GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

All these different electronic devices and the such are all new to me and I get very confused reading about them here on the forum. There are so many of them, all with different areas of operating.

It seems to me that if I start tuning my car and want full control of everything that is going on, I need to buy about 5 different devices for I don't know how many £...

-Turbo Timers
-Boost Controllers
-Fuel Computers
-Valve Controllers
-Etc, etc

So, my question is, aren't there any all-in-one devices out there I could install that would let me control everything with one unit? I am of course referring to Skylines :)

Thanks in advance!

Reg
B

·
Registered
326 Posts
If any one is into electronics, there is your gap in the market to make millions, invent an all in one device to control everything. As long as every one on the forum gts a discount.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Errrrrrrrr

Paul.GTR34 said:
Don't think so geez...............
How can I learn anything if I don't ask? Read my 2nd line again... No need to be condescending :(

I received the following answer from another forum:

The Apexi Power FC has a nice hand unit that can control most things that you want. It also displays eight different sensors at the one time out of a possible ten depending on setup.

1. Injection Duty
2. Ignition Timing
3. Air Flow
4. Engine Revs
5. Speed
6. Boost
7. Knock
8. Water Temp
9. Air Temp
10. Battery Voltage

It won't control the turbo timer though. That's independant of the ECU.
Seems pretty All-In-One to me.

Reg
B

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is one, its called a Haltech E6K.
Don't know if the Apexi Power FC with the pendent controller does all of those things too.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Base.

It was not inteded to be putting you down , hence my comment 'EErrrrrr ,I don't think so '. It was MY personal view if there was or wasn't.

When I read your question I immediately thought of all those items you mentioned combined in one unit to do ALL the functions you mentioned . Hence my reply.

I have an Apexi Power FC on my car BUT still have a boost controller....So as to the comment about the Apexi doing all the functions you want I don't know for I'm an owner of a car that has it not a mechanic.

Maybe you should ask a mechanic .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul:

Misinterpretations happens easily when it comes to boards like this, especially when there is a slight language barrier as well. No harm done :) I didn't mean the unit should be able to control literally "everything", more like "as much as possible".

So what you are saying is that you have Apexi Power FC installed in your car but never fiddle with it yourself so you can't really say how it works exactly?

Horatio:

I'll look into that one, thx!

Reg
B

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yes

Something like that Base.

My car is highly tuned and I personally believe something like engine management should be left to the experts for ,or so I've been told ,there arte many pit falls for your average person to 'fall' in and cause some damage or not achieve the max power !

I personally haven't a clue so I don't/won't bother.I don't know as to your abilities but are you an EXPERT ?
The Apexi FC is apparantly the ONE to have for it is 'relativel' easy to tune unlike the Haltech, but as I've said earlier these are MY personal views from my limited expeirence and listening to more qualified person discussing them . ;)

E-Mail /phone tuners from the links section for futher info .

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Highly Tuned

What have you have it de-tuned in the past 6 months then Paul ;) :D .

glen

ps. At least we agree on something. I dont know how the PowerFC works either :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
All-In-One contollers hard to find..

Basse,

The APEXi PowerFC is NOT an all-in-one electronics controller as you well know. It is for general engine management (fuel-maps, rev-limit etc. etc..) and can be extended with a "basic" APEXi Boost Controller (with limited programmability).
Other makes of Boost controllers have a much more sophisticated control modes. (- anyway the ones that are of any interest.. I.M.H.O.)
I use a mechanical device in conjunction with my Power FC that gives a much more stable boost level than a expensive APEXi Boost control unit, at a fraction of the cost..)

TurboTimers require input to work with immobilizer/car-alarm & similar, after that the normal power supply from ignition cirquits is "absent", therefore they are mostly "independent" of ECU:s.

If you by Valve Controllers refer to Inlet & Exhaust valves you must have missed the fact that there is no variable valve timing on the RB26DETT engine. (Perhaps available on other Skyline engine types, but I don´t know much about these others..)

Regarding the fiddling with the Power FC I can only say that once appropriate mapped, there is NO need to change anything.. Once properly set, you just drive the car and forget all settings hassle.. perhaps needed with other less sophisticated ECU add-ons.
- Note: A massive recuction of the Rev-limit is the only thing needed if you lend the car to your mother..
:D

Regards
Lars B.

E-posta gärna mig om vadsomhelst.. (Sorry for the Swedish, guys..)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Highly tuned?

Just seen this courtousy of Gren San, Highly Tuned? if you cars highly tuned then I could probably say the same about my petrol lawnmower, that runs on optimax too but doesnt have a Power FC fitted ( yet) :p

Highly tuned - i pity the fool, i pity the fool, hannibal

Dirk:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Basse
As far as all-in-one electronics is concerned, it means providing adjustability of various parameters of what the ECU controls. The extent of what these parameters are will vary from one make vehicle to another. In the case of the GT-R, its everything including boost. I have yet to see a factory car that is equipped with a turbo timer as and OEM option, which is why after owning turbo cars for the past 20 years, I have never installed one on any of my cars.
To get to the point of the all-in-one, if you must have adjustability, the Power FC has the ability to adjust the boost level by using the Pendant Programmer which stores easily in the car. It can also give you adjustability to fuel curves based on % increase or decrease in fuel injector size. Ignition timing can be adjusted also.
The Haltech E6K will do all these things inclusive of Turbo Timer plus a host of other things that can be customised. You need to have a laptop to quickly and easily do this however.
The question I would like to ask is, apart from adjusting the lock down time of the engine with a turbo timer, and the power output with a boost controller, why would anyone want to adjust anything else on a car, much more a super car like the GT-R whci cost mega buck to repair if you get it wrong? Allowing adjustability of fuel and ignition timing parameter is like giving a baby a grenade to play with, honestly. You don't want to be playing with these things. Get a ecu upgrade that works with mods proven, or get an experienced person to map your ecu with your chosen mods.
As far as the argument of which is easier, the Power FC or the Haltech E6K, well, the Power FC cannot control the things the E6K will without access to the Lap Top version of the programme. You simply cannot access some of the critical correction maps that the FC has. And as far as I know, unless you speake Joponesee, you no get no progrome frome el Joponeseo :) . To be serious, they won't give the software to anyone outside of their Japanese dealership network. The stupid Aussies however (just kidding my Aussie friends) have given all and sundry control over everything with the E6K. Now, for an experienced tuner like myself or my NZ mate Brennan Chapman, thats like receiving manner from heaven. All others keep away, you can do untold harm to your engine. Leave it to the pros.

Horatio

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try this...

Hi guys!

I know nothing about engine management but I was checking out some supra and px-7 forums where all the guys are hyped about this new replacement ecu; it's pc-programmable and apparently replaces ALL electronic add-ons because it can do everything the original ecu does, plus it's programmable, plus many other things as well....

Check it out, it might be interesting...:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice ECU (AEM), pity they don't have plug and play for the GT-R.

Link out of Australia does however have plug and play and is well supported by AVO an avid GT-R tuner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts