GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get some feedback/testimonials on alcohol injection for an RB26.

Ran into a guy today that was singing it's praises on performance and cooler temps. Essentially the same effect as nitrous, and much cheaper.

So please chime in with your thoughts/experience.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
have a look at ww.max-boost.co.uk

its nothing like nitrous though......nowhere near the power but it increases octane nicely

the best info is avaliable on the aquamist forum, but i think its down at the moment

i use a 50/50 ethanol/water mix injected at 0.6bar to combat det on my RB26, it works!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
mine is just before intake manifold

TBH i cant remember what size the injector is as the car has yet to be setup fully but i am using the jap 100 octane chip at 21 degrees with no detonation...recently the car has begun to run very rich due to a suspected lambda/ecu fault which has stopped me from using different injector sizes/mixture ratios/injection points

from what im told 100% methanol pre turbo injection is by far the best method!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
how big is your reservoir? how often do you need to refill? denatured ethanol I can buy for cheap at the pharmacy - ok, I'm seriously going to look into one of these systems.

An injector, a solenoid, a pump, a tank, triggered by a preset boost level. Simpl e enough!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
i use the windscren washer bottle TBH...dehydrated ethanol is cool, i use this also!

the system i have is aquamist but i do recommend the noswizard/highpower system because it increases injection rate inline with boost pressure unlike other kits

you dont really want the fumes coming into the car when you use the bottle and i wouldnt advise keping a 100% concentration in it either but i dont really use the car for anything other than a friday night blast so i dont have an issue with this

refill would depend on injector size and reservoir size but lets say 1 litre per month because its only injected at over stock pressure

have a look through Tuning the LET , john knows far more about it than i do and has had good results running very lean mixtures at full boost and advancing the ignition, have your cake and eat it lol

i hope to do some work with this myself soon

·
Registered
832 Posts
Does anyone know if an HKS AIC can be used for methanol injection ?? It's already installed in my car but a detune with smaller turbo means I no longer require the AIC. I am wondering what effect methanol and/or water will have on the 720cc injector ??
Not exactly sure how I would pump it thru the injector though:confused:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
A boost-triggered Coolingmist system has been ordered. At first it will see duty only as insurance at high boost levels. Later on, I can see myself adding bits to make it a more integral part of my engine. The R32 washer fluid tank holds more than 4 liters - plenty big enough. But the main thing is my suspicion that Korean hi-test isn't always a steady and solid 100RON, but rather good batches and bad batches get sold and you never know what you get. Man, I wish they had pocket test kits to check "purity", like what drug dealers kingpins use to test out their product. Imagine dipping your finger into the premium petrol and then rubbing it against your gums, then saying, "mmm, seems about right, fill'er up". Ok, I'm wandering now...

I don't really see a downside to water injection, other than having to learn how to use it. As a neophyte, I'm planning to use 50/50 ethanol and water until spring, where I'll go to 100% water. From my limited perusal of water injection forums, some say windscreen fluid is a-ok, some say it's crap. Can't say I imagine blue coloring can be good for the combustion chamber, who knows what kind of residue that'll leave after being lit up at 800 degrees? It'll cost $10-$15 to fill the tank with ethanol and distilled water from the pharmacy - more than the $3 of windshield wash fluid but probably worth the peace of mind and reduce the chance of clogging the injector nozzle.

No real sacrifice of the windscreen wiper system - I'm so anal about the glass that I'll pull over and handwide the screen clean rather than have washer fluid spray willy-nilly all over my car.

AFAIK methanol will burn as part of the air-fuel mixture, so you'll have to map for it, although the stuff does have an octane of like 118 or so.

I'm thinking of installing the injector immediately after the intercooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts