GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise what's the best way to get Apple or Android connectivity into a MY17 car?

(More than just a Bluetooth connection and a window - mounted brodit car kit)

I would prefer to keep the car as standard as possible, without trailing cables, rather than ripping out the dash and installing an aftermarket head unit - for cost and aesthetic purposes. But if there's a dongle I can have fitted behind the dash (along the lines of the aftermarket dealer fit Kenwood sat nav available for VWs) then that would be perfect.

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Wtf do you want that shit for? The MFD has everything you need including controlling your phone and Spotify/deezer

What more could you possibly want?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seriously?
I know that the head unit in my MY14 displayed track name via Bluetooth, but ate you saying that you can browse / select Spotify tracks and playlists on the standard head unit?
If so then you've truly gasted my flabber.

Neil

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Nah I just put it on flow and go with whatever comes on....... after all it's all based on my favourite music and I can skip the tracks I don't like with the steering wheel lol

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
It's possible to mirror the apple/android screen on the MFD but it would not have touchscreen connectivity (basically you'd be just throwing a video feed to the screen a la reverse camera).

Apple carplay/Android whatever its called, needs proper hardware integration which isnt possible without adding in an aftermarket touchscreen AV unit.

Why you'd want to hack a nice new MY17 to pieces to do that is beyond me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's possible to mirror the apple/android screen on the MFD but it would not have touchscreen connectivity (basically you'd be just throwing a video feed to the screen a la reverse camera).

Apple carplay/Android whatever its called, needs proper hardware integration which isnt possible without adding in an aftermarket touchscreen AV unit.

Why you'd want to hack a nice new MY17 to pieces to do that is beyond me.
Hacking it to pieces is exactly what I want to avoid. But I'm surprised that this needs a new screen given existing hardware is already touch enabled. Nevertheless, you seem to know more about the technical side of things than I do, so thank you for your perspective.

Neil

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
It would need a new screen because there is no way of feeding the touches back to the device as it is over AUX.

Basically you are stuck with the screen that is in it and have to make the most of it.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would need a new screen because there is no way of feeding the touches back to the device as it is over AUX.

Basically you are stuck with the screen that is in it and have to make the most of it.....
I'm not averse to having a new USB socket wired into the glove box (or repurposing existing Auxto act as conduit between phone and additional hardware hidden behind the dash which then feeds into existing dash display. Akin to the VW/Kenwood satnav solution I mentioned above. Surely the in - dash hardware could translate touchscreen input into android auto inputs?

You'll note the question mark at the end.... This is pure conjecture on my part but if there is a car hifi guru out there who can make this work rhen I reckon there's a market for it.
But then I'm not technically minded so, to those who are, this might just sound like the ravings of an SNP politician :)

Neil

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Hacking it to pieces is exactly what I want to avoid. But I'm surprised that this needs a new screen given existing hardware is already touch enabled. Nevertheless, you seem to know more about the technical side of things than I do, so thank you for your perspective.

Neil
Why are you surprised?

My washing machine has a touchscreen interface and i cant imagine it'll be easy to connect my ios enabled device to that either?

Hardware and software compatibility is a minefield.

Reactions: WingedBeast1968

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that I see the latest GT-Rs have Apple CarPlay installed on them.....

Is there a way to retrofit this to what appears to be the same screen setup as in my (2017) car?

[Embarrassingly, I've just been referred back to this thread - which I started - after starting a new thread to ask exactly this^^^. Oops.]

N.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
It***8217;s a software update apparently
The MY17 has the same hardware as the MY18 according to Westway Manchester, which means they don***8217;t have the same hardware.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts