GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......after 2400 miles including two track days - one at Bedford in June with some high speed stops and one this week at Donington in the wet.

I have Performance Friction pads, and the set up is awesome, but I would have expected a lot more out of the discs. I've read about vibration (which I don't get) but not heard anything about cracking.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Alcon Front Disc 400mm.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm thanks for this Oldbob. Looks like the lightweight 400mm motors may not be up to the job. The US upgrade sounds more like they are rectifying the problem rather than producing an enhanced product.

I will speak to my supplier and report back here if there is any more to add.

Appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I assume you are on a CBA car? The callipers are different on the earlier cars and the 400mm alcons did suffer cracking and issues due to calliper contact, when pushed hard on track (as they expand).

If you are on CBA, have you checked your calliper?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ive had all my previous AP's crack with low mileage from using PF Pads, Just an FYI as these pads are known as Disc Killers by many. Donnington main straight I had a disc shatter and that was after 5 track days but the new pads were just amazing.

Not saying this is related but PF are some of the best pads as long as we are willing to keep replacing discs.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
400mm on CBA calliper I understand to not be ok when pushed.

The PF pads (01 compound? or maybe 08) I understand to offer incredible braking performance (2g?) but absolutely annihilate disks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Not used PF on the R35 yet.
But used PF discs with PF Z rated pads on my RB320 & found them awesome.
They're well known for their longevity & 25k+ fast road miles they are still going strong!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't recall my pad material as it was a while back, best pads next to Pagids IMO but will never use them again unless for fast road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two Nissan GTR 2009 Alcon Superkit this problem in 4000 and less than 6000km, no track use. Alcon's help is disastrous, I think cheated and deceived. Please do not buy in Alcon.

The front discs are cracked before consuming 25% of the brake pad. Shameful.

Anyone know if I have any chance of carbon front disc calipers Superkit?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have two Nissan GTR 2009 Alcon Superkit this problem in 4000 and less than 6000km, no track use. Alcon's help is disastrous, I think cheated and deceived. Please do not buy in Alcon.

The front discs are cracked before consuming 25% of the brake pad. Shameful.

Anyone know if I have any chance of carbon front disc calipers Superkit?
Which pads?

·
Vendor
787 Posts
alvarodim,

I have said before the Alcon Superkit is one of the very best upgrades we offer for the GTR. We have sold a huge number and only have positive things to say with the kits we have installed here.

I can only report what we have experienced through years of using the Alcon products. In this time we have had no problems with cracking or vibrations which can't be explained or simply removed. The cracking highlighted in this post is surface crazing which can occur on any steel disc and would not cause me concern.

If your customer has done 6,000miles including a Modball rally I would expect the brakes to have been used hard and are likely to have uneven pad deposition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts