have direct air feeds in their engine bays and this could theoretically blow soggy air straight at the filter, are they designed to resist this type of thing?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards
Dave

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dave,

Yep, There may be problems with water injestion, if you drive through deep fords,
something standard cars should be protected against to some extents.
And there is also problems, as you say, with cone filters being less protected from
the elements. Spray may enter the grille and wet the filter, not bad, but not good.
On a standard system, spray sticks to the sides of your ducting and filter box and
is allowed to drain. But with standard OEM paper filters, they do have less resilience
to water than a cotton with some sort of wire structure to it.

I guess its just up to you to know your installation and its limits .

Not much more I can say. As the dealer would say,
you mess with it , you take the responsibility.:confused:

Will that do Glen.;)

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Hi Scott,

I'm contemplating replacing the HKS filters and holders from my Power Flows and adapting/fitting a pair K & N filters. I guess the largest that will fit is best but which type of K & N filter would you recommend? There seems to be the normal type and the filtercharger type.

On the subject of water getting into/through the filters, I have suffered twice with water getting through the filters to the air flow meter/s. On the way up to Bedford last November, it rained torrentially most of the way up and by the time we were nearly there, my 'check engine' light started to flash and she started spluttering a little. This cleared itself after a lap or two on track.

Thanks.

Peter.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Peter,
The only type of K&N I know is the Oil coated cotton gause type.
I'm not sure of the sizes, but I can look tonight if you wish.
Mind you they do need the correct adapters to place the
cones in the right location in order to get both in.
How about the Apexi kit??:confused:

As for the water ingestion, when ever it is pouring I pull way back from the
car in front to minimise spray going through my grille.

Only goes to show the adverse effects some mods can have.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Scott said:
I can look tonight if you wish.

Mind you they do need the correct adapters to place the
cones in the right location in order to get both in.
How about the Apexi kit??:confused:
Thanks Scott, I would be interested in sizes.

I do want to go for an Apexi induction kit, not the standard one but the Super Suction kit which includes new pipes from the afm's to the turbos but this involves replacing the afm's for Z32 units. As I'm just embarking on some other mods, I'm looking for a half way house (read cheaper) solution in the interim.

Peter.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Peter,
Why do you have to change you air flow meters?:confused:
I would of thought the Apexi kit should bolt straight on the 33.
Or do you need the Z32 afm's for another reason?:confused:

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Scott,

The Apexi 'Super Suction' kit is made for 80mm diameter afms (Z32). The normal Apexi induction kit, i.e. without pipes turbo side of the afms, does fit the stock afms.

Did you manage to find those sizes. Physically, they need to be fit onto 80mm pipes and be about 120mm long to fit in.

Thanks.

Peter.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your advice please...

My 32 has two HKS dome type filters, but when I got it the foam bits were looking tired, so I dumped them.
I found what appeared to be a similar type of fairly fine material in my local aquarium centre, as used in fish ponds, and installed it in the filters.
However, when blowing at 1.5 bar, it seemed like the car was just not sucking air in quick enough, and I figured that the foam was too thick, and dumped it.

At the moment I'm using a type of fine mesh nylon, similar to the material used in quilts, but thinner, and it is certainly allowing sufficient air through as my recent dyno test shows. The holes in this material appear to be finer than the original HKS stuff anyway. It seems to be holding up very well.

Question is...is it SAFE?

John

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
John,
I would n't like to say what you have done is unsafe,
but its not been tested to the same extent a filter would of by the manufacturer.

HKS do packs of filter foam for you filters at, what I'd amagine, should be quite inexpensive.

If I was you, rather than save a few quid, I'd go get the proper stuff.;)

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ian,
I have been around, looking in.
just haven't seen too much recently that needs my 2 penny worth.;)

Need some sort of moral boosting meet soon.:D

21 - 40 of 87 Posts