GTR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it looks like I've killed something in my alternator/water pump belt mishap last night - the belt is back on and the pulleys are spinning, but I'm getting nothing from the alternator - running on battery only.

But I'm reflecting back on the past several months and in particular, a messy oil change which I think got some oil into the alternator. Anyways, the car, when starting, would take about 5-10 seconds to build up full running voltage. Would that be a sign of an alternator slowly dying?

I'm going to have the alternator taken off and inspected tomorrow. I'm rather irritated because I've gotten used to my car being actually drivable whenever I want. Whatever got buggered up is likely in some way linked to my swap of the viscous fan clutch last night - all would have gone well if it weren't for my "test" of the engine without the fan...and failing to bolt in the water pump pulley, which the car promptly spat out onto the floor.

Any chance I might have done something to the water pump as well? At least the fan seems to be back up to speed - I couldn't really feel any difference in resistance between my old clutch and the new one, other than the new one being smooth while the old one seemed to feel a bit "crunchy" when turning it in my hands - the car in traffic hits 68 degrees water temp and stays there if the A/C is off.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
na i recon you will just have stuffed the altinator bye the sounds of it, try a few tests before you haul it out, very simple to do and this will confirm if the altinator is blown
if you have a multimetre and amps clamp it will only take about 20 mins

tell you what, drop me a p.m and ill give you a call and talk you through it if you like?

alex

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've ordered a new one (160 amp, for Nissan Maxima/Infiniti I30, same type I've got now). The alternator is intermittent - comes on, then drops off (I have a voltage meter on my dash, I can watch it bob up and down :p). Mostly off though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts