GTR Forum banner

Another Multi Functional Display failure!

5K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  R35Audio 
#1 ·
A couple of years ago I had the MFD pack up, it was changed as a warranty issue and now the replacement one has also failed! Does anybody know if the second unit is covered by a warranty and has anybody else had a second failure with their units? Looks like Clarion who manufacture these have a major problem with either their design or manufacturing procedures.

#5 ·
When you say "failure" what do you mean?

May sound like a stupid question, but I ask because of the battery issues I'm having.
finally pulled a fuse that powers the MFD stereo a/c etc and the tester bulb went out. Do you know if there is a relay that powers this unit or is it a visit to a NHPC for a new system?

Cheers

stix

#7 ·
On start up the GTR logo appears on the screen then a screen appears which states "HDD problem, consult a NHPC". Below this the aircon temp shows and works as normal but no audio or gauge visual display.

#10 ·
Thanks to Tin and his link I've accessed the "hidden" menu and found an error code. The display is working again today but originally shut down on the way back from Blyton and again yesterday afternoon when I was doing passenger rides for a charity, perhaps it doesn't like going above a certain speed! :flame:
The errors which were stored are, Can communication circuit 39, AV circuit communication 39, Internal communication 39. Anybody shed any light on these errors?

#11 ·
After a bit more research it appears the numbers are not codes but the number of times the fault has occurred, I've cleared the errors and will try the car again today to see if it still shows further errors.

#13 · (Edited)
Did you clear the codes using the EcuTek cable Barry? Good luck getting it sorted buddy :thumbsup:

Edit: Just had a look at mine and I can see that you can delete the codes from within the system itself.

Barry, FYI, I also had 39 occurrences of that error codes so maybe that's something that is generated by Nissan when they do their testing as it seems strange that we both have the same number of errors?

#16 ·
Just a thought, could it be a temp related thing? As you mentioned it happened on the way back from Blyton & yesterday which was pretty warm too. Some useful pics on removing the mfd screen, not sure where the control unit sits..

Also would the newer 2012 'satnav' DVD update, update any of the supporting modules? Even though you don't have satnav, updating the firmware possibly may help?

#22 ·
You could be onto something here.. as there looks like a "clarion labelled" amp type unit located under the passengers seat, which doesn't seem adequately cooled?

Could it be similar to the audi fibre loop setup, where if the bose amp goes, it all fails..:confused:

#24 ·
The Bose amp (made by Clarion) is under the passenger seat. There is a grille above it to help ventilation. I've not heard of one overheating. In the USA, there are guys in Vegas driving around in 40 degree heat day in and day out and of course plenty of tracked cars. There might be a fault which might come to light in heat....probably a dry joint, but most problems with audio come from the AV unit failing. When you get problems, do you lose ALL sound.....phone, nav, music etc?

#25 ·
Mine has now had three sessions where it has stopped working in recent weeks. The screen loses the MFD visual function, a message comes onto the display which says "there is a problem with your HDD, visit your Nissan main dealer". Below that message the temp control is shown and this still functions. All music and AV fails to work. When it goes into this situation it is normally on start up and the initial clue it is going to happen is the GTR logo stays on for a couple of minutes rather than a few seconds, then the screen comes up with the above message. This is a non nav system and is a warranty replacement for the first one which failed, this unit is about two years old and I fully expect it will fail completely in a fairly short period of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.