GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a few have probably guessed I need to rebuild again but I'm going forged this time and I'm a little unsure as to which pistons to go for ..
Are wiseco pistons any good ?

·
Registered
893 Posts
You've got numerous good brands for pistons, it's mainly up to your budget and power goal to which you'll have to choose.

I've had good results / heard good stories about these brands:
- Wiseco (price / quality)
- Cosworth (a little more expensive, but a very high quality)
- CP (not for the high powers, but perfectly suitable for basic mods)
- Tomei (best quality i had, and includes the oil cooling channels in the pistons, can be installed in higher power cars)

There will be more brands, and some people might have bad results with the ones above, but this is just based on my personal experience.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
^^^ LOL

To the OP; the Wiseco Assymetric range is good, so is their 1400 range.

CP Pistons are good as well, especially the X forgings. Anyone that says CP pistons are no good for high power doesn't know what he's talking about.

Cosworth pistons are overpriced, just like anything else with a Cosworth label.

Tomei pistons are no better than any other leading piston.

Look at Arias, Mahle, Supertech, and Venolia too. Piston choice is down to intended use.

·
Registered
893 Posts
^^^ LOL
To the OP; the Wiseco Assymetric range is good, so is their 1400 range.
CP Pistons are good as well, especially the X forgings. Anyone that says CP pistons are no good for high power doesn't know what he's talking about.

Cosworth pistons are overpriced, just like anything else with a Cosworth label.
Tomei pistons are no better than any other leading piston.
Look at Arias, Mahle, Supertech, and Venolia too. Piston choice is down to intended use.
Aaah yeah Mahle indeed, that was the name i was looking for.
As i said, my description is purely my own experience, nothing else.:runaway:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you use arp studs on the rods Bernie ? How difficult are they to fit ? And Is there a method also what size pistons do you run

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I''ve got wiseco pistons - tweenie rob recommended and used them. Standard rods arp studs.

440bhp at the hubs

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have a personal grievance on the wrist pins. so in mine I have a std set of rb26 wrist pins.they are too long and need machining at either end equal to match the wiseco.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so its length that's the issue not diameter ?? I have the full set of wrist pins from the oem pistons

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I''ve got wiseco pistons - tweenie rob recommended and used them. Standard rods arp studs.

440bhp at the hubs

And you have good results with no issues ?? Are you running the wiseco pins or oem nissan ?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There are several Wiseco pistons, you need to find out which ones are best for your intended use. The Assymetric and the 1400 series are very good, but if you aren't building a drag motor that needs to rev to 10,000RPM you don't need that level of piston with a high spec, get a lower spec piston instead.

JE make good pistons too :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are several Wiseco pistons, you need to find out which ones are best for your intended use. The Assymetric and the 1400 series are very good, but if you aren't building a drag motor that needs to rev to 10,000RPM you don't need that level of piston with a high spec, get a lower spec piston instead.

JE make good pistons too :)

I only plan to run a 7250 rpm limit as the turbos don't make much more after that ..

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't suppose anybody knows the correct bore clearance for 86mm wiseco pistons K591M86 just so I can check the clearance on my block before I hone it ... I don't really want to overbore if I can help it

·
Registered
818 Posts
As a few have probably guessed I need to rebuild again but I'm going forged this time and I'm a little unsure as to which pistons to go for ..
Are wiseco pistons any good ?
Thats a few rebuilds now Daz?? maybe cheaper to get a tuner to do it all, its a bit more expensive but you have comeback if you use a reputable tuner. I only had one rebuild in 9 years and that was to go for a 2.8 kit after a porous block causing cooling issues.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not really its only been rebuilt once Chaz by myself I bought it with low comp on 3&6 due to ring land failure and its through my own damn laziness it's failed and I won't make that **** up again

1 - 20 of 25 Posts