Votes: 58 87.9%
  • Hire Car, properly a peugeot 206 or 307

Votes: 8 12.1%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can point me in the right direction, I have a driving holiday booked next month driving through France right down to the south, At first i thought Yes i am taking my R32 GTR, but since getting a quote of my insurance for my Partner to drive too, i am not sure. So been looking at hireing a car, But that is still looking into £350+. The choices are Get a hire car, Or me just drive my Skyline, How much fuel would i save driving hire car?

Plus if i drive the Skyline i will be worrying where i park it too,

Has anyone got a better idea?

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
The hire car would probably save you loads on fuel and the constant worry that somethings gonna break (!). However, once you get about 5 miles from home you'll find a stretch of road thats ripe for spirited driving and wish you had taken the Skyline. I occasionally drive the missus M3 and on a cracking peice of raod often wonder why I'm not in the GTR :mad: :mad: .

Take the Skyline mate. Its what you bought it for :p

TT

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Well, you said yourself that its a "driving holiday" so I know what car i'd want to be driving.

Sure there is always the worry of where to park/security etc, but I don't think the risks would be any higher than touring around the UK. If you're going to spend a lot of time behind the wheel you might as well do it in a car you really enjoy driving!

my 2 yens worth :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've done this to many times to know IF you leave "your" car home... you'll hate yourself DURING and after the trip for so many reasons…

1 roads you've never driven on
2 People not seeing you with your "best" car on
3 Pictures of the country side with your GTR
4 The great stories you'll have about the round trip

However…

If your car has a ridiculously loud exhaust and a stupendously stiff suspension, and no AC….or racing seats…. You’d be crazy NOT to rent a car, because an overly modified car is no fun for long…long hours on the road….

Drive conservative and safe and.... bring a tool box, repair manual and a cell phone....

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
brett21 said:
Hope someone can point me in the right direction, I have a driving holiday booked next month driving through France right down to the south, At first i thought Yes i am taking my R32 GTR, but since getting a quote of my insurance for my Partner to drive too, i am not sure. So been looking at hireing a car, But that is still looking into £350+. The choices are Get a hire car, Or me just drive my Skyline, How much fuel would i save driving hire car?

Plus if i drive the Skyline i will be worrying where i park it too,

Has anyone got a better idea?
So why have a Skyline if you are not going to drive it.
Silly question if you ask me. Might as well sell it and get a 1.1 or something.
Very silly.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Its for sure intelligent to get a hire car,you save fuel,your dont need to worry if something breaks,you have a very comfortable ride etc..........
but on the other side,get the skyline and make your holidays unforgetable:clap: :bowdown1:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
take it, take it!!!
lol, u'll get all the french kidz looking at you & dreaming it's their car lol
but, be careful when driving on the motorway or anywhere, cops are really picky now about speed limit, loads of ppl get fine even for 1km/h above the speed limit (that's freaking mad)
also petrol might be expensive on top of the motorway toll (as you'll go down south to france) & if you have a proper place to park your car, it should be fine, also I don't see the point of them stealing a skyline as 1st it's a RHD car & 2nd they can't be registered in France

I'll take my future R33 GTS to the Paris suburb next month when the Princess & I will go back home to see our family

anyway have fun if u take it!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Defo take the Skyline m8 - they're even more unusual in France, so you'll get a lot of +ve attention too :D

Just make sure the air-con is working ;)

Rog

·
Registered
597 Posts
This poll should read am I mad not wanting to drive my skiyline to france!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Like I have said many a time the south of France makes for some fantastic driving.
Its not as good as it used to be with an increased Police presence and higher inflation (cheap food and petrol once made it heaven) but it is still damn good.

If your cars in good health I would say go for it, it will be a great experience and you WILL kick yourself on some of the roads if your in a hire car.
Personally I love it and I think grand touring is what the Skyline is fantastic at, I do it every year and will carry on doing so. Speeding wise, just be 'aware' every time I saw a speed trap I had an instinct before it, most of the roads are straight and clear, a speed trap hide out is usually easily spotted but to be fair I only spotted 2 and that was during Le Mans week.

Pointing out the obvious, get European Breakdown and give your car (or get a tuner) to give your car a thorough once over before going.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Totally agree with ****, why have a Skyline if your not going to drive.
They have some beautiful roads in France.
You should have another poll option "why am i asking this question"

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers for the opinions, I wouldnt be asking the question, BUT its because i am taking the MRS, My insurance wont insure her, Well if i pay £1600 they will!!! Sod that. Plus i have a brand new set of 18in Rotas on, Girls and kerbs dont get on. If i get caught speeding & banned i will be knackered.
I have driven in France alot, but i have been with the Boys, 1 they were insured for my car, 2 there was more than 3 cars, so easyer to spot Police.
I got caught 2 years ago doing 257kph, got banned for 14 days. Luckly my mate could drive my car.
I brought the Skyline to just this, I am going to the THE RING next year, & any events this forum sort out,

Just been quoted £211 for a Mk5 Golf 1.9dt. Thats not bad.

I am going to think about it til Friday, mmm mmmm

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
brett21 said:
Plus i have a brand new set of 18in Rotas on, Girls and kerbs dont get on.
yeah, my 1 year old (which looks like 4 yo now) 17" buddy club p1 racing sf rims will totally agree with you :rolleyes:

one thing to know about the radar on french road (gatso type) they photograph the car from the front & not the back (like in the uk) so once you've seen one it's too late, you've been "shot"
the french motorway gendarmes, have got a few scoobies now (good change to their french crappy cops cars) to play with, so you'll find them driving & crashing :rolleyes: them lol on the motorway as well :squintdan

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
first off...

you gotta decide which is more dear to you.. .the missus or the skyline, and how would she (wife) find the ride.

You can have a GTR which gives you driving pleasure, but to go throuugh that with a constant whining and nagging noise coming from the passenger seat is worse than hearing an irritating mechanical noise under the bonnet for the full duration of your trip.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
235 Posts
right you must take the gtr the toll roads are amasing fun. as for insurance is she insured to drive another car? if so can she drive another car with third party cover? thats how i got around it on cannonball. plus just keep your wits up and don't get caught!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts