GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone had experience of Alcon discs cracking like this??

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discs look worn given the shallowness of the c shaped indents so I wouldnt be surprised to see surface temp damage.

Looks like track damage to me.

·
Vendor
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep!

abit of both track and road to be fair. on carbonetic spec r pads.. They are awesome in terms of braking power, but they do heat up the discs and wear them out pretty quick at the same time.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Yes -Had this on AP and Alcons on M3 CSL and 996 GT2 due to track-use.

You can run them a long-time like this though, it's only when the cracks get really deep you need to replace them.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you can feel the cracks with your nail, it's over... safety measures!

Measure the thickness of the discs and check the minimum thickness with Alcon.

I suggest to replace them for the next trackday!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine did that with a lot more crescent left.

That's with rs29s and no track use over about 10k miles. Litchfield said said it was time to replace when the cracks start to open up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've just raised the same issue with Litchfields myself. Am just waiting to hear back as to what Alcon suggest to do.

Pretty disappointing when the Alcons are supposed to be an improvement over the standard discs in terms of wear!!

·
Vendor
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes exactly. Rather disapponted as wasnt expecting them to crack like this especially on a vehicle which was basically built for lap times!

I've just had to order alternative AP Rotors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've only ever tracked mine once, and I wasn't even that hard on it as the gearbox temp was a constant issue as was my drive by noise so got thrown off at 2ish.

I'm hoping Alcon might throw me a bone and replace them, but highly unlikely.

I reckon mine have only done about 7-8k miles aswell

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
From my experience, it depends what brake pad compound you use, and what is important, whether bed-in procedure have been done properly.
No offence here, but I can't imagine, that Alcon can crack after short track use, if proper pads were used, and bed-in procedure done according to manufacturer suggestions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the Pagid RS29 in the front.

As for the 'Bedding In' process, Litchfields did this for me, and I have complete confidence in any work they carry out and do not believe for one second they didn't do it correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts