GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just put the alcon big brake kit on, well, not me but the garage. The kit is 2nd hand but should still be good. Discs are used, but brand new pads.

The pads seem loose, there vibrating when driving, not causing any braking force, but sounds terrible. It's definitely the pads, just rolling forward and reverse you can hear the pads knock when brakes are applied. Anyone any ideas? I spoke to the garage quickly, the reckon the springs are a bit soft, I'll be at litchfields next week so might just get them to have a look and see what's up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody? Litchfields are gonna have a look for me anyway!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've just put the alcon big brake kit on, well, not me but the garage. The kit is 2nd hand but should still be good. Discs are used, but brand new pads.

The pads seem loose, there vibrating when driving, not causing any braking force, but sounds terrible. It's definitely the pads, just rolling forward and reverse you can hear the pads knock when brakes are applied. Anyone any ideas? I spoke to the garage quickly, the reckon the springs are a bit soft, I'll be at litchfields next week so might just get them to have a look and see what's up.
Where did you get the new pads for the BBK and what type were they? The pads are held very tightly normally are use positive locking points that would not really allow any rocking of the pad, in fact the caliper has to come off to change the pads on the front.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pads are pagids rs29s it's a rattling, I get the normal pad knock going from forward to reverse and vice versa, but I'm getting a rattle coming from the front, both sides, litchfields are havin. A look so if they figure it out I'll put up the answer!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The pads are pagids rs29s it's a rattling, I get the normal pad knock going from forward to reverse and vice versa, but I'm getting a rattle coming from the front, both sides, litchfields are havin. A look so if they figure it out I'll put up the answer!
The pad rock when changing direction (forward/backwards) is normal but not the rattle, I don't suppose you would know but the calipers need to be centralised correctly when fitted but if it is the pads then I suspect the main pad spring may have been damaged.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have exactly the same issue and have done for a while. It doesn't appear to impact performance at all but it is a tad embaressing when I drive down the road and my car sounds like a bag of spanners over every bump and pothole. I assume it's the pads knocking about as it never makes the sound if i am on the brakes. I am due for new pads soon so maybe I can get them looked at, did you have any luck discovering the issue with yours?

H

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Litchfield seem to have sorted it for me, they had the wheels off, didn't find anything untoward, but rebled the brakes and stuck the wheels back on and hey presto noise is gone! I still get the knock when gone from forward to reverse, but no longer on the move, but what you describe is exactly what I had.

I know that doesn't really answer the problem but maybe get litchfields or someone to check it out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts