GTR Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Unfortunately in America that is not the case. It’s a throw away society, much more different than Europe or other parts of the world. Anything past 8 years old is considered as “old.”
Then why are r32s and r33 gtrs being exported to USA then ?

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
Does that mean a Peugeot 406, Nissan Skyline R34, and BMW E39 considered modern?
Yes, yes it does. How many airbags does it have, what about Catalytic convertors, Crumple zones? Will definitely have heavy duty door bars.
Not only that but the E39 BMW ceased production in 2004 and your car wasn't made until 5 years later.

There is a very distinct divide between "modern" cars and old cars. 205GTi, Sierra Cosworth, Lancia Integrale, Golf GTi etc etc. If the argument is modern cars are "boring and soft" then this is the ERA to compare against and yes, I am sure they are great fun, but they also have a lot of rose tinted nostalgia.
Again, there's a large number of R35 GTR's on this forum, older than your own car. They are by very definition a "boring, souless modern car" but just look at the passion they inspire.
My Passat Estate, family car, a modern, boring, family car. Heavy, lots of protection, semi-auto box.... benefits from years of chassis refinement and modern motoring developments. I'm a decent driver and can have 80% as much fun in that as I used my Skyline because it's not WHAT you drive, it's how you drive.

Modern cars aren't for everyone, they clearly aren't for you, (bar your own one) but they ARE better. Saying otherwise doesn't make it true. Much like saying the Earth is flat and supporting it only with Facts that support the argument doesn't make it true either.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
I've only just noticed your own car is 11 years old, by your argument your own car is to heavy and full of technology as a 2009 car !

You want something like my cosworth 1988 710 hp currently, 1205 kg car, lightweight, big power, rwd and no driver aids, your own car doesn't even fit your analogy of what your saying is a great car

My RS6 is only a 2014 car which is not much newer than yours, so your own car is a modern shitbox then is that what your saying ?
I'm not saying my car is a great car. My car, at least in America, is considered a dinosaur by their standards. Same with the Zs. It's actually pretty light and small compared to today's standards. I think you're missing the point of what I am trying to say with this thread with different definitions. I'm saying newer cars are crap (ie. early 2010s and above) where they started adding too much garbage into them like touch screens, carplay, buttload of nannies, self closing trunks, etc. I even stated it in the first few pages of this thread when I said the last good car was the 2013 Lamborghini Gallardo Balboni since it barely has any of the electronics or junk the new cars have. Think of it like this how I am comparing the old vs the new. The Porsche 997 was the last good generation of Porsche (2008 was the last good year). The 991 is awfully shaped, massive, with too much electronics. When did the 991 come out? Early 2010s. Or the Nissan Skyline V36 (Infiniti G35/G37) vs the Infiniti Q50. The Q50 has a ton of electronics and nannies compared to the older generation which started back in 2006. Now why has no one answered my question on why many car reviewers are disappearing? I guess I'll answer: Because the newer cars are not drivers cars.

Then why are r32s and r33 gtrs being exported to USA then ?
US never got them, huge following was created by fast and furious films, and it's normal global trade. A lot of Infiniti G's are being exported to Europe, Africa, and Japan as well mainly due to some never getting them or having limited Infiniti style badges (with leather, VQ37, convertibles, etc). Don't know what this has to do with anything, America is still a throw away society.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yes, yes it does. How many airbags does it have, what about Catalytic convertors, Crumple zones? Will definitely have heavy duty door bars.
Not only that but the E39 BMW ceased production in 2004 and your car wasn't made until 5 years later.

There is a very distinct divide between "modern" cars and old cars. 205GTi, Sierra Cosworth, Lancia Integrale, Golf GTi etc etc. If the argument is modern cars are "boring and soft" then this is the ERA to compare against and yes, I am sure they are great fun, but they also have a lot of rose tinted nostalgia.
Again, there's a large number of R35 GTR's on this forum, older than your own car. They are by very definition a "boring, souless modern car" but just look at the passion they inspire.
My Passat Estate, family car, a modern, boring, family car. Heavy, lots of protection, semi-auto box.... benefits from years of chassis refinement and modern motoring developments. I'm a decent driver and can have 80% as much fun in that as I used my Skyline because it's not WHAT you drive, it's how you drive.

Modern cars aren't for everyone, they clearly aren't for you, (bar your own one) but they ARE better. Saying otherwise doesn't make it true. Much like saying the Earth is flat and supporting it only with Facts that support the argument doesn't make it true either.
You're missing the point. I'm not talking about modern. I'm talking about new cars. I like a lot of modern cars (BMW E34/E38/E39/E46, Z34, Silvias, etc) and even posted on here how the newer BMWs are garbage compared to the golden era. I just don't like the newer cars, stuff that was made after 2010 with too much gadgets. Granted there might be some cars that were created after those years (Nissan Fugo, Patrol, etc.) but those are exceptions to the rule since they are considered dinosaurs with their technology by car "reviewers" and critics.

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
By gadgets do not automatically
make a car bad. it’s youopinion. It’s fine. i personally love gadgets and anything that makes a car more comfortable capable and competent wins in my book.

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
Now why has no one answered my question on why many car reviewers are disappearing? I guess I'll answer: Because the newer cars are not drivers cars.
because print is dead and the rise of modern social means producing content costs next to nothing and audiences are spread much thinner. Quite simply there isn’t enough money in reviewing cars except for a few highly regarded roadtesters.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
because print is dead and the rise of modern social means producing content costs next to nothing and audiences are spread much thinner. Quite simply there isn’t enough money in reviewing cars except for a few highly regarded roadtesters.
Is that why Jezza and his crew stopped reviewing cars? If I recall, season 3 was probably their best season mainly because the reviews on older cars were more interesting. New cars all the same nowadays, not like they were 10 years ago. I don’t go to annual auto shows mainly because the newer cars are nothing I’d want to own. Last good year at the auto show was 2013, after that it went downhill with too much junk and no manual models. Politics has to do with this and I believe the millennial generation as well.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Gotta say, I'm not a massive fan of new cars - there isn't anything out there from mainstream manufacturers that makes me want to go and buy one (even the car ads are crap, don't really show the cars do they?? I like the rawness of older cars, the smaller size, more driver involvement, can actually fix things without having to replace whole parts of the car. I have a mix of cars, old and new(ish). Funny thing is a friend of mine gave me a lecture about how the R35 is all computers, that the car does all the work and the screen is just gimmicky. He's never driven one, just sat in one. He loves his BMW M4 you see. You know, the one with idrive or whatever its called these days, endless menus of crap to choose from in the car settings, crappy exhaust sounds synthesised through the speakers, "woofle" exhausts with crap pop, pop, pop noises. Takes him ages to set it up for best launch......…..I'm bored already. Better than his old M3 he says, so much more involving...…….hmmm. I guess we all just like different things, each to their own and all that.....

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
All went downhill due electric cars. And post 2010 cars are more likely to be scrapped within 8years. Certainly with Electric cars.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Car manufacturers have become soft. We're left with big, lazy, fat turds that only have the get up and go because the electronics does most of the work for them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when the sole thing that makes it fast is because of it you know how many electronic gremlins will pop up as opposed to the early 2000s and 90s exquisite blend of not too many electronics.

On the topic of Astons, I cannot understand how Richard Hammond thought it was a good looking car? Are they paid by Aston/Mercedes or is it because they want to be proud of their British brand, erm I mean German brand now?

Look at this magnificent 2004 Aston Martin DB9. It was perfect the way it was. The perfect combination of sportiness and class. You will feel like a James Bond driving this car.

Or this beautiful 2006 Aston Martin Vantage with a V8.

And then we get these big turds, that is powered by Mercedes (Already a bad idea to begin with). It looks absolutely revolting. I do not see the appeal of the new ones. They seem to only have big show brakes, which probably will never be used on a track. Unbelievable ugly. Did the designers go to Cancun and took examples from a whale shark? And what is up with the black coloring of roofs they do now?

And the interior is even worse. I know why Jeremy Clarkson says the interior's center console looks like a woman's vagina. Bloody Nora, it looks like an overly stretched one

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

A neighbor a few blocks down was cleaning his Corvette C8. Seeing it in person just made me realize how ugly it looks. And it comes with automatic only? DCT is automatic, I don't care for technical terms. But my god, it looks awful. I would much rather take a Corvette C6 instead since it was the last true Corvette. The C7 steering feels like garbage from my experience, since it has electric power steering so I wouldn't be surprised with the C8 feeling almost identical.

This C6 is a beast! When you see it rolling, you always think of old school America muscle.

And the C8 looks like a bland generic garbage. Fake vents, weird shapes, and the front looks like an Acura RSX with a bit of new Camry.

I would take the C6 in a heart beat if I was presented both of them.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts