GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going with a custom fab'd exhaust system and want an attractive rear Muffler,
I'd like it in complete Titanium preferably, with the bluey/purple tinge/discolouration...- I'm not so sure if this is due to heat from the welding, from directly burning the the metal at the end to create this effect, or if the general heat from the exhaust system will make the discolouration, I find this very attractive.

There are many stainless steel universal mufflers available on Ebay etc,. poor quality ones i Imagine with what look like fake titanium tips/pipe trims, somehow they've burnt them to get the blue-tinge...

I'd rather have something that looked the part, full titanium...

Size wise, I want to run 100mm piping through the middle of it with no baffles (yes I know will be loud, this is ok)...so the muffler itself will almost just be decorative, TailPipe Exit I would like around 4.5", Straight cut, maybe about 6" in length.

This is a full titanium universal muffler I saw in one of my Jap Tuning magazines, from a company in Japan called "GP Sports"

, costs ¥50,400 (£225)+ship.
I don't mind spending this region of money for the muffler,

Do Reinhardt (sp?) in Japan do universal mufflers?

But I have not been able to find any more locally available mufflers. (maybe here in UK)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The biggest problem you will find is no one makes a 4 inch inlet titanium muffler... I tried, with no success.

Also, Titanium doesn't weld to steel, so it need to have a clamping system for it to work. What this mean it is far too much hassle for most company to make a universial muffler.

Reinhard do make universial muffler (semi-ti), but with a 3 inch inlet it is useless.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nocturnal, we would probably run the 100mm steel pipe through the middle of the rear silencer (cut a 100mm hole in the rear of the muffler).

The Semi-Ti Muffler from Reinhard...do you have any details on this? I know you have dealt with them in the past mate.

·
Registered
379 Posts
titanium backbox

invo auto do a titanium back box with 100mm entry. I've got the stainless steel system with ti backbox on my r32 and must say that i've been very happy with it so far. one to thing to bare in mind is that this exhaust is very loud, i recorded over 120dB (peak) at 6000rpm when i measured it. take look at the link:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/59021-my-new-exhaust.html

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I have a 3" Titanium exhaust back box if your interested. I am replacing it for a larger system but will have to settle for a stainless one. Pity cause this thing is as light as a feather.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aki, Thankyou for the help, that is exactly what I'm looking for and will match onto the rest of the pipework which will be made in house by a friend fabricator, will probably make up a new flange to bolt the ti muffler to the rest of the system. 590+vat you paid got you the entire 100mm system and rear ti muffler correct? I will only require the muffler.

However, Nisfan, I may be interested if you can send me some details to [email protected]... I desperately want to run 100mm pipework though so will need to see how we can run 100mm piping through the centre of your muffler.

Regards

Laurence

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Here are some pics of the one I have, not sure who made it, may be an Invo Auto one. Good quality, excellent welded seams.

The colour hasn't really come out well in the pics, but applying heat to it does make it a deep glossy blue. Evident in the flesh, where I had the 3" SS pipe welded to the connector. You can see a glimpse of this in the second pic.

Tail pipe is 4", canister is about 5.5" diameter x 350mm.

If you wanted to bung a 4" pipe down it, I would think that would be quite easy. You could weld a flange onto the stainless exhaust, and rivet it onto the end of this one. Would be really loud without it being an active silencer. If you drilled loads of holes in the 4" pipe, it may even act as a silencer.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
sorry for the late reply. The Semi-Ti price, (actually, all price of Reinhard) had been raised up due to cost of materials. This move has made this product no longer interesting, and therefore Impulse Performance has decided to drop this products from their range. I will not be getting a Reinhard exhaust either for my car. Was looking for a few possible choice, but looks like the one I have in my car right now is as good as they are going to come, so I will probably keep it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts