GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been boxing for a while now, my wrists are starting to give in a bit as i punch too hard for my weight (60kgs 5ft 8)
How do you strengthen your wrists?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Your wrists are giving in???

Never heard of that. Do you use wraps or not?

The only things you can really do are develop the muscles in your wrist to give you more rigidity, but this won't stop the bones and joints from wearing down. You'll need plenty of cod liver oil to keep them lubricated.

To strengthen your wrists you can try doing press ups on your knuckles as this keeps the wrists straight as you're pushing your body weight through them.

Also, sit down with a dumbell and rest your wrist on your thigh. Then simply curl the dumbell up and down using your wrist muscles only.

Hope those help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hey

best way to strengthen your wrists is to do seated barbell rolls , be in a seated postion with legs sholder width apart place each hand just over your knee palms facing up , your wrist should be pressed against your knee at all times have someone put the barbell in your hands and just let it roll down your hand slightly and then grip and lift back to strat postion your wrist should stay pressed against your knees at all times start with just the bar and once they get stronger add small amount of weight. this will build your wrist up and your forearms and will compensate the power when throwing a punch .... i use to box myself, hope this helps

supplements : Glucosamine Sulfate will help you as well

·
Registered
444 Posts
Those exercises build the muscles in your forearm, don't they? There are no wrist muscles. It's all tendons and ligaments (and bones). I could be wrong, though.

Are you sure you're punching with a straight wrist? If your wrist is slightly bent in any direction, that will affect things. Punch a bag (lightly) without mitts and check your wrists at the moment of impact. Do they give slightly?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I know a good way to strong wrists :D

I have particularly strong wrists myself :eek: :eek: :(

·
Registered
930 Posts
hi mate, im a thai boxer. Are you putting enough tape around your wrists? also basic things to watch is how you are hitting your opponent. sometimes if your punch technique is slightly out it can cause injury to your wrists.

To strengthen your wrists i would do wrist curls with a light barbell and maybe do some wide grip pull ups but i would bet on it having more to do with your technique than anything else :)

edited to say.......stop wearing 8oz gloves ya cheating bass :Dlol

·
Registered
510 Posts
Check how your punching. they way punch the bag especially can cause problems. I had the problem myself i done a few bent punches and i was in pain so teqniuqe is important.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i have been boxing around 11years and from what you say it does sound like your wrist is slightly bent on impact. but to help with strength i carry a squash ball around with me and just place it in your hand and sqeeze it as hard as you can loads of times and repeat in the other hand do this whenever you can through the day every day,hope this helps:)

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
koopa said:
start hitting with your elbows and shins instead :D
Elbows yes.... shins, you can sod right off!!! :)

Have to say I never quite understood that with Thai Boxing, shins hurt when people block them with their elbows, so why keep it simple and use the foot? Also, there's more speed behind a foot than a shin :D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Boxing

koopa said:
edited to say.......stop wearing 8oz gloves ya cheating bass :Dlol
start hitting with your elbows and shins instead
Why move up to 8oz gloves--6oz are better..

Elbow is great if used properly--a good fight stopper..I should know i taught Thai Boxing for long enough.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
There is a small amount of muscle on the outside of your shin.
Doing a "curl" action, much the same as you would to build up your forearms will develop this.
Also, running a milk bottle initially and then upgrading to a piece of bamboo [or similar] and running that along the outside of the shin will also help this development.
Whe sparring, use that part of the shin to block low/middle kicks and it can be quite effective.

Best thing for you to develop your wrists, is to do the knuckle press ups as suggested. Concentrate on having the main bodyweight going onto the first two knuckles. Do the pressups deep, no cheating. You could use a couple of bricks under your knuckles to raise yourself a little to get an even deeper pressup.

·
Registered
826 Posts
As a few have said get some decent wrist wraps to limit the chance of your wrists snapping backwards when jabbing, if you have particularly small wrists theres not a lot you can do really try a few excercises as mentioned and see if it helps at all.

My advice would be to get the wraps on tight and get glucosamine sulfate for joint pain.

S

·
0 Posts
This thread is an excellent opportunity for people to work out who not to p|ss-off hehe ;);)

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,028 Posts
ma1lik said:
Check how your punching. they way punch the bag especially can cause problems. I had the problem myself i done a few bent punches and i was in pain so teqniuqe is important.
Wrist wraps will help mate, But ma1lik hit the nail on the head. Technique is the key.

lol @ Senna.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am very big in to the kick boxing we do lift weight with arms flat on bench and just use wrists to lift em, Also push up are also very good for strenthening them up. If I was you I would prob use 2 bandages !! hope this helps.

P.S.. Least when I hurt a wrist I got 2 feet to use !! lol

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
xaero1 said:
Elbows yes.... shins, you can sod right off!!! :)

Have to say I never quite understood that with Thai Boxing, shins hurt when people block them with their elbows, so why keep it simple and use the foot? Also, there's more speed behind a foot than a shin :D
Because shins are unbelievably hard, and once you've destroyed all the nerves in your own shins with the old rolling pin so it doesn't hurt any more, it's your most powerful 'blunt' weapon (with your elbow being your most powerful 'bladed' one).

Back to wrists - most people punch totally incorrectly. Straighten your wrist so that you've got a straight line going down the 'tunnel' of your arm through your first knuckle. Joochom Seogi (horse-riding stance) is your friend here. Stand with your legs apart, feet slightly wider than shoulders and pointing forwards, then sit down into the stance. It'll ache at first, but the more you do it the better you get and the deeper the stance. Then just practice reverse-punching forwards. Make fists, start with your left hand at your hip, thumb facing up, and your right arm extended to about 80% in a short punch at chest height. Then reverse them, snapping the wrist as you drive it forward. It will help you straighten and 'clean up' your punch movements, because in the correct stance all the angles are 90 degrees (ie you're working in a flat box).

Once you get good, stick a punch pad or makiwari board on the wall, and punch into it - the better you get, the closer you will be able to get without transferring force into the board. Eventually every punch you throw will be full power, but you will be just brushing the board/pad with your leading knuckle. This will stop you over-extending your punches, an easy way to twist or otherwise injure the wrist.

Another good technique to build up the 'stopping power' of your punches is this. Stick a punch pad, makiiwari board or (if you're cheap :) ) a couple of yellow pages' on the wall. Get in stance, throw a straight punch at about 75% power. When your hand hits the board, instead of pulling away hold it there and start a 10-second count, slowly increasing how hard you're pushing into the board. Be at 100% effort when you hit 8, and then push through to 10, and release. This is a pretty tough workout on the arms so don't expect to be doing dozens of reps of these, but enough practice will drastically increase the power of your punches, plus you will build up muscular strength and tension throughout the shoulder and arm (including the wrist). You can then throw in variants, such as pushing through to 10 with the fist and then following up with a lateral elbow, although I'd have to double-check whether that's strictly Queensbury Rules :D

All this makes me want to pop down to training now :) But hangover says 'no'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts