GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to buy a secondhand GTR, the car of my dreams. I'm retired, no financial commitments, etc. but to do it would substantially wipe out half of my savings, not to mention the running costs. Not to mention that there is zero enthusiasm from the oh.

My head says you're crazy. You live in an area surrounded by Nissan Micras driving slowly. Your friends collect butterflies and watch birds. And you only drive 6-8k miles a year.

My heart says. Time is running out.

Convince me or otherwise. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Buy it, you get one go at life.

Plus the friends you will make at events, meeting other car enthusiasts who are as mad as you for spraying Shell profits out of your new after market exhaust add to the fun......

·
Registered
386 Posts
have you drove one yet!!!!!!!!!!if not once you do it will answer all your questions:p

I am looking for my third one very soon!!!!its like a drug ,just gets you hooked!!!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you got a good one for around the 40 45k mark and kept it for a year, putting 6 to 8k on the clock won't hurt the value and if you ain't happy with it flog and get most your money back.

This is what I did..... Then I bought a second one after seeing the error of my ways:clap:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Do it! You can always sell it again. Buy one with good brakes and tyres and you could keep it a couple of years and all it would cost you is fuel and a service. Older models are holding their value quite well so it probably wont be as an expensive proposition as you might think.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If its going to make you happy then go for it you only live once you will not regret it aslong as you can afford it. I spent every penny i had to buy my GTR and have had to save up from scratch but hell yes it was worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I don't think you're going to get a unbiased opinion on here mate!

But i say go for it. Awesome cars and you only live once. I could be doing something much more sensible with my money but fu*k it. It's fun! Modding is like a drug though and once hooked you ain't getting clean again :p

Seriously though if you buy sensibly you can pick up a low mileage well looked after example and you probably wouldn't lose too much on it further down the line as long as you looked after it. Have a browse around the forum and check up on the running costs as they will make your eyes water compared to more normal cars. Just make sure you know what you're getting in to :thumbsup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Honestly not trying to put a dampener on things but to wipe out half of all you have saved? I agree life is there to enjoy and as you said you are retired and have worked all of your life and you deserve a treat but it's whether this treat might be just a little too much? If nothing else in your life gets affected, i.e.: the OH and what other plans you might have, go for it but go for it with your eyes wide open. As others have said though you can get out with relatively minimal depreciation if you need to. Good luck with a tough decision.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The other compromise is to consider if you would be better off hiring one for those odd occasions you feel the need.

The comments are valid about minimal depreciation if doing low miles, but when its taking half your savings, that's a big bite for something which sounds like it won't be driven that much.

Of course, once you have driven one you might decide its now mandatory!

Other option is to get a good Skyline GTR for a lot less purchase price, but similar operating costs!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
50% of your savings in a depreciating asset is pretty crazy, but then again full throttle in a GTR is pretty crazy!

·
R35 Section manager
10,922 Posts
Sod it buy the car! I'm broke but I am happy.
There is no point being the richest man in the grave yard

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Don't do it.

Test drive them now and again but don't do it.

Dreaming is more fun than owning, particularly if wiping out half your savings meas you are less likely to sleep a night.

It's a deprivation liability with running costs of thousands a year.

You don't know what the future holds and what you might heed the money for. Personally, I'd rather have the peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
As has been said, it would be a fair chunk of your pension pot, but if you already have the basics for a comfortable retirement then why not? If you don't and you splash out on fun item like the GTR then you may run the risk of being called reckless.
But then shrouds don't have pockets do they .......?

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
You only live once can be used as an excuse to make all kinds of stupid choices.

You need to consider your lifestyle and maybe write up a bucket list. If you want to have fun in retirement, there's far more fun cars to be had for much less money.

You ave the time to enjoy what you buy due to retirement. You could spend days tearing up the countryside or doing endless track days.

If I were you, I'd test drive a caterham and see hw that makes you feel. You can buy one that below 60 will stay with a gtr but will kill it in the corners. They also don't depreciate, ther road ax is piddly and they cost nothing in fuel and tyres by comparison.

£ for £ they are much more fun, but since you are buying it purely as a fun extravagance you don't need to worry about the lack of practicality.

The biggest issue for me is that you've built up the gtr. Once you get it the anticipation is over and the excitement nothing like as great. I keep my fun levels up by continually modifying for you to do the same will be pouring money down the drain with no means of replacing it.

I use ths argument when trying to justify a bigger house, and that's an appreciating commodity! It comes down to be able o sleep at night and not worry about the future. That to me, is priceless.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I personally would not do it if its half your pension pot.

They are great cars but can be expensive to maintain. Have you thought about getting a older M3 or something for around 10k that could be used as a daily drive and that's also very fun.

I think there's a write up on Pistonheads about them at present.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
They depreciate far too quickly to even consider spending money from you pention pot on IMHO. Plus if anything was to happen and you needed to get out of the car quickly (I mean sell) then you can expect to have your pants taken down by dealers or sit waiting until the right buyer comes along. Personally, I wouldn't even consider it; just rent one a couple of times a year if you really need to scratch the itch, the novelty soon wears off as I'm now finding having owned mine since Feb.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts