GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Firstly I ahve to say I am a HUGE advocate of the Alcon BBK, it stands up to my very hard road driving and multiple track days.

Recently I had a small noise from the rear of the car. Did usual checks including brakes. Brakes had 50% meat on the outside and as the kit was fairly new I didn't check the inside. Noise got worse over last week especially when coming to a stop so a I was 100% sure it was the brakes. Checked the inside pads and again 50% left.

BBK users - Looks like you only get 50% of material usage so check regularly.

**UPDATE**
Just had one of Alcons agents call me and checked my VIN number and I have one of the earliest kits and as it turns out road pads in the back. I am getting some track based pads in there and they are taking the pads back for inspection and investigation. The phone call I just got gave me great confidence in the customer service through Alcon and its dealers.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Vernon,

Was it an early kit because I was under the impression that all pads are glued on. Wouldn't the fault lie with pagid anyway?

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point Adam and as it turns out I may have had some very early road pads on there so sending them back for inspection.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice edit Vernon :chuckle:
Well quite rightly I should have spoken to Alcon first, I was just a bit annoyed but as it turns out I had nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are Alcon going to help out, or are the discs scrap?
By no way are the discs scrap, but I do feel they should be replaced. Nothing in writing so to speak but it does look like Ill be getting a new set of discs one way or another. Good news is that I may just upgrade to the carbon ones and get a discount instead!

This thread was more about trying to prevent anyone else having the issue. Really my own fault for ignoring the sound.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Mmmm mine was, as far as I know, the first GTR to be fitted with the BBK back in 2008. No problems with either disc's or pads, however I have just replaced ALL pads with the service at Mr L

I check my breaking system regularly as I do quite a few Track days too, all OK and good to go ! But thank you for the heads up Vernon

·
Registered
924 Posts
I check my breaking system regularly as I do quite a few Track days too, all OK and good to go ! But thank you for the heads up Vernon
That will be braking system then I guess, unless it's broken, then of course you would be correct. :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
That will be braking system then I guess, unless it's broken, then of course you would be correct. :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:
Always get one don't you!!!:)

Multi-tasking with typing work emails as well!!
:(

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yeah yeah, excuses excuses, just like the Bridgies :)
No excuses with the Bridgies - the one and only best tyre as designed by Bridgestone as requested by Nissan for the GT-R :):bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My discs are like new and pads have about 5mm left ... Going to put some new pads on and see what happens ! Thanks for the heads up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts