GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have posted here before and exchanged messages with couple of you already, but I figure it would be nice to post a formal self introduction so I can meet all of you.

I am a 25 year old Chinese guy currently living in Southern California, USA. I was born and rise in Hong Kong and moved to San Diego 12 years ago. I am addicted with Japanese automobile ever since I was 13, the first car I fell in love with was the 1989 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, then the R32 GTR came out, and I just knew GTR is the love of my life. After years of saving my money, I finally able to afford a GTR of my own. I ordered a brand new R34 GTR V-spec II this past February, I don't have the car yet, it is still going throught the time consuming US government certification process. Hopefully I can have it soon.

Since I am a new GTR owner, all my knowledge of GTR are all from reading magazines, watching videos and reading off the web. Hopefully you guys can help me out with all the questions I am going to have with the car.

Currently I have a FWD 1987 Toyota Celica 2.0 GT (ST162) that I modified with every components TRD offer and a fairly stock 1986 Nissan 720 pick-up truck. I plan to keep both vehicles as extra cars.

I wish I live in UK, NZ or Japan where there are a lot more GTR lover to hang out with, since there are only 50+ GTRs in the US so far, and only 6 R34!!

Lastly, thank you very much for all the kind words and support from all of you regarding the unfortunate tragedy that happened in New York and Washington DC on Sept. 11. But we will survive this, terrorist can never hurt us.

There were a few messages people sent me from here that I never had the time to reply, I am very sorry. I was very busy and now the thread is gone =(

Let me post a couple pictures of my GTR here for all to see.

It is my great pleasure to meet you all!!

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To everyone living in Japan

hi all,

I am spending a week in Tokyo in the beginning of November from the 1st to the 9th, mainly to attend the Honda NSX fiesta in Suzuka and the Tokyo Auto show. It would be awesome if I can meet any of you that live in or near Tokyo so I can check out you guy's GTRs. Please let me know.

If you are wondering why I am attending a Honda event, well the NSX is my second dream car 2nd to the GTR, I am hoping to get a NSX in the future after the 2nd generation NSX come out with the V8 (Hope I can afford it!!). Also since there are so few GTR owners here that I can hang out with, so I hang out with the NSX crowd instead. Plus it is a rare oppounity for me to see my dream land, Japan =)

Jeff

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Hi there...your car looks great!! Congrats on a very wise choice!
I know it must be hell to get it road legal in California, so respect to you for proving to be a real GTR freak:)

I'm also going to the Motor Show in Makuhari...don't know when yet...but it sound like a good opportunity to meet up....

BTW...what happened to your front spoiler??? You know the black plastic thing under the front bumper?? Don't tell me it's illegal to have or somethin'

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dino, nice to meet you. I just read your profile, we are the same age, that's way cool! What is your background? Are you a native Japanese?

Thanks for the kind word, the GTR indeed is a good choice, anyone that know anything about cars that are into Japanese cars would agree GTR is the king.

Yes I am a GTR freak ;p It is a very time consuming and costly process to make the GTR road legal here in California. Only GTR freak would drive a GTR in California, that's why there are so few GTR here =( I actually thought about importing a 71 KPGC10 since it is such a cool car, I can legally make it happen, but getting parts and servicing it proved to be too difficult, so I gave up that idea. Driving a KPGC10 in California would be like a dream though.

I am going to the Tokyo auto show on Monday Nov. 5th, I would love to meet you in person! If is possible, it would be amazing if you can show me some car related things while I am in Japan. Oh I would like to rent a car to drive while I am in Japan, do you know if any car rental company rent out Mitsubishi Lancer EVO V, VI or VII? If they do, how much would it be? I think that's the only car I like to rent since that is the only performance car that we don't get to drive in the US.

The front spoiler was never put on from the Nissan factory, because the importer don't want to scratch it during shipping. It is on the front pessanger seat, that's the pile of stuff on the seat in the interior picture. I will put it on once the car is ready.

I just check out the picture on your website, nice car! Funny I just bought some of the same parts you have, they are:

Nismo white face gauge cluster
Nismo MFD2
Nissan floor mat with the GTR logo on it =)
Bride Brix adjustable seat in red

I am worrying about installing the MFD2, is it a difficult process? Maybe you can give me some pointer on that? And is it possible to have the GTR NISMO logo stay on the screen or it just come on for a couple second when the engine is started?

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question for you Dino, is that a functional electrical cut off switch in the electrical plug location? And what is that black button behind the shifter? I remember from the MFD2 instruction manual, it mention putting a button there, is that for the MFD2?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome

Hiya Jeff,

Welcome to GTR-land, the black button you mention next to the shifter is for the laptimer function on the MFD.

/Dan

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Hi there Jeff,

Would be nice to meet up, but it looks like I'll be going either the first or second weekend to the Motor Show....not 100% sure yet though.

Regarding the rental of a Evo 7...uhm.... I'm not really sure where you could go for that, as most people usually settle for a Micra/March of something...

The MFD2 is not too hard to fit...although I had mine fitted by someone who knew what they were doing. After fitting, a sequence of button pressing is required to launch the self diagnostics check and then once that is over everything should be OK. The Nismo & GTR logo only comes on for a few seconds after you switch the car on...or it stays on all the time if you leave the key in the position the to get the stereo working.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How much do you have to pay for insurance in California? Did you get it through Motorex? I guess not because as far as I know Motorex can only bring GTRs which are 2 years or older:confused: Is that true? BTW very nice GTR.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts