GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks.
just wondering if any of you may have some suggestions what bhp i may be putting out with the few mods ive got.

1,greedy front mount intercooler {running standard boost}
2,hks air induction
3,de cat exhaust section
4,kakimoto cat back exhaust.
5,de restricted

would be very gratefull of some figures from any of you well knowledged skyline owners,
many thanks
gavs gts:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would have said about 250-260 at the fly assuming you have a healthy car in ever other respect. They very rarely make their standard power without mods.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hang on ive been told,they are 240 standard,15 hp for the cat,8 for the exhaust,6 for the air filter and 25 for the intercooler so thats over 290 there

·
Registered
25,671 Posts
i think as always people get blinded by the bhp figures

your running standard boost , its going to be like a standard car

decat will help but not much

how can an i/c make 25bhp by putting in a larger intercooler and keeping the boost the same?

HKS intakes , are not very good at filtering anyways so your running duff filters

so long as your happy with the car thats all that matters,

is bhp all that important?

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
You will get minor improvements over stock from basic stage 1 mods - ie exhaust, filters, ecu. If you want significant gains, get a bigger turbo. This "8bhp from an exhaust" addition is Max Power-esque rubbish. Don't get blinded by bhp figures quoted - most of them (including the manufacturer's) are rubbish. As matty says, it's more important to have a car running the way you want than a headline bhp figure.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
hang on ive been told,they are 240 standard,15 hp for the cat,8 for the exhaust,6 for the air filter and 25 for the intercooler so thats over 290 there
Are you serious? Add some octane boost for 5 HP, some stickers for 5 and your over the 300 mark...:eek:

·
R35 Section manager
10,980 Posts
We presume the turbo is standard,so will not allow more than 1 bar?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
very funny u idiot suppose yours is the best skyline about you w****R

Are you like 17? Get real man, ever since you came on this site it's been one thing after another. Have you ever heard that its better to remain quiet and thought a fool than speak up and remove all doubt?

Did you really think that adding all the claimed HP that each piece advertises could be so easily added together for a grand total? And I am the idiot???:chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats better somebody with some sense.
as far as i know the turbos standard have only just bought the car.
how can i tell if its not standard?
new on the modifying scence so not clued up on uping the boost etc

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If the car has no boost controller and the fuelling, ecu, afms etc are all still stock, it is pretty safe to assume that you have a standard turbo.

I have seen cars with more mods you have make less than the manufacturer quoted 250bhp.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
put it this way before i had the skyline i had a 1999 impreza uk model.
it had hks air intake,hks full exhaust including de cat,and it had been chipped.
if im not getting 250 bhp out of my skyline,how come its hell of alot quicker and faster than the scooby?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just to expand a little on what the others have said about manufacturers hp gain claims...

Some manufacturers may claim 5hp for this and 8hp for that, this doesn't always represent top end gains. Sometimes mods might add 5hp in the mid range and lose 2hp top end therefore your car may have less hp that it did before the mod went on but it would be quicker than standard through the mid range.

Swapping the intercooler on standard boost wouldnt do much, maybe you'd get a few ponies here and there because the intake temperature may be lower thus creating denser air = more oxygen per square cm = more power.

- Kevin.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
would the best way for me take it to a rolling road and set up so we can see what boost etc its running at and what power its throwing out?
just thinking way would someone fit a front mount intercooler and not have the boost turned up?

·
Registered
785 Posts
would the best way for me take it to a rolling road and set up so we can see what boost etc its running at and what power its throwing out?
just thinking way would someone fit a front mount intercooler and not have the boost turned up?
Mapping an ecu can be expensive so some people tend to get all the mods required for xxxbhp first before getting their car mapped. If you've taken over someone elses project they've obviously moved on before finishing what they started.

Get the car on the rollers to find out its hp figure.

...and on that note you might want to keep in mind that hp figures DO vary from dyno to dyno. If you want a true idea of your gains, get the car dyno'd, get it tuned and then get it dyno'd on the same dyno it was on before :thumbsup:

ps - Dont forget top take your video camera :D

- Kevin.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok mate theres a place near to me called turbotronics have been using them on my turbo cars for a while now,will take it week after next as off work for a week then.they got a 2wd rolling road and all the bollocks to set up any car.will let you know

·
Banned
165 Posts
Your best bet is to RR it, but the figure could vary depending on which RR you use and will just be a reading on that day, it may the differ the next.
It doesnt work like that, it isnt a simple sum of all mods with their supposed gains, try the above and get a vid up too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts