GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now my cars really confusing me, Stripped a lot of bits offt the engine the other day, mainly to convince myself that my turbo's were intact! Put everything back together, took it out and it works!? Still got the spiking voltage problem and oil pressure guage problem but these are unrelated, the main running problems sem to have gone! Still a bit unsure though as under full throttle sometimes it feels as quick as it used to, and sometimes it doesnt, though it is still quick. Cars still booked in so maybe there is another underlying fault that needs addressing? Im a bit happier for a bit anyway as I have transport again.

Cheers Joel

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Weird .. but good news :D

Nice one dude, hopefully the remaining problems will be cureable with similar ease :D

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Joel,

It's been covered quite a few before here but it sounds like your knock sensor is detecting detonantion and cutting boost/retarding the ignition to protect your engine. It will do this until you turn the ignition off and will only operate again when it detects det. again....

Are you using SUL and are you running higher than stock boost?

Peter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
PeterE said:
Joel,

It's been covered quite a few before here but it sounds like your knock sensor is detecting detonantion and cutting boost/retarding the ignition to protect your engine. It will do this until you turn the ignition off and will only operate again when it detects det. again....

Are you using SUL and are you running higher than stock boost?

Peter.
Yes indeed...totally didn't think about the fact that you would have to disconnect the battery and therefore re-set the ECU.

This re-sets the ECU back to its original (i've never had a problem) status.

Peter is also right that you need to be running the best fuel you can lay your hands on...personally I use optimax at up to 1.4bar on my TT Supra.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use only optimax, havnt put anything else in since ive had it. The cars set up to run 1bar at high boost. Yeah could be a detonation problem, but what else would cause this? The fueling hasnt been uprated though ive been told it compensates itself for the increase in boost. Is this right? Took it out breiflt last night and it didnt feel overly quick though it did pul away from a scooby sti ok.

Billy

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Alex,

No need to disconnect the battery. The knock control resets itself when the ignition is turned off.

Peter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
PeterE said:
Alex,

No need to disconnect the battery. The knock control resets itself when the ignition is turned off.

Peter.
Ahhh I see the...Sorry my bad...I have to pull the EFI fuses or discon the battery but my Sup is different.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Billysan said:
I use only optimax, havnt put anything else in since ive had it. The cars set up to run 1bar at high boost. Yeah could be a detonation problem, but what else would cause this? The fueling hasnt been uprated though ive been told it compensates itself for the increase in boost. Is this right? Took it out breiflt last night and it didnt feel overly quick though it did pul away from a scooby sti ok.

Billy
Billy,

How is your boost controlled? Boost controller or modified factory system? If you are running 1.0 bar on the stock ecu, you are running the risk of det. as I'm told that the stock ecu will not be able to fuel that level of boost so you may be running lean. Best get it checked out before it ends up costing you.....

Peter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Stock ecu is more than capable of supplying enough fuel running 1 bar and above on stock turbos. I'd be more concerned about dropping an exhaust wheel or running out of injectors before considering stock ecu's ability.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im running stock ecu but a Blitz DSBC has replaced the stock sollenoid. Any easy way to check the exhaust blades?

Billy

·
Registered
720 Posts
As Peter said the stock ECU is on its limits at 1 bar, don't know how you can say its more them capable 'Emre'?. Don't worry about chcecking the caramic turbine blades Joel, even if you where to remove the turbo elbow; you wouldn't see much. Your quite safe to run 1 bar on the ceramics, but no more.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quite easily jrpidgeon... From my own and friends' experiences.

Unless you are changing injector sizes and turbos there is not much point in ditching your factory ecu. It runs your engine brilliantly upto 400-450hp in a stock gtr which is the limit of most factory components.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts