GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
What about other engines with a different design in oil pump ?
I think there are things to learn from others engines. Does the 2jz gte face the same issues ? What about Honda engines and their high rpm ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
What about other engines with a different design in oil pump ?
I think there are things to learn from others engines. Does the 2jz gte face the same issues ? What about Honda engines and their high rpm ?
Hondas just dont break full stop. The 2jz gte is a superior engine to the rb26 for various reasons.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Then again Hondas weren't making engines with big amounts of power/torque.

Would like to see how the new turbo Honda engines cope with tuning etc...

What has torque got to do with a oil pump? A oil pump doesn’t have a lot of resistance.

The Honda k20 is on a flat drive oil pump drive and they have no problems, most turbocharged ones are well over 500hp and bounce of the limited constantly

·
Registered
776 Posts
Then again Hondas weren't making engines with big amounts of power/torque.

Would like to see how the new turbo Honda engines cope with tuning etc...
Torque is overrated, f1 engines are a prime example.

Honda engines can rev to 8500-9000 all day and can be tuned with a 10k rev limit without much issue. B20 Builds can be hammered and just take it.

The F20 can take 500 easy on standard internals with the 9k+ rev limit and hardly break a sweat.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What has torque got to do with a oil pump? A oil pump doesn’t have a lot of resistance.

The Honda k20 is on a flat drive oil pump drive and they have no problems, most turbocharged ones are well over 500hp and bounce of the limited constantly
Didn't say it had anything :)

I was referring to the comment 'Hondas just don't break full stop'. They can rev to 8500 time and time again because there isn't much power being made or much weight being lugged around. Don't think there are many engines that can last like the old Type R Honda engines that make big power/torque.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Torque is overrated, f1 engines are a prime example.

Honda engines can rev to 8500-9000 all day and can be tuned with a 10k rev limit without much issue. B20 Builds can be hammered and just take it.

The F20 can take 500 easy on standard internals with the 9k+ rev limit and hardly break a sweat.
Then again F1 engines are only carrying around a few kilos, put it in a heavy car and things will wear quicker no doubt...but again not referring to oil pumps etc...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I tend to think that crank shaft drive the oil pump so there must be a way of comparison between various engine and how the oil gear is driven (spline, flat, etc, etc). For sure, a bigger force (torque) from the crank will put more stress on the oil gear. Do Honda engines have similar torque as RB ? I would have thought the 2jz gte would be a good comparison from an oil pump only.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Didn't say it had anything :)

I was referring to the comment 'Hondas just don't break full stop'. They can rev to 8500 time and time again because there isn't much power being made or much weight being lugged around. Don't think there are many engines that can last like the old Type R Honda engines that make big power/torque.

Hondas are brilliant I had a 500hp turbo k20 ep3 before my skyline it was running 400 on stock engine for 30k miles I dropped in some forged rods and pistons and had up mapped to 500hp done 12k miles like that and was still running perfect 2 years later and it used to bounce of the limiter all the time.

The reason rb26 stock pumps and n1s break is there crap, Have you ever heard of a tomei pump breaking? Doesn’t Jeff ludgate r33 drag car run a tomei and that’s running mid 8s.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hondas are brilliant I had a 500hp turbo k20 ep3 before my skyline it was running 400 on stock engine for 30k miles I dropped in some forged rods and pistons and had up mapped to 500hp done 12k miles like that and was still running perfect 2 years later and it used to bounce of the limiter all the time.

The reason rb26 stock pumps and n1s break is there crap, Have you ever heard of a tomei pump breaking? Doesn’t Jeff ludgate r33 drag car run a tomei and that’s running mid 8s.
You must be one of the lucky ones, I had my old B18C5 rebuilt with Skunk2 cams etc, left it n/a but it failed. Was only making about 220bhp. Could well have been down to the tuner, they did have a bit of a bad rep.
No I haven’t heard of many Tomeis failing and I know how tough they are but they do appear not to be bullet proof. But again as you say there aren’t many examples about.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You mentioned torque.
You stated that it’s overrated and mentioned F1 cars. I was trying to make a point that in a heavy street car you need torque. Hondas are great and very reliable but they do lack torque. I had a bad experience in the Honda ‘tuning scene’ so it left a bitter taste in my mouth :chuckle:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Doesn't matter what an engine is in, car/bike/truck anything else.....if you raise the rev limit and hit it often, stuff will break.

Your taking them past their design tolerances.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
You stated that it’s overrated and mentioned F1 cars. I was trying to make a point that in a heavy street car you need torque. Hondas are great and very reliable but they do lack torque. I had a bad experience in the Honda ‘tuning scene’ so it left a bitter taste in my mouth :chuckle:
Those engines are 4 cylinder so less crank flex where as the longer 6 cylinder crank does suffer more.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Spline drive has less free play to begin with, flat drives have to have a certain level of clearance or they will bind up. These clearances are the problem when you bang on the rev limiter, the engine goes into decel and the oil pump gear unloads before getting shock loaded as the ECU lets off the rev limiter. If you look at the VQ engines Nissan ended up adding a second flat to the gear to try and strengthen it and that's for a crank that's half the length.

Spline drives also greatly increase the contact area. The same force over a larger area means less pressure.

I don't think Supertec is really doing anything incredible here, they basically took a 2JZ oil pump gear design and adapted it to the RB26.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Spline drives also greatly increase the contact area. The same force over a larger area means less pressure.
Which in the grand scheme of things is a good thing, Yes?

I don't think Supertec is really doing anything incredible here, they basically took a 2JZ oil pump gear design and adapted it to the RB26.
But by making these 2JZ type Spline Drive gear sets available to us all to purchase so we can fit them to an RB26 Crank and the RB related brand oil pump of Our choosing, Is this not also a good thing too??

Supertec's contributions here alone is certainly way more beneficial than anything I've ever done for the Worldwide Skyline Community joshuaho96....

JM2PW!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts