GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold my second GTR (2010), having decided on a blue 2011 GTR.
I've now started looking at Merc C63 AMGs (sorry).

Thing is, there are loads of immaculate low mile C63s around, though very few GTRs it seems. Especially from private sellers. My preference would always be to buy privately.

Anyone here with any experience of both cars ? Anyone with a perfect 2011 car to sell, or considering selling sometime soon ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Depends on your budget, but I'll tell you this a Merc is nice but it won't give you half the buzz a gtr will give you, gtr's are in a whole different league.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, I owned a black c63 amg performance from september 2011 for a year, very funny car, impressive sound and engine , not a single assle, when I sold it the odometer read 22k km.
Very nice driving experience , you can enjoy sending the car into oversteer and can drift if you want.
The only drawback is shifting gears, quite slow for such a car.
Anyway , in my opinion it is worth and if you buy second hand has a fine value for money, but as Takamo said, gtr is another planet.
Cheers

·
Registered
392 Posts
Depends on your budget, but I'll tell you this a Merc is nice but it won't give you half the buzz a gtr will give you, gtr's are in a whole different league.
Couldn't agree more.

I went from a C63 to my first GT-R, then back to a second C63 and now I'm looking for my second GT-R. The C63's are nice cars but I want the 'buzz' back and there's simply no comparison for me.

Other thing to bear in mind is don't catch a cold on the value of the current C63's considering the new model is being launched in Paris in October.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Its only half the car.
At track days ive had loads mates {63 Owner} want to jump back into my car to see what they have been missing,
There has even been on. Richard who drove his home, stuck it up for sale and wouldnt drive it again,
Hes now a GTR owner with a huge smile up North.

Goldie

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Just sold my second GTR (2010), having decided on a blue 2011 GTR.
I've now started looking at Merc C63 AMGs (sorry).

Thing is, there are loads of immaculate low mile C63s around, though very few GTRs it seems. Especially from private sellers. My preference would always be to buy privately.

Anyone here with any experience of both cars ? Anyone with a perfect 2011 car to sell, or considering selling sometime soon ?

Thanks.
You have pm

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Its only half the car.
At track days ive had loads mates {63 Owner} want to jump back into my car to see what they have been missing,
There has even been on. Richard who drove his home, stuck it up for sale and wouldnt drive it again,
Hes now a GTR owner with a huge smile up North.

Goldie
I agree with the part on track...for me I do about one track day a year...GTR was rubbish family car...rs4 gives me speed and praticality and missus happy to use...if I get another GTR it will be as an occasional car

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I agree with the part on track...for me I do about one track day a year...GTR was rubbish family car...rs4 gives me speed and praticality and missus happy to use...if I get another GTR it will be as an occasional car
Sorry. It is defo a second car. Ive a A4 Avant...
wouldnt class the C Class as a 4 seater. only if youve a very short family.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had late 2011 GTR and changed up to a 2013 C63, I thought the comfort and refinement of mercedes might make up for the loss in performance.

It did not, there are plenty of low grade materials on the C63, yes it's an amd but it's no SLS.

After driving the GTR I found the grip in the C63 scary at times, I would find myself taking corners 20mph slower than before.

If you like the paddle shift in tue GTR, please forget about using it on the C63, it's unresponsive, I felt myself having to shift twice at times and the delay became unbearable and I simply gave up.

It's worse on petrol and the insurance was the same as the GTR.

But it sounds bloody amazing.

In short I have sold up and put a deposit on a GTR, and I'm really excited. The C63 is a nice Car and the GTR is the type of car I always dreamed of owning as a boy.

·
Registered
743 Posts
c63

i think the c63 is a great car ,my son has one ,more refined inside and a drivers car ,would never swop my GTR but the c63 is a great driving experiance obviously its a shit car (if you cant drive )that is ........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
I had late 2011 GTR and changed up to a 2013 C63, I thought the comfort and refinement of mercedes might make up for the loss in performance.

It did not, there are plenty of low grade materials on the C63, yes it's an amd but it's no SLS.

After driving the GTR I found the grip in the C63 scary at times, I would find myself taking corners 20mph slower than before.

If you like the paddle shift in tue GTR, please forget about using it on the C63, it's unresponsive, I felt myself having to shift twice at times and the delay became unbearable and I simply gave up.

It's worse on petrol and the insurance was the same as the GTR.

But it sounds bloody amazing.

In short I have sold up and put a deposit on a GTR, and I'm really excited. The C63 is a nice Car and the GTR is the type of car I always dreamed of owning as a boy.
Couldn't have said it better myself....if it's noise some are after get yourselves a wife.... Lol

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Forget the c63. Great sound but that's it. I had one and it's the only car that I truly never connected with. I think it was the extremely slow changing gearbox.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Get a E63AMG wagon and keep the GTR for the weekend?

Best of both worlds, and nice comfy long range touring car for family trips, or the blitzing GTR when you want to track, you can even throw a bunch of stuff in the E63 and have it as your track tool/tire carrying car :D

There is not much that will compete with a GTR with grip and being able to carry speed around a track. Most mercs have slow gearboxes (most things do compared to a GTR) I know there are a few companies that modify the valves and units to increase the speed, but no first hand experience with that.

If you hardly track, and just want a fun car to hoon around in, I dont see why the C63 would not be a fun change of pace, obviously you will be slower, but it will also be a very different way of driving compared to the GTR.

I dont know what 'buzz' people talk about with the GT-R...if they mean the acceleration, then yeah fine, it is something that the GT-R does very well. Would it be something (personally) I would chase in every car I wanted to drive? No, because there is more to a car than its straight line, light to light, performance.

Personally, if you are not looking at it as a long term purchase, and can afford it, buy the C63, you may find its a lot of fun trying to control it and find DIFFERENT ways to enjoy your driving. In the end, all you will have is the experience to say 'I liked it' or 'Meh, GTR was more fun'

·
Registered
438 Posts
To me the C63 was just another car, I didn't say good night to it like the GTR and I never just went for a drive in it.

With the GTR I would find myself miles from home with not a care in the world.

I got used to the grip in the GTR, but with the gear change in the C63 I never felt I could snap back into place as I just used it in Automatic.

I also found the Recaros in the GTR to be much more supportive and comfortable, the C63 is like sitting on the couch.

Everyone has a different fit, I had always wanted an AMG and I am glad I owned one.

I won't look back though when I pick up my MY14 on the 1st though, can't bloody wait...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's a pattern forming !

Looks like the search is on for another GTR then.
I may go and have a drive of a C63 just to put the thought of owning one to bed.

It cleare is all about the sound with the Merc. I have to agree, the GTR has it all.

Enjoyed reading all the replies so far. What a great forum this is.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
You guys must really push your gtrs to the edge if you find a c63 boring to drive near the limits!

Good idea! If you have the funds rent one for a few days and see how you enjoy it over a longer period vs just a short drive.

In the end, buy what you will love to be in.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
To me the C63 was just another car, I didn't say good night to it like the GTR and I never just went for a drive in it.

With the GTR I would find myself miles from home with not a care in the world.

I got used to the grip in the GTR, but with the gear change in the C63 I never felt I could snap back into place as I just used it in Automatic.

I also found the Recaros in the GTR to be much more supportive and comfortable, the C63 is like sitting on the couch.

Everyone has a different fit, I had always wanted an AMG and I am glad I owned one.

I won't look back though when I pick up my MY14 on the 1st though, can't bloody wait...
I know what you mean about drives for no reason in GTR...don't do that in rs4 though it better family and commuter car

1 - 20 of 55 Posts