GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, posted the below in my thread but thought I would post it here as i really am pleased with the results of a few items i bought recently. Am sure a few others would be keen on it too:

Hey guys,

Very excited about something new fitted to the car this week. I think this is a great solution for all the people with a 2009 car who are frustrated with getting music to the radio.

So Lee has fitted a FM modulator to my car with an iPod dock, and whilst this was great I just found it frustrating to keep having to pick the phone up connected via cable and mess around with the tracks etc. Then there is the question of where to have the cable, in the centre console? In the cup holder? Hmm both have downsides.

So i purchased the following items, I wasn't 100% sure they would work but to tell you straight off, it works a charm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C66X2O2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dolry-HiFi-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1388515932&sr=8-1&keywords=dolry

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088U4YAG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B7TGVP6/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then you can add charging cables.

I bought a 3g PHONE plan, not a data plan, 1mth rolling, 12 pounds a month, not data limit, no limit on tethering etc. This is much better than the data plans they have as those are limited to 15GB. The sim works fine in the wifi hub and serves as an internet portal as well as a central wifi router for my spotify to connect for my iPads/iphones.

I then use the charger to keep the router charged all the time in the central armrest and the FM modulator with the Dolry connected to the wifi allows me to use airplay devices through the radio.

I love this setup, 1) Airplay does not downgrade the audio quality which is crucial when using an FM mod setup as the last thing you need is a poor quality audio signal further being downgraded via the FM mod route
2) The wifi hub allows anyone getting into the car to use their phones as a audio source through the radio without any issues as well as getting the data to stream music etc. and given its unlimited and pretty fast i don't have to worry about data usage.
3) sound quality is great, I can have the phone anywhere, in a cradle, in the cup holder, people in the back selecting songs from my spotify account, even searching for artists not on my playlists etc. because its using the data and is not on 'offline' mode
4) I have an old iPhone in the car that has no sim in it, it just uses the wifi broadcast to connect to the internet and has spotify on it. It stays in the car and whenever i update my playlists at home it auto syncs so I don't have to worry about getting in the car and getting my android to sync with airplay ( a little mission in itself).

Costs are not too high, and range is much better than bluetooth, not that its an issue in the car but you know you won't have any problems with signal dropping and music not getting to the dolry receiver.

As you can guess I am over the moon with this working... makes a huge difference to me as I love my music.

:squintdan:squintdan:squintdan

H

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi spiking
I bought my 09 gtr about 2 yr ago and the bloke before me had an i phone dock installed,
It sits next to the centre console and the phones programmed straight into the car with no need to mess about with station no,s and then the phones connected through the cars bluetooth system so ne need for wires al post pics wen i get my car back but its brill the setup at the min

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Great work haroon.

It's really satisfying when your plan works.

Can I ask what exactly you wanted from the mobile hotspot that you couldn't get from your phone contract and what made you go with the dorky stone over the other similar items?

In fact, I note there's a stone S, do they differ?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Alan,

I needed a central wifi hub to use for the airplay device and I figured for the £12 a month it would be worth having 3g so that all my devices (iPads/iphones etc.) can play my spotify playlists without each having their own contracts, also it means if i update my playlists at home I know when I get in the car the iPhone/ipad will be already sync'd.

My phone contract is one that does not allow free internet tethering (giff gaff) and so i would not be able to use it's internet connection to use the spotify on my ipad in the car.

I went with the dolry as it was small, simple and cheap on amazon (not to mention amazon prime free shipping :) ), it had good reviews online, the only gripe being the price, but the amazon price seems reasonable at the moment.

The stone S has a few extra buttons that do very little (mute, internet radio and my favourites ) which with current firmware offer no benefit at all, so the dolry stone appears to be the one to go for. Pleased with how it has performed so far.

H

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Think I must be misunderstanding how it works.

I may have just sussed it though.

You can't use your phone's data and wifi to send via airplay at the same time as the wifi will be the source of the data.

Have you seen the igbloo Bluetooth receiver? That would be a neat simple solution with incredible quality that wouldn't require a data connection. Just use your phone's data with spotify and stream via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh but you can Adam... thats the beauty of Airplay. The attached Airplay device attaches to your network, your device streams music to they device via the network but can use the wifi network to also access the internet for spotify/internet/youtube. It is lossless too, no quality degradation that I am aware of. Difficult for me to explain. I'll try and get pics up and describe with that. Could be useful for those of you with 2011 cars that have the iPod connector but feel the bluetooth quality isn't quite as high as you would like.

H

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
For airplay you need to connect to a wifi network that contains your airplay receivers. If you do that, surely you need the network to have data access available which explains why you've done it.

As for later cars with iPhone connection, not sure why this would help, there's little reason to stream over Bluetooth when you can plug in directly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Think I must be misunderstanding how it works.

I may have just sussed it though.

You can't use your phone's data and wifi to send via airplay at the same time as the wifi will be the source of the data.

Have you seen the igbloo Bluetooth receiver? That would be a neat simple solution with incredible quality that wouldn't require a data connection. Just use your phone's data with spotify and stream via Bluetooth.
I am liking the look of the Igbloo, shame it isn't available yet. Soon I hope.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
For airplay you need to connect to a wifi network that contains your airplay receivers. If you do that, surely you need the network to have data access available which explains why you've done it.

As for later cars with iPhone connection, not sure why this would help, there's little reason to stream over Bluetooth when you can plug in directly.
The Dolry unit has wifi direct so will work in a car without a wifi network.

I've ordered one and will connect it to my Dension unit and see how it goes.

Should hopefully mean I can use a new brodit mount for my iPhone 5 with a charger that charges it properly.

Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
:confused:Guys …

Sorry to sound thick & stupid, but this is all beyond me!!!!:confused:

However, i am desperate to get my itunes library to play through my stereo (MY09) !

Can someone simplify all the above and just point me to a simple solution that will allow me to enjoy my music without degrading the sound quality???

Many thanks

:bowdown1:

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
:confused:Guys …

Sorry to sound thick & stupid, but this is all beyond me!!!!:confused:

However, i am desperate to get my itunes library to play through my stereo (MY09) !

Can someone simplify all the above and just point me to a simple solution that will allow me to enjoy my music without degrading the sound quality???

Many thanks

:bowdown1:
Simple way is to get Lee to sort it out when you go in for Ecutek mate.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Okay it goes like this.. (see here also)

1. You need a wired FM modulator (Dension Ice One or similar) which will feed audio into the antenna of the car's AV unit.

2. That comes with a simple DIN aerial connector so you will need an adaptor (Autoleads PC5-148)

3. Get that all connected and the modulator will feed stereo to your AV head unit at a selected F freq (mine is set to 88.7)

4. Plug in the Dolry unit into the iphone cable supplied with the Dension unit (or similar)

5. Download the Dolry app from the App Store and connect your iphone to the dolry unit using the app and wifi direct.

Now when you play itunes in your car, select airplay and dolry and away you go.

Hope that helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts