GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving about in my R34 GT-R I have to set the aircon temperature to about 26deg before any warm air starts to blow. Ambients outside right now are about 18-19deg.

Oil and water are just showing 70deg on the MFD, which is normal for the thermostats and coolers fitted on the car. Still, warm air can be produced and the cabin heated adequately - but why would the dial be so far off?

Could it be a sensor clogged with fluff or a bad connection?

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Anything I can do that could make it a little more accurate?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lets's put it a different way - does anyone with an R34 consider their aircon displayed target temperature to be accurate?

Normal room temperature is 21-22deg, in any other car I am comfortable with 20-22deg setting as expected. Setting 22deg on my R34 is just cold...

Setting 26deg on any other car and you would feel like you were in an oven - on my 34 it is just starting to get warm.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Can you explain the climate diagnostic check? I suppose some sort of Nissan diagnostic tool would be required?

Is the cabin temperature sensor around the clock surround area? I seem to remember having to unclip a sensor when I changed to Nismo clocks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks for the input. Can you explain the climate diagnostic check? I suppose some sort of Nissan diagnostic tool would be required?

Is the cabin temperature sensor around the clock surround area? I seem to remember having to unclip a sensor when I changed to Nismo clocks.
This thread has a link to the portion of the workshop manual you need to identify your problem (by running AC diagnostic mode - no special tools needed)
R34 Air Con Problem - General Maintenance - Skylines Australia

From memory if a sensor (interior or exterior) is disconnected or has died it gives some crazy reading that throws out the base temp.

There's a few things, including mechanical that can cause the issue, which should be picked up by the diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Last time i took my dashboard off, the sensor to the left of the steering wheel was covered in dust, i don't know how it got there and my car is always cleaned regularly although not sure on previous owners.

Anyway, once i cleaned it up it did make a big difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thats great info! I will give it a go but I bet it is something to do with the tube and sensor near the clock surround.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I have run the diagnostics and when in Mode 5 I found that if you press the fan switch you can change from -3.0 - 3.0. I was not sure what it was for, so I read a little further into the Diagnostics and found this:

Temperature Setting Trimmer

Temperature setting trimmer compensates for small differences between temperature setting on display and actual temperature within a range of +/-6 °F (+/-3 °C).
With system in SELF-DIAGNOSIS STEP 5, press FAN switch. System is now in auxiliary mode to set trimmer. Each time UP or DOWN temperature control switch is pressed, temperature display changes in one (1 ) degree Fahrenheit increments. (My R34 displaye Celcius, it increments in 0.5deg steps by turning the temp wheel)
NOTE:If battery is disconnected, temperature trimmer setting goes to 0 ° on both Fahrenheit and Celsius scale and will have to be reset.

Found the info here:

Heater Problem 1992 Nissan Maxima 6 Cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic...

So it appears if the display temperatures are not accurate, a bit of fiddling and they can be put right.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it did not show any errors and the measured temperatures seemed about right, nothing far from what you would expect.

With some trial and error I hope to get it back to displaying accurately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts