GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
sounds like its a high detergent oil
if so it would decarbon a knackered engine abit
i may be wrong but if i read that on a oil can i would consider putting it in my old transit van maybe :D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Dont touch it, we have a a chemical report on this stuff and its not good.

Cheers

Guy.
are there any oil additives that you endorse?
(i have always stayed away from them myself TBH)

kind regards, brian

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
So when i put this oil in,it will repair my spun bearing and a scratch in the cylinder from a knockdamage,perfect,where can i get it,i buy everything:chuckle:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
on ebay next to electric turbo and resistor mod ;)
These parts are next on my list,allso need a turbosound/blowoff-thing with a small speakerbox:chuckle:

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be frank we've not found one yet. Maybe one day

Cheers
Simon
Hi Simon, it is such a shame that you continue to bad mouth RESTORE. Are you so scared of AMETECH ENGINE RESTORE OIL, particularly when neither you nor Opie Oil nor your backer, Fuchs Oil have EVER actually tried RESTORE in a real life worn engine. All I can say is that 3645 ebay.co.uk clients can't be wrong (99.9% approval so far). oh yes there were 3 negatives: one complained about the postage being too high, another parcel got lost and one man blamed us for his broken cam belt (had never bothered to change it at 70,000 miles). I see you on every UK forum bad mouthing a product you have never tried. Why don't you call me sometime and we'll discuss a real engine trial. Thanks DaveB *** if you are interested in real life testimonials.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Dave,

Can I suggest that you check your facts. I am not on every UK Forum bad mouthing Ametech in fact I have never bad mouthed it.

I have merely stated on less than 10 UK forums that we have a chemical report on it and do not recommend the use of it. We are on more than 300 uk forums and could have posted the report on all of them if we had wanted to bd mouth you.

You have a copy of this report sent to you by me personally and you have seen what Mr John Rowland said about it.

You will have also read his final comments on his report.

Quote:

NB: THIS PRODUCT MUST NOT BE USED IN ANY GRADE OF FUCHS LUBRICANT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER.

Unquote:

Just what do you expect me to say to Members of this Club who use Fuchs/Silkolene Oil? Oh it's fine!

For your information, Fuchs is not my backer, they are a supplier to us. We have access to their lab services for testing of oils etc anytime we wish for which we are most grateful.

I have been working with the GTR Register for nearly 3 years now giving advice to Members on oil issues. Many respect our opinion and use the oils that we supply.

You have merely come onto this forum to post you last statement, could I suggest that you do as I do and pay to be an advertiser if you wish to promote your magical engine restore here.

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just a little applied logic can tell us a lot, for example, does anyone believe that if such compounds held the magical properties suggested the oil manufacturers wouldn't be falling over themselves to add them to their own oils?

It would be a race to market, a whole new generation of super hype from numerous oil manufacturers would fill roadside signs from end to end of the country.

They don't for a very simple reason, they can't, because most so called wonder additives work on the psyche rather than the engine. They can also cause the actual lubricant itself to break down, I learned many years ago that an engine needs only one lubricant, the best quality oil you can identify and afford.

There may be benefits for those using cheap basic oils which lack any real lubrication qualities anyway, but I doubt a single quality lube manufacturer missed this wonderful opportunity to increase profits! For goodness sake, just look at the lengths some oil companies go to hype their products now, half the "synthetic oils" available are over 90% mineral, they wouldn't miss an opportunity like this!

Aitch

·
Registered
10 Posts
i can answer the last thread from aitch. it is really quite simple. the oil companies work hand in glove with the car manufacturers. the oil specifications are published by the engine manufacturers to be only-just-good-enough. they choose NOT to use super oils. the reason for this is that the car companies want to sell you a car that is only-just-good-enough. surprise surprise they WANT the components to wear out. most car companies nearly give away the car at just above their cost (the Japanese developed this and went from 0% market share to probably 60% of the worldwide market share). so how do they it? well, they sell the vehicles at just above their cost. then they wait and will sell you 10 times the cost of the initial vehicle in engines transmissions and spare parts. don't believe me? take any new £10k car on any dealer lot and price out a lifetime of new brakes and wheel bearings, engines and rebuilds, pistons and rings, new transmission, new engine, tyres, don't forget car park type accident damage (even a supermarket trolley can do £1500 of damage to a rear hatchback door if it has an overhanging spare wheel hanging on the back). so in the life of that vehicle, its' multiple owners will end up spending mulltiples of the initial £10k before it gets scrapped. plastic bumpers and kevlar and carbon-fibre unbreakable components, and lifetime savings from high quality oils from Opie and Fuchs, and rejuvenating Metal Treatments like RESTORE, are things that the car companies hate to think about .... daveb

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a Nissan Cedric with a sticky lifter and added 1/2 quart of "Mystery Oil" to a change, cleared it right up. (didn't fix with a regular change). However, add something like that to my beater Honda..ok, why not, they run forever anyway...to my GT-r...I don't think so!

·
Registered
227 Posts
As an engineer with some experience in metallurgy, I can tell you that no lubrication compound known to man can "restore" molecular degradation in metallic structures. That leaves one possibility only, to prevent that degradation in the first instance..which any correct spec top quality oil will do if used properly. By that I mean use a good product as opposed to a hyped product, and change it at least at half the suggested mileage, this will achieve a better result mechanically and financially as would using a cheaper or incorrect oil with additives and changing as recommended.

Until recently amongst my souvenirs I had a 1986 Mercedes 500SEL, this had been used and abused for nearly 200k, but when rolling road tested (at 178k)the examiner was surprised to see the chart showing absolutely no degradation from original spec. It used no oil (if the correct oil was used) and still returned the same MPG as when new, it never had any an additive of any sort other than oil in the engine.

The secret is that all oils are themselves additives, in that they are not pure products but derived compounds designed to do a job. If the naive suggestion you make as to colusion between lubricant manufacturers and car makers existed to that degree, the lubrication companies would leave themselves wide open to prosecution for deliberately inducing wear into our engines. The car manufacturers would continue however to do whatever they are doing and making their profits, the independant additive companies would also presumably continue to make their profits, why would the oil companies accept such a one sided arrangement?

Aitch

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
i can answer the last thread from aitch. it is really quite simple. the oil companies work hand in glove with the car manufacturers. the oil specifications are published by the engine manufacturers to be only-just-good-enough. they choose NOT to use super oils. the reason for this is that the car companies want to sell you a car that is only-just-good-enough. surprise surprise they WANT the components to wear out.

so like, everyone in le mans 24hr must put your crap in the engine then?:GrowUp:

most engine wear is caused in the first few seconds of startup because there isnt oil there...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
most engine wear is caused in the first few seconds of startup because there isnt oil there...
Not in the case of all oils.

Esters are polar and therefore electrostatically attracted to metal surfaces meaning far more cold start protection!

Cheers
Simon

1 - 20 of 52 Posts