GTR Forum banner

Another audio unit bites the dust !!

5K views 83 replies 26 participants last post by  grahamc 
#1 ·
Audio working fine yesterday, got in car today, started her up. MFD started up as usual, but would not go to any audio whatsoever, cd still comes in and out, the button still makes the bleep noise but never comes up, no audio nothing :(

Rang up Nissan to find out that the nav cars are only extended to 3 years warranty whereas Non-nav cars have 5 years warranty, pathetic since nav is not connected to the audio :( Only in the UK huh? since the American market and the Aussie market both have 5 year extended warranty on all MFD units.

Think I might be moving the the R8 after all, if this is the kind of thing Nissan think is acceptable.

#2 ·
Gutted to hear that Dean.

Out of curiosity, was it particularly warm in your car (cabin) recently? I noticed with a few other MFD failures that the car had been in hot weather and the cabin I guess would have been sweltering. Hasn't been that hot recently which kinda blows the theory.

#3 ·
Not that I noticed anything out the norm Mart.

One thing I do remember doing the day before it broke, was I put the FM Radio on, since I owned it I never put FM radio on ever, and I listened to radio for a good hour or so, then it's broke, related, maybe? probably just coincidence.

Since I owned the car its only been serviced at Middlehurst and Westover, both Nissan dealerships, my last hope is a good will gesture which seems extremely unlikely.

#4 ·
Worth following up, particularly from Middlehurst. I have had a few dealings and they have been helpful where possible.

As for the radio breaking it, not sure. What station? I listend to RockFM for a moment the other day and it was so bad that could have done it.

If you don't get anywhere, I wonder if it would be worth trying to update / rewrite the sat nav using the disks that are doing the rounds at the moment. I don't understand how or if the systems are linked in but if you have no other options then it might be worth a go, if you can get access to those parts of the system. Alternativly you might want to try the old fashioned system reset of taking one of the battery terminals off, leaving for a minute and putting it back on and seeing if that does anything?

I am not aware of anyone having pinpointed what it is that is causing the failure yet. Be it hardware or software.

Either way though, not a great place to be.

#6 ·
Update - I put in a claim for goodwill yesterday, Nissan head office phoned me today and told me that I have shown loyalty towards Nissan by keeping within the Nissan network for servicing and work done to the car with Middlehurst and Westover :) even took into account that I also owned a Nissan (350z) car also before purchasing a GTR, only thing against me is that I bought the actual car outside the Nissan network, which may reduce the contribution a little. I will wait with fingers crossed!

#12 ·
No I didnt take a warranty out, there was already a Middlehurst warranty with the car when I bought it, and Middlehurst have been brilliant with me after being let down numerous times by Litchfield as Litchfield is closer.

But that MH warranty ran out in April, and also not sure it covers audio.

#14 ·
Lack of returning phone calls, no answers to any emails whatsoever :( I called over 10 times also, told too busy to talk which is fine and i'll get a ring back, which never happened. They got such good praise I keep trying on a weekly basis with them, but may give up soon. Lucky however as I stayed within Nissan and may get some contribution towards a repair/replacement.

#17 ·
That's mad. I was there on the 4th September, and spent around 3 hours there. The phones were mental, but everyone took the time to speak politely.

Maybe try ringing at 9am, first thing?

#15 ·
Strange the experiences some people have I've certainly never been told we're to busy to talk I would assume one just wouldn't answer the phone at all if to busy.

As for e-mails I know they receive over 140 a day so if each takes 5 minutes to respond to thats nearly 12 hours I can see the issues in responses there but in honestly I've only ever rang them so no idea on the e-mail front personally as I'm old fashioned and prefer talking rather than writing as get straight answer and know my message is received.

#16 ·
I been wanting the Litchfield bell housing since April-May, and still from then till now phoning weekly, have not been able to get far enough to book the car in. I am starting to think they do not like me personally, whether it be my early times on the forum, or whether someone on here told them not to deal with me for some unknown reason :(

#24 ·
Welcome to the club Dean. Interested in the outcome as the reason Nissan have given many of us for their lack of goodwill is that we have not been loyal. Loyal meaning getting bent over at service times lol. Let's see how they try & wriggle out of your claim

#26 ·
Dean, I'm sorry that you are still disgruntled that we would not provide a warranty for your car when you called originally (a few times) due to its history.

IF you have tried to call 10 times since I would be surprised you did not get through at least once. I would be even more surprised if someone was rude.

We have been installing 2-3 bell housing per week since we released our fix so I'm sure you could have slipped the net if you really wanted one.

We don't have a blacklist but I'm happy to start one ;)

Iain

#27 · (Edited)
Hi Iain, no one has been rude to me, I never said that so please don't take it that way, whenever I phoned it has been polite and simply told I would get a call back. Now I have got you, can I get myself sorted for the Litchfield bellhousing?

Not sure what the warranty thing is about ? lost me there, as my car already had a warranty when I bought it, extended warranty that is. I think I may have enquired about one before I purchased a GT-R, but obviously when I bought car with an extended warranty into the next year, was no longer the case.

#29 ·
Brilliant thank you, I'll find out in next 48 hours what Nissan are doing about my Audio then I will know where I stand on getting other work done. IE: If they are not willing to pay for it, I will have to fork out myself, and If I do I might aswell get other work done while the Audio is being done, as I was told the new audio will wipe my Stage 1 Map which is worrying :(

#32 ·
Just found this in another thread, worth a shot.

Just in case this happens to you was quoted £8,500 for a new IT unit as had no warranty :bawling:

i had not used the car for a while so had her running all day with heaters on full car was like a oven.Then turned her off and off and hey presto radio and all other function work fine.

Went to the top gear show/classic car show at NEC in her and no problems all weekend dunno if it was luck or it actually did something maybe it was damp?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.