GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , It's me again, the second question regards the braking system.
Now I've mounted 380mm AP J Hook discs with Endless pad and I must confess this is the best combination I've ever tried, but I feel it's time to explore new horizons as the tracks I run are killers for discs and pads and after five trackdays I need to change pads, can you imagine Monza track , the temple of speed or Imola.
Has anybody of you mounted a ceramic brakes kit?
Tks for your patience

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run the WGP kit here in the US and posted a lot on trying different pad compounds (you can even run the stock ZR1 pads).

It's a great bang for the buck if you want to go that route. I also am upgrading to the Racing Brake caliper and will post some feed back on that combo. Shawn Hayes will be running the RB caliper with steel rotors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Donbona, no, this kit doesn't require any modification, I talked with mr. Joe Allen of Alcon and he told me they offer 2 kits, the most complete and most expensive € 20.000 include discs, pads and caliper, the second kit € 12.000 is without calipers and he told me you save 5kg per wheel of rotating mass and this is impressive, but you can visit the Alcon web site for further informations:wavey::wavey:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi Donbona, no, this kit doesn't require any modification, I talked with mr. Joe Allen of Alcon and he told me they offer 2 kits, the most complete and most expensive € 20.000 include discs, pads and caliper, the second kit € 12.000 is without calipers and he told me you save 5kg per wheel of rotating mass and this is impressive, but you can visit the Alcon web site for further informations:wavey::wavey:
Thanks for the info.... that's still almost double the price of the Apex kit which is at £6300

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info.... that's still almost double the price of the Apex kit which is at £6300
I had a look at the Apex web site but, if I'm not wrong, they don't sell carbon ceramic brakes, moreover they say that Optional but Recommended is a RevoSport Active Cooling Front Diffuser in Carbon Fiber for an additional $2125 plus shipping, so alltogether is almost 9500 euro, the Alcox kit is € 12.000 so the gap is not so terrible.
As I said I've tried many brake kit but I think that the big bargain is an upgrade with carbon ceramic brakes and they're lighter that the original ones.
Take care

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the CCX brakes and they are just incredible.
Hi Blade, pls tell me more about this kit that is, how many miles did you track?
Do you need to cool them after some laps?
Did you improve your lap time since using this kit?
Fading?
Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a look at the Apex web site but, if I'm not wrong, they don't sell carbon ceramic brakes, moreover they say that Optional but Recommended is a RevoSport Active Cooling Front Diffuser in Carbon Fiber for an additional $2125 plus shipping, so alltogether is almost 9500 euro, the Alcox kit is € 12.000 so the gap is not so terrible.
As I said I've tried many brake kit but I think that the big bargain is an upgrade with carbon ceramic brakes and they're lighter that the original ones.
Take care
since the CC are a corvette ZR1 part, you order the part from GM or you can have him order it for you.

In regards to the cooling, like you know, any CC kit generates more heat as it isn't a heat sink like an iron rotor. The problem with the revozport kit is the air duct doesn't goto the center of the hub. Plus the GTR doesn't have great access in that area to duct.

Regardless if you get Alcon or the ZR1 kit, keeping the rotor/pad/caliper cool will increase pad life.

Also find out what the max operating temp of the CCX kit is. When the rotors get to hot they start to evaporate (you don't measure wear like an iron rotor by thickness but by weight change).

IF you look at the GTRheritage site, Shawnhayes had the Stillen CC rotors which are a better carbon compound than the ZR1 and burned thru them in a year. Imagine replacement cost for that yearly!

That's why I like the cheaper cost of the ZR1. I also did temp tests with rotor paint on my ZR1 CCs.

If you are just street driving or using them to brake drag racing, either kit will last a life time. IF you are a track junkie just do your homework and make sure you understand the pros and cons of each.

Also, I track pretty hard and run these most recently at COTA...which I have run on 4 occasions already

·
Registered
44 Posts
also, the Apex ZR1 kit does require machining of the stock caliper to fit the wider CC rotor...which isn't a DIYer kinda of thing.

so definitely pros and cons. I know they Apex shop can install and do the machining for you. They will even machine your stock calipers and ship them back, but that might not be cost effective for you in Europe.

If you go this route, you might want to drop Doug at WGP/Apex and see what he says. He is super helpful and can probably set you up.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hey 7racer, I've followed your informative posts on GTR Heritage with interest. Just as a matter of curiosity, what sort of maximum G do you generate on track on semi-slick tyres and the Endless W007 pads combo?

Cheers,

George

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey 7racer, I've followed your informative posts on GTR Heritage with interest. Just as a matter of curiosity, what sort of maximum G do you generate on track on semi-slick tyres and the Endless W007 pads combo?

Cheers,

George
Hey George,

sorry Monday's are my day in the operating room and was super busy today. I'll try to post up the screen shot of the friction circle from Harry's Lap Timer when I was at COTA. I think I pulled around 1.2gs?

Also, on the back straight I got up to 157-160mph before braking HARD for a 40mph left hander then having to use the hot brakes again to set the car for a quick right.

I'll try to post some of the screen shots later tonight.

That day at COTA I ran a 2:28 on R888s.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the CCX brakes and they are just incredible.
Same here..agreed,they`re fantastic..i`ve done 20,000 miles on them and no visible wear,of course i know there wo`nt be but it`s still nice to see a disc that looks as fresh as the day it was installed and will continue to do so for the next 80,000 miles.. i wonder how many sets of steel rotors i would have got through so far had i not had the ceramics..I get .5g braking with 25% pedal effort and a very controllable and linear pedal from cold..they did however take a fair while to really bed in,disc faces now have an almost polished finish.The Superkit calipers are a revelation as well.

If you find yourself in Surrey (not as interesting as Milano:)) OP then send me a message and you`re welcome to a look at my set.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hey George,

sorry Monday's are my day in the operating room and was super busy today. I'll try to post up the screen shot of the friction circle from Harry's Lap Timer when I was at COTA. I think I pulled around 1.2gs?

Also, on the back straight I got up to 157-160mph before braking HARD for a 40mph left hander then having to use the hot brakes again to set the car for a quick right.

I'll try to post some of the screen shots later tonight.

That day at COTA I ran a 2:28 on R888s.
Interesting information. I would have expected that braking G would be higher than 1.2 with this setup. Any of the Alcon CCX guys on here have comparable data?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Same here..agreed,they`re fantastic..i`ve done 20,000 miles on them and no visible wear,of course i know there wo`nt be but it`s still nice to see a disc that looks as fresh as the day it was installed and will continue to do so for the next 80,000 miles.. i wonder how many sets of steel rotors i would have got through so far had i not had the ceramics..I get .5g braking with 25% pedal effort and a very controllable and linear pedal from cold..they did however take a fair while to really bed in,disc faces now have an almost polished finish.The Superkit calipers are a revelation as well.

If you find yourself in Surrey (not as interesting as Milano:)) OP then send me a message and you`re welcome to a look at my set.
Tks but do you track with them ?Did you notice great improvemets in cornering , I mean can you break later than the standard kit, I looked at the Alcon CCX advertising and they say yes , but of course it has to be like that, they have to sell the kit.
They sell the kit with Pagid pads, are theu ok?.
Thank you for your kind invitation, the same for you if you're gonna get to Milano:):)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
zr1 rotors are made differently than the ccx rotors btw. one is a matrix (ccx) made by surface transforms, the other you can search youtube for, made by brembo. the surface transforms versions are said to deal with oxidation better. ap racing / stillen offer a different revision than alcon is running, but they are both cc matrix rotors.

all types of cc rotors would highly recommend extra cooling like 7racer suggests. .. it will save you money by reducing the wear of pads. if your not tracking you may not need any, but they may last longer if you do run extra cooling.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts