GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice really as I'm only just starting to work on my R32 GTR and don't want to mess things up as certainly a lot more costly to fix than my mx5 or civic lol.

I've managed to pick up a brand new Mishimoto Alloy Radiator along with the shroud and fans for not a lot of money but could just use a bit of advice on how to fit it. I have read my service manual but the description and images of the fan removal is very vague, how does it come off from the engine? Does it simply just pull off or do I need to remove anything? Also where is the best place to wire my fans too that is preferably near the radiator?

And finally, is there any particular coolant I need, pretty sure they're all the same but thought it best to ask :)

Also picked up some new hosing and brackets so hoping all goes in well.

Thanks in advance for any help given, I really want to do as much as the work to the car myself as I have done in previous builds but just a bit hesitant to start due to the cost of parts and repairs on a GTR, bit out of my depth atm to be honest :)

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
It's pretty easy mate, there is four 10mm nuts on the fan, and then it just pulls forward a little to clear the studs.
It's easier to pull the fan away from the studs and then pull the radiator out with the fan just sitting in the shroud.
The rad it just held in by the two straps on the top, it has rubber slot in bushes on the bottom so it just pulls right out upwards.
If you are putting in a new rad that has electric fans, make sure you put the 10mm nuts back on the pulley or it will fall off!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You can wire the new fans to a automatic thermostat which you can buy off ebay and set a temperature for when you want them to come on, or you could have them wired so that they are on constant when the engine turns on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, really do appreciate it :) I couldn't see the bolts on the diagrams I was looking at, makes things seem a lot easier now, feel a lot better about doing it, the fan was worrying me :)

Will have a look into those automatic thermostats, didn't realise they were available :) I may wire them as permanent usage for now

Thanks once again

Mike

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, really do appreciate it :) I couldn't see the bolts on the diagrams I was looking at, makes things seem a lot easier now, feel a lot better about doing it, the fan was worrying me :)

Will have a look into those automatic thermostats, didn't realise they were available :) I may wire them as permanent usage for now

Thanks once again

Mike
Another way of doing it is wire them to a switch so you have control over them! But the thermostat/constant is a good way.

Good luck with it, I will be ditching the viscous fan in future too.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Depending on the ECU you have, you could have the fans triggered by it using the water temp feed. Removes the need for a separate thermostat and other nonsense.

Thats the way I'm doing mine...

TT

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have stock ECU fitted but hoping to get an Apexi in next month or two so will look into that when I get it :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I currently have stock ECU fitted but hoping to get an Apexi in next month or two so will look into that when I get it :)

Mike
A Power FC wont support that. Look into a Link or Syvecs if you have the money.

I have a Link G4 and its awesome. My car runs amazingly, it only has a base map that my tuner sent me currently. It actually drives better than when i was on twins (now single).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.