GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am due to collect my car after its post-import prep on Saturday from RK tuning, I thought I would start a project thread as I've already got a few bits and pieces coming for improvements and intend to slowly improve and maintain an already excellent base car.

Firstly I want to thank Newera for bringing the car over for me and providing some good advice along the way. Although it wasn't a 'normal' process in the fact that I saw this car at Global auto after I had asked Miguel to start looking for another R33 for me, the following inspection report, transport up to Chiba Prefecture, further detailed pictures and shipping were all top notch.

I've also shamelessly stolen / plan to steal some of the best ideas and mods from my favourite R33s on the forum already, so in case they're spotted I'll list those that spring to mind; Googhat, Matt J, aferx, Cliff J, Mookistar, Ian Turbo, Saifskyline, and further back of course Jae who's old car I brought and is now owned by Calibrat. I spend lots of time stalking the project threads even though I don't post much, no doubt I've missed a few, apologies if so!

Firstly, these are the Global Auto pics that drew me in:

An inspection followed arranged by Newera and the car was given a clean bill of health, bar a few cosmetic items. Some of the first pictures of the car whilst still at Global showed some light surface rust etc but general a pretty fit underside and general condition, plus some nice parts!

Plenty of history…but need a translator / language course!

So I left a deposit and the car was secured for me, released from Global and transported up to Newera. Miguel then did a complete checkover and detail, and reported a nice tight drive thanks to the various Diff and chassis upgrades.
A couple of Exterior pics:

Inside the car is not so much to my taste, firstly the dash pod is going to be the first thing to go. Then a tidy up of the various electronic gizmos, will mount the APEXi multi-checker inside the ashtray receptacle and try to move the boost controller display also.

:eek:

^^^ I like that bit :cool:

The car arrived at RK, here it is sat waiting for its registration and prep work

In the meantime, I have been trying, but failing, to avoid ordering more bits as I'm already over-budget.

More to follow!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some bits waiting for the cars arrival...

300ZX gear knob, thanks to a few on here who have done it and it looks great.

New badge (cheapest place I found was Chesapeake Nissan in the USA!)

After mulling over seat options (yes including Robson leather!) I decided that I really liked my old Cobra Misano seats, but they were a touch too wide and rubbed on the doors. So the next best thing was some 2nd hand Cobra Daytona seats picked up for £100, these are 20mm narrower but still very comfortable whilst being more supportive than the standard seats. They are now away for re-trimming locally to me in Nappa Leather and Alcantara, with red stitching to match a few of the other interior items I'm planning to fit.

Next thing of course is to actually get the car and drive it home!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some new decals for the wheels, sent by Newera FOC as a finishing touch along with my new bumper indicators

Battery charger - I intend to do the Mook mod and run a connection to an external charge point to keep the car locked up in the garage

And a de-humidifier keeping the garage at 40-45% relative humidity to minimise the chance of any rust until (and after) Zealous get the car in the winter to thoroughly check and protect it. It's unbelieveable the amount of water it pulls out of the air! About 1 full litre a day, especially when the Mrs has the drier on the other side of the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My attempt at a spec list, taken from the translated Japanese original advert text.

Happy to hear of opinions on any holes / weak spots - I'm toying with a Link G4 for piece of mind as the original mappers are obviously not very accessible!

Engine
RS Yamamoto engine package (Valve polishing, head surface machining, possible additional head work TBC)
JUN IN / EX 264° 9.7mm lift Cam Shafts
JUN slide cam sprockets
HKS GT-SS sport turbine kit
HKS strengthened actuators
TOMEI turbo outlet pipe
TOMEI strengthened timing belt
TOMEI combination metal gasket set
TOMEI OIL pan baffle plate
NISMO OIL separator
Nissan BNR34 surge tank
Nissan BNR34 Engine mounts
Nissan BNR34 Cam Cover

Controller & CPU
HKS EVC4 boost controller
RS Yamamoto Re-mapped ECU for current car settings

Intake & exhaust
BLITZ SUS power cleaner
HKS intercooler pipe kit
HKS SUS front pipe
WEDS sport catalyzer
HKS high power exhaust
Intake suction pipe partition plate modification

Fuel
Nissan BNR34 fuel pump
NISMO 555cc fuel injector
NISMO fuel El regulator
Nissan genuine fuel line replacement

Cooling
NISMO 400R genuine intercooler
HKS oil cooler Kit
KOYO copper 3-layer type radiator
SAMCO silicon radiator hoses
TRUST carbon Kevlar cooling panel

Drivetrain & chassis
OS Giken TS2BD metal twin plate clutch
CUSCO TYPE-RS Rear LSD
OHLINS DFV harmonic drive Kit
CUSCO Pillow-ball front tension rods
CUSCO tension rod bar (+ brake the wind plate – not sure what this means?!!)
ARC F & R anti-roll bar set
KTS rigid rear member spacers
NISMO Rear Lower arms
NISMO upper link arms
NISMO Front & Rear stabilizer bushes
HKS Kansai service Fr Tower Bar
Do-Luck rear crossbar

Braking
BREMBO Group A Front callipers (F50 kit)
Global Auto V36 rotor diversion Kit
NISMO stainless steel brake lines
MOVE brake master cylinder stopper

Exterior
RAYS 19 x 9 ½ J TE37 Wheels
NISMO front bumper (carbon N1 ducts)
NISMO rear bumper
NISMO carbon style B pillar covers
NISMO clear front indicators
NISMO clear side indicators
N1 Bonnet lip
TOMMY KAIRA side skirts
Global Auto 400R type over fenders
Nissan BCNR33 Series 3 large front lip spoiler
OKUYAMA front & rear tow hooks
WISE SQUARE LED tail lamps

Interior & Instruments
Defi ADVANCE CR Gauges (boost oil temperature and oil pressure, water temperature)
NISMO centre console gauges
APEXi Multi Checker
PIVOT Auto Shift LAMP-M
Nissan BNR34 V-SPEC2 genuine pedals & footrest
LED interior lighting
PIVOT push button engine start
PANASONIC CD / MD Head Unit

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were right, I haven't!

Yes the dash screen will be coming off very quickly, it's actually a Sat Nav screen I think.

Embarrassingly I have to drive home with it still attached! Then got to see what's the damage underneath before deciding what to do next.

Anyway off to the train station.....:clap:

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
Good to see you today, and no worries on the 34 pick up from the station ;-)

no doubt your half way up north by now.

Enjoy! car looked awesome on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the car is now home :)

Few things noticed on the way was that the tyres / set-up is not great in wet weather. The car had little bum waggle when I put my foot down on a mild radius bend on the M6, I eased off gently and it got back in line but my old car wouldn't have done this in same conditions so can only blame the tyres at the mo. Nice at 70ish mph with lots of traffic around! Also noticed some low-speed understeer / mild sliding on greasy roundabouts. Tyres are only 245/35 as well which is not as wide / low profile as some run on 9.5" rims.

The exhaust had melted the bumper at some point and had a pretty crap looking repair - something I knew about from the pre and post purchase inspections of the car but a real annoyance up-close, along with the horrible carbon plate with pop rivets through that Nismo bumper :mad: The exhaust tip itself looks a bit worse for wear also. Will put this high on the to-do list.

Gave it a quick wash and took some other pics:

Now tucked up in the garage - its a great feeling walking in a seeing it there now, been waiting a long time!

Note the nice pressie from my Mrs :cool:

Next jobs - Full wheels-off detail next week with spray-on protection of the underside to cover the summer, (hoping to have some Zealous TLC in the winter).

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Got to say Alex, you have a lovely R33 there.

Can't recommend Bob enough, my car practically lives there and he takes good care of it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Looks like the car has found a rather nice home.

You could probably run upto a 275 width tyre on that wheel if you wished..

Enjoy! Car looks great.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Very nice buy Alex, welcome to the R33 club! The 400R kit all rounds looks really good, although you need to get some 400R skirts to complete the 400R style!

A really clean base indeed, first thing you should do before any mods is to fully protect the underside. I would recommend Epoxy Mastic for the job! Check my build thread for what I did and used to protect mine from the winter elements.

Take care of it :)!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a welcome back to the club :) I should never have left really but a lot of things have happened in between.

Hopeful that the car will get some zealous treatment late in the year, until then it won't be out in the wet and I'll use some light spray anti-rust like corrosion-x

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Car looks lovely there Alex. Glad it's home with you at last. :)

Got your new Momo SRS steering wheel which will be on it's way soon too. Unfortunately as it's technically an explosive, it has to go via surface!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Miguel.

Wheel should be a nice addition, this one looked in top condition with still bright stitching and minimal wear. Was a bit pricy but worth it imo, OEM+ and all that:chuckle:

1 - 20 of 212 Posts