GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Amerikiwi said:
I wanted the car tuned by "Mines" who are considered one of the best in Japan. So it had to be done before shipping off to NZ. I also wanted the car to be reliable and an everyday driver with 500-600hp and "Mines" could provide that.

One of 500 Special Edition cars tuned by one of the best tuners and all done in Japan. I think I made the right decision. It makes for a special car I think with everything properly documented.

As far as running in goes I will run it in as if it is a new engine which it is.
Hi Amerikiwi,

Yes you did made the right decision. I would do the exact same thing if I can afford it :rolleyes:

Couple questions on your part choices, just like to know the reason behind some of the parts you picked. Since I am trying to figure out what I like to put on my own car. For most people, the cost would be the main factor, but obviously the cost is not a concern for you. Please understand I am not questioning your parts choice, I just like to know why people pick certain parts.

LM GT-4 aluminum wheels............why not the LM GT MAG to save some weight? Is it because you afraid of them cracking?

Super camshaft Mine's In252/Ex252 lift:10.05mm..............on the Mine's catalog, there are 2 types of cams listed, either In252/Ex252 lift:9.1mm and In260/Ex252 lift:In10.2mm/Ex9.5mm. Are your cams setup something special Mine's do for you or it is a new setup they have?

Metal head gasket Tomei................why Tomei? Since all your other parts are from Nismo, HKS, is somehow Tomei make a better head gasket then HKS and Nismo?

Front pipe pro 2 Mine's Stainless Steel.................what is the reason you picked the Stainless Steel one over the Titanium one?

Any reason why you didn't get the Mine's Carbon Fiber driveshaft?

Again, your car is absolutely gorgeous and perfect. My car will have the same spec one day, probably a year or 2 from now :p

Thank you very much in advance.

Jeff :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
bnr34vspec2 said:

Hi Amerikiwi,

Yes you did made the right decision. I would do the exact same thing if I can afford it :rolleyes:

Couple questions on your part choices, just like to know the reason behind some of the parts you picked. Since I am trying to figure out what I like to put on my own car. For most people, the cost would be the main factor, but obviously the cost is not a concern for you. Please understand I am not questioning your parts choice, I just like to know why people pick certain parts.

LM GT-4 aluminum wheels............why not the LM GT MAG to save some weight? Is it because you afraid of them cracking?

Super camshaft Mine's In252/Ex252 lift:10.05mm..............on the Mine's catalog, there are 2 types of cams listed, either In252/Ex252 lift:9.1mm and In260/Ex252 lift:In10.2mm/Ex9.5mm. Are your cams setup something special Mine's do for you or it is a new setup they have?

Metal head gasket Tomei................why Tomei? Since all your other parts are from Nismo, HKS, is somehow Tomei make a better head gasket then HKS and Nismo?

Front pipe pro 2 Mine's Stainless Steel.................what is the reason you picked the Stainless Steel one over the Titanium one?

Any reason why you didn't get the Mine's Carbon Fiber driveshaft?

Again, your car is absolutely gorgeous and perfect. My car will have the same spec one day, probably a year or 2 from now :p

Thank you very much in advance.

Jeff :)
Hi Jeff.
If I were to do anything else it would have been brakes, but I can do that in NZ after I've driven the car. Actually I do have a budget and the Mag Wheels and Carbon Driveshaft did not seem necessary to me and Iam concerned about the Magnesium wheels as per what you stated.

I used Shin's advise mainly when it came to the engine because I don't know 1/50th of what he knows about Skylines. But basically these parts is what Mines uses to produce a 520hp @ 1.2 bar car. Because I have the N1 engine it is not dangerous to run 560 hp or so @ 1.4bar on 98 Octane. (for short periods!!) And it will be reliable (driven sensibly)

I picked the Nismo "S" tune suspension as it is adjustable and comfortable for road use. More comfortable than the "M Spec" suspension evidently. I also liked the ammount it is lowered and iit works with the wheels and tires.

As far as the cost in its present state (Incl. container shipping and compliance etc in NZ) it is less than a Standard VS11(non NUR) into the States as I lucked out with $USD to YEN to $NZD exchange rates.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Answer

Hi, Jeff,

There are reasons, of course.

1) Nismo LM GT-4
It is two reasons.
The car will go to NZ and if he choose the "Mag", he will not
be able to repair it when he damaged the wheels.
Second, it is only available in white, and we have agreed
white wheel with black car is not our preference.

2) Mine's 252/10.5mm Camshaft
This profile camshaft is brand new line up.
Mine's made special profile of camshaft for Nur spec.
I used to use 252 cams and I am now using 260 cams,
and my feeling of the engine response is better in 252 cams.

3) Tomei Metal head gasket
Mine's has start using Tomei head gasket since this year
for customers' cars, and it is good.

4) Mine's Front Pipe Pro2
He has chosen Mine's titanium exhaust and it is 90mm
diameters.
Mine's has three type of downpipes.
Front Pipe Pro: 70mm x 2 - 80mm
Front Pipe Pro Titanium: 70mm x 2 - 80mm
Front Pipe Pro 2 : 70mm x 2 - 100mm - 90mm
Usually, you cannot choose Front Pipe Pro 2 with
Titanium exhaust because of the connection diameter.
We have processed both Front Pipe Pro2 and titanium
exhaust to fit each other.
Mine's demo car including the black car in the UK has
Front Pipe Pro2 with Titanium exhaust.
It is only available in Mine's factory servicing.
Amerikiwi's one is exactly the same exhaust system
as Mine's demo car.

5) Mine's carbon fibre prop shaft
Amerikiwi just did not order it.;)

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Amerikiwi said:

Hi Jeff.
If I were to do anything else it would have been brakes, but I can do that in NZ after I've driven the car. Actually I do have a budget and the Mag Wheels and Carbon Driveshaft did not seem necessary to me and Iam concerned about the Magnesium wheels as per what you stated.

I used Shin's advise mainly when it came to the engine because I don't know 1/50th of what he knows about Skylines. But basically these parts is what Mines uses to produce a 520hp @ 1.2 bar car. Because I have the N1 engine it is not dangerous to run 560 hp or so @ 1.4bar on 98 Octane. (for short periods!!) And it will be reliable (driven sensibly)

I picked the Nismo "S" tune suspension as it is adjustable and comfortable for road use. More comfortable than the "M Spec" suspension evidently. I also liked the ammount it is lowered and iit works with the wheels and tires.

As far as the cost in its present state (Incl. container shipping and compliance etc in NZ) it is less than a Standard VS11(non NUR) into the States as I lucked out with $USD to YEN to $NZD exchange rates.
Hi Amerikiwi,

Thank you very much for explaining everything to me, all these infos help me tremendously with picking parts for my car.

Also THANK YOU for telling me your car + all the modification cost less then what I pay for my stock GTR, that make me feels very good :rolleyes:.................haha.....just kidding with you, I just happen to live in the wrong country to drive a GTR :p

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Re: Answer

Hi Shin,

Thank you very much for your answer to my questions, I still have a few things I am not too clear on, hope you don't mind answering them. Please see below:

2) Mine's 252/10.5mm Camshaft
This profile camshaft is brand new line up.
Mine's made special profile of camshaft for Nur spec.
I used to use 252 cams and I am now using 260 cams,
and my feeling of the engine response is better in 252 cams.

Do the Mine's Nur spec Camshaft 252/10.5mm require machining of the head in order for them to fit?

So how much peak high rpm power do you gain with the 260 cams, is it worth losing engine response?

4) Mine's Front Pipe Pro2
He has chosen Mine's titanium exhaust and it is 90mm
diameters.
Mine's has three type of downpipes.
Front Pipe Pro: 70mm x 2 - 80mm
Front Pipe Pro Titanium: 70mm x 2 - 80mm
Front Pipe Pro 2 : 70mm x 2 - 100mm - 90mm
Usually, you cannot choose Front Pipe Pro 2 with
Titanium exhaust because of the connection diameter.
We have processed both Front Pipe Pro2 and titanium
exhaust to fit each other.
Mine's demo car including the black car in the UK has
Front Pipe Pro2 with Titanium exhaust.
It is only available in Mine's factory servicing.
Amerikiwi's one is exactly the same exhaust system
as Mine's demo car.

Is the Front Pipe Pro 2 made out of Titanium?

Thank you again for all of your help :)

Jeff

·
Registered
156 Posts
bnr34vspec2 said:

Hi Amerikiwi,

Thank you very much for explaining everything to me, all these infos help me tremendously with picking parts for my car.

Also THANK YOU for telling me your car + all the modification cost less then what I pay for my stock GTR, that make me feels very good :rolleyes:.................haha.....just kidding with you, I just happen to live in the wrong country to drive a GTR :p

Jeff
Ooops! Sorry Jeff, I could have phrased that better. BTW what are you using for a security system and are you happy with it.

Russell

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Russell,

Don't worry about it, I was just playing with you ;)

I haven't have time to fit a security system to my car yet, for now I am VERY protective of the car, never park in the public unattended.

Take care,

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just stunning!:p

Amerikiwi:
Would u give me permission to post pics of your skyline at the bmwm5 messageboard? They love to see different supercars over there, especially skylines (they can't get enough of those apparently!). If u allow me, I will definitely give credit to u as this is ur car. Here's the link to the messageboard: www.bmwm5.com

·
Registered
156 Posts
GT-R
No problem at all - seen as I have a 2001 540i here in Germany.
Just tell them that I will be selling the BMW though:D

B

·
0 Posts
yes indeed, you are definetly one of the lucky one's! who knew a nur could look so good.:smokin: i did and so did everybody else.ha

B

·
0 Posts
hey you got a mini cooper cool! is it tight inside the cockpit by the way?
Dave

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Nice choice of car and tuner. You won't be disapointed!

As for Mag wheels, a bit of info.
I was very keen on securing magnesium wheels for my previous car, an Evo 6 Makinen. The white wheels were totally destroyed by excessive and abrasive brake dust.

I was told by two different wheel manufacturers (Speedline and OZ) that Magnesium wheels did NOT come recommended for road use. Their fragile nature was just not suitable off track. Coupled with their incredibly high prices (Magnesium is a much lighter metal) it was no longer an option.

Having said that, if I could afford it, the new Mines BBS Magnesium wheels are simply put, a work of art. But then at £1100.00 each you'd expect them to be!

Cem

21 - 40 of 57 Posts